Very strange electrical issues....why me!

Very strange electrical issues....why me!

Postby astrotopia [OP] » July 22nd 2014, 12:06am

I have a 01 Astro ls with 135k miles and have started to have some issues.
The first problem was no brake light due to flasher switch issues. The switch was replaced, but still needed to wedge a piece of cardboard in slot to work. I found that great idea on this site...thx!!

The engine will not turn off with foot on brake pedal...I could live with that!

The engine now will not turn off w/o a slight wiggle of the flasher button and, a small amount of smoke rises from the column.
I love this van and do not want to sell it...it rides smoother than any BMW.
Being an Air Force brat growing up in the 60's and 70's ....I didn't listen to my father when he was teaching me this stuff!
I was going to replace Don Meredith when he retired or start a rock band!

Thank You in advance for any help! :ty:
Original Poster [OP]
astrotopia
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: astrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Very strange electrical issues....why me!

Postby Lumpy » July 22nd 2014, 12:50am

astrotopia wrote:
I was going to replace Don Meredith when he retired...

You were going to be a permanant guest star on "Police Story"?

... :confused:

First of all, "Why Me". It's everyone, it's not just you. Your van has more miles than most people put on cars. Most "normal" people trade their car every couple of years at least. But we "abnormal" people choose to drive them forever. Parts wear out. We have to replace them or pay to have them replaced. That's just the way it goes. It's not the vehicle spirits picking on you. It's the normal degradation of all things vehicular.

You've got problems in your steering column. I'm not sure if the brake thing is part of that or not. ANYTHING on these vans can be replaced or repaired. You just need the tools and the information on how to get to the part.

Some would suggest you dismantle the steering column and replace the internal, failing parts. Others would suggest you simply replace the entire steering column. This is where YOU get to decide what you're comfortable doing. Look for the threads on "Replacing Ignition Cylinder" and "Replacing Multi-function Switch" (the turn signal lever) and similar. Then read about "Replacing steering column". If you're not very comfortable dismantling vehicles and putting them back together you might be more comfortable doing the entire column.

In addition to the threads here, there's likely YouTubes about it. Pick the one with the least mumbling, the least camera shake and the most appealing grunge metal music accompaniment... :dunce:

If you replace the whole column, you'll have to get a used Steering Column at an auto junk yard/wrecker/breaker/U-pull, whatever it's called in your area. If you go for the replacement parts instead, those are likely available all as new replacements. It may be cheaper to replace the whole thing, but you'll have used parts. It's more expensive to replace all the guts, and you'll need more tools, but you'll become intimately familiar with YOUR steering column internals.

Then of course, you could pay someone else to do the work. That's always insanely expensive of course. But sometimes you have to make the trade-off because of lack of tools, lack of confidence, lack-o-slack-dats-a-fack-jack.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby redfury » July 22nd 2014, 4:56am

I'd replace the column and be done with it....with the exception that you will have to do the key relearn for the vehicle anti theft system most likely, unless you are switching over the ignition cylinder from the old column. Anyway you look at it, it's not going to be just a few bolts a couple of plugs and you are done. It's going to take at least a day when it's all said and done at least, so give yourself the weekend..start on Friday as soon as you can, because something is likely to run amok, and you'll need to consult the internets for a solution at some point.

Or, you'll get lucky and everything will fall apart and go back together like peanut butter and jelly.

Good luck with that.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby RECox286 » July 22nd 2014, 3:28pm

Don't be cowed by lack of experience to have the confidence to do yer own repairs...

None of these guys and gals (me included) popped out of mother with wrenches and screw-

drivers in their wee bitty hands. We all got to where we are by taking baby majorsteps, and

progressing as we learned and gathered the tools to do increasingly more complicated tasks.

That includes learning about all kinds of machinery, not just the awsome beast before you.

First thing to do: Get yourself some technical literature. That means, go to the LAPS and

check out their repair manual aisle, go to the library and see what is available there, do a

search on the internet (Amazon and E-bay included) for "Factory Service Manual" (your particular

flavor and year vehicle). You can't get a better data base to know what any system

component is, where it is, how it works, and some hints for trouble shooting the system.

Next, you may want to gather some tools, and diagnostic equipment. Common hand tools

are readily available at Harbor Freight, Sears, LAPS, Big Box, etc, and basic diagnostic equipment

can be had at LAPS, Sears, and Harbor Freight at reasonable Prices. There are no reasons why

you shouldn't be your own mechanic, especially since what ever you fix will be making you more

at ease to tackle even more complicated jobs (washing machine and dryer included !)

You can do it. (I will now step down off the stump)

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby astrotopia [OP] » July 22nd 2014, 5:41pm

Thank you for all the advice! Lumpy, I was going to quarterback the Cowboys after the greatest man to walk the the earth( Don Meredith) retired!
:bow:
Original Poster [OP]
astrotopia
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: astrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full yearsastrotopia has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » July 22nd 2014, 6:57pm

astrotopia wrote:
...I was going to quarterback the Cowboys after the greatest man to walk the the earth( Don Meredith) retired!
:bow:

Dandy.

Lumpy
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby akmo23 » July 22nd 2014, 7:26pm

:confused:
Last edited by akmo23 on July 23rd 2014, 7:00pm, edited 6 times in total.
akmo23
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: akmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA): Jinxlinx
Extra Info: LS

Postby Lumpy » July 22nd 2014, 9:58pm

akmo23 wrote:
...when you lose a path (fuse) and shove card board in there you revert that path to series.( It is redundant like this) Half of the amperage on the circuit is lost, but twice the voltage goes through one fuse...

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 22nd 2014, 10:26pm

17553ImageImage
"If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent
CoolCat4Christ
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 8
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LS 4.3l RWD

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 23rd 2014, 12:26am

Holy David Copperfield, my image disappeared.
Let's give this another try....SIM SALA BIM
17553ImageImage
CoolCat4Christ
Years of Membership: CoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full yearsCoolCat4Christ has been a member for 7 full years
Location: Born In East L.A. Currently residing somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley of Southern California
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » July 23rd 2014, 12:50am

CoolCat4Christ wrote:Holy David Copperfield, my image disappeared.
Let's give this another try....SIM SALA BIM

Not so much I see it twice now.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » July 23rd 2014, 1:09am

I see it twice as well. Turn up your amperage. Your voltage is too high.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 23rd 2014, 1:32am

I only see it once. Hmmm.....my voltage, therefore, must be too low. Time to turn down the amperage.
17553ImageImage
CoolCat4Christ
Alias (AKA):

Postby akmo23 » July 23rd 2014, 3:09am

:confused:
Last edited by akmo23 on July 23rd 2014, 7:42pm, edited 7 times in total.
akmo23
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: akmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full yearsakmo23 has been a member for 7 full years

Postby akmo23 » July 23rd 2014, 4:41am

:confused: ...
Last edited by akmo23 on July 23rd 2014, 7:00pm, edited 2 times in total.
akmo23
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Lumpy » July 23rd 2014, 5:33am

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby akmo23 » July 23rd 2014, 1:46pm

:screaming:
Last edited by akmo23 on July 23rd 2014, 7:13pm, edited 2 times in total.
akmo23
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby 97cargocrawler » July 23rd 2014, 6:07pm

All I got out of that video was that some folks get to wear flannel jammies in the summertime :thumbup:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby akmo23 » July 23rd 2014, 6:26pm

I am out of this conversation. excuse the empty post or report them for deletion
Last edited by akmo23 on July 23rd 2014, 7:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
akmo23
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby CoolCat4Christ » July 23rd 2014, 7:42pm

17553ImageImage
CoolCat4Christ
Alias (AKA):

Next