trailer harness location

trailer harness location

Postby g0t0pless [OP] » March 2nd 2010, 12:14am

According to my repair manual, there is a harness somewhere near the rear of my van that has all of the wires for my turn signals, brakes, backup lights, etc...

The manual states they are "taped and wrapped". But it doesn''t say WHERE.

Any ideas?
Original Poster [OP]
g0t0pless
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: g0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full yearsg0t0pless has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Harness Clip Rubbing Through
    by TBLBill » October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm in Electrical
    0 Replies
    Last post by TBLBill View the latest post
    October 22nd 2020, 1:14pm
  • 2002-2003 engine wiring harness difference
    by Rinny » December 1st 2020, 7:01pm in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 4:59am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 25th 2021, 11:39am

Re: trailer harness location

Postby astroturf » March 2nd 2010, 12:22am

g0t0pless wrote:According to my repair manual, there is a harness somewhere near the rear of my van that has all of the wires for my turn signals, brakes, backup lights, etc...

The manual states they are "taped and wrapped". But it doesn''t say WHERE.

Any ideas?

Jack storage area, on the right as you face the open rear doors. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby AstroPole » March 10th 2010, 5:28am

astroturf wrote: Jack storage area, on the right as you face the open rear doors. Jim

Just to add to that:

On my '95 Astro it was in plain sight in the jack storage area. On my '96, I had to reach up inside the rear pillar (by way of the jack storage area) to locate the trailer harness. The '95 had a female connector on it. The '96 was simply a wrapped bundle of wires with a tag labelling the wires.
:2:
I drive a truck that looks like a van but has the steering assembly of a car.
I drive an Astro.

1995 Astro LT RWD 258,000+ Miles
1996 Astro Base RWD 176,000+ Miles - Gotta fix the Spider!

:tools-hammerdrill:
AstroPole
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: AstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Joel
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby tedanderson » March 10th 2010, 5:47am

Just out of interest and curiosity, I am going to look again tomorrow. The other day when I saw this thread, I pulled back the plastic trim at the edge of the door and found a looped of a pair of wires with a tiny piece of electrical tape around it. One is blue and the other is light blue. At first I thought that was it based on the color scheme for the 7-pin trailer connector on my Trailblazer.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby astro355 » March 10th 2010, 9:20am

tedanderson wrote:Just out of interest and curiosity, I am going to look again tomorrow. The other day when I saw this thread, I pulled back the plastic trim at the edge of the door and found a looped of a pair of wires with a tiny piece of electrical tape around it. One is blue and the other is light blue. At first I thought that was it based on the color scheme for the 7-pin trailer connector on my Trailblazer.

Those are speaker wires, blue and light blue.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby AstroPole » March 10th 2010, 2:09pm

96Harness.jpg
Here's the trailer harness on my 96. Notice Dark Green, Light Green, Brown, Yellow, White to coincide with your trailer harness wire colors. It *almost* is as if it comes out of the back of the tail light. It was wrapped in tape.
96Harness.jpg (112.63 KiB) Viewed 1425 times

95Harness.jpg
Here's the '95 trailer harness. It's just laying there in the dirty old jack compartment. I had to unwrap it to connect the pigtail.
95Harness.jpg (126.72 KiB) Viewed 1425 times
I drive a truck that looks like a van but has the steering assembly of a car.
I drive an Astro.

1995 Astro LT RWD 258,000+ Miles
1996 Astro Base RWD 176,000+ Miles - Gotta fix the Spider!

:tools-hammerdrill:
AstroPole
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: AstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroPole has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Joel
Van Model Year: 2001

Postby tedanderson » March 10th 2010, 2:53pm

astro355 wrote:Those are speaker wires, blue and light blue.

So you mean.... ah! :banana: Thanks for that info! That's going to save me some work. I wanted to install a set of rear speakers for when I am working out of the back of the van but I kept putting it off.

I guess it would make sense that all of our vans have the same wiring harness in spite of the variation in option packages.
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan

Postby Big_kid » March 11th 2010, 2:05am

I wound up making my own. Soldering & heatshrinking the wires was easier than pulling off the panels looking for a harness I didn't think was there. :shrug:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8