Postby workinVan [OP] » December 22nd 2009, 9:03pm

low down
new battery check
new starter check
new cables from battery to starter and ground check
new cps check
charging the battery at this moment
in that order
my starter just barely spinning won't turn over currently, it did before the new cables once while using the block heater but had an electrical burning smell which i think might be the new starter as there was some "oil" on it at the bottom of it which was very clean and not from the truck with 150000 unmaintained mileage its way dirtier
reading about halfway between 8 and 14 on the battery guage
i bench tested the starter and it does turn
i believe i drained down the original battery while cold starting it so replaced it quick but the new one may not have been fully charged hopefully thats it but....
what am i not considering?

i need this truck for work and am not making any money while i sit here so please as soon as you read this throw some education at me i've been reading any posts related on this issue i could find
2000 cargo 4.3 v6 W rwd, a/c, G80, silverstars, hood struts, magnaflow cat
and a big honkin air filter....possibly for sale make an offer
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: workinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): notjim
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Need some help!
    by 90astro » August 10th 2020, 12:47am in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by 90astro View the latest post
    August 11th 2020, 2:43am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 3:28am

Re: i need this thing to run

Postby $uperJoe » December 22nd 2009, 10:02pm

do you have another car with jumper cables or try to hook both batteries up with jumper cables and see if it spins faster
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 23rd 2009, 1:23am

well after plenty of testing i took the starter back and got it replaced it spins now and cranks over.
the problem now seems to be that the engine just doesn't want to fire as if its fuel isn't there so now i get to figure that out
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan
Years of Membership: workinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full years

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 23rd 2009, 4:22pm

starter fluid not working must be a spark issue
thanks all for the help
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 23rd 2009, 7:29pm

so i changed the coil because there is no spark and still isn't.
anybody have any idea what would be causing this?

please anybody whos experienced this what can cause the coil to not send power,it is new and so is the wire from it to the distributer
?!???!!??? :feedback: :pray:
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan

Postby $uperJoe » December 23rd 2009, 10:56pm

check the spark module in the bottom of the distributor
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 26th 2009, 11:34pm

new plugs,wires, dist cap,and rotor added during a christmas eve rain storm and i still can't get spark through the wiresto the plugs. anybody have a clue what could prevent that from working and what to test to figure out why?
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 27th 2009, 7:56pm

ok people i went and got a code reader cuz i needed one and i'm getting a code p0336 generic crank pos sensor A circuit range performance.
its a new sensor and had the same code for the old sensor.
any ideas how to fix this i.e. new wiring to the sensor or what?
anybody know how to test the wiring? :banghead:
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 28th 2009, 2:35pm

well it runs now changed the brand new cps with another brand new one and yay
thanks for nothin
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan

Postby astroturf » December 28th 2009, 3:21pm

workinVan wrote:well it runs now changed the brand new cps with another brand new one and yay
thanks for nothin

Ya See, that's part of being in a forum. Maybe it's the first occurrence of this problem here. And now "You are the Man" for fixing and logging here what you found. So, from myself, A Big Thank You. To follow up with a fix is appreciated. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby rev_les » December 28th 2009, 6:26pm

Sometimes it takes time for the right person to be on here and read a particular problem as well, and being a holiday weekend, a lot of folks aren't around.Many of us have been on here chasing a problem, logging what we tried, and what worked and didn't, so that next time, someone can look up a problem and have an easier time of it. Always read the codes BEFORE you spend a dime on a single part, and yes, new parts can be defective, which is why so many on here recommend OEM parts, as they have a better standard to pass before they're used on any given vehicle in the first place. If the CKPS gives you that code again, check or replace the plug to it, and look for chafed wiring or wiring broken inside the insulation.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby workinVan [OP] » December 28th 2009, 7:08pm

rev_les wrote:Sometimes it takes time for the right person to be on here and read a particular problem as well, and being a holiday weekend, a lot of folks aren't around.Many of us have been on here chasing a problem, logging what we tried, and what worked and didn't, so that next time, someone can look up a problem and have an easier time of it. Always read the codes BEFORE you spend a dime on a single part, and yes, new parts can be defective, which is why so many on here recommend OEM parts, as they have a better standard to pass before they're used on any given vehicle in the first place. If the CKPS gives you that code again, check or replace the plug to it, and look for chafed wiring or wiring broken inside the insulation.

thanks for trying to be nice but i've been posting for a week with only one response
a i am broke, oem = no house payment for me and i use this truck to make my living so i haven't been making any money.
b i'm working in my driveway in freezing conditions cuz i don't have a garage
c i didn't get that code until 3 days after trying to diagnose, none before hand
just imagine how my holiday week has been, so pardon me for being frustrated
maybe next time i'll just be as insulting as possible in the beginning so i get responses quicker :blah: :blah: :blah:
Original Poster [OP]
workinVan