Trailer lights took out parking/dash lights...

Trailer lights took out parking/dash lights...

Postby BoilerBob [OP] » April 19th 2010, 5:21pm

Hey guys - I was messing around with my trailer lights this weekend and now my parking lights and dash lights do not work on the van. The headlights do work. I was adding side marker lights to the trailer. I checked all fuses under dash and they seem to be fine as well as the light fuse in the fuse box under the hood. Any other ideas or fuses that I may be missing?

Thanks for your help.
Original Poster [OP]
BoilerBob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: BoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Trailer lights took out parking/dash lights...

Postby astroturf » April 20th 2010, 4:24am

Bump for the new guy.
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Astroplane » April 20th 2010, 6:50am

I'm assuming they still do not work with the trailer disconnected? Stop/Haz fuse 1, 20 A and PK LPS fuse 9, 20 A are in question. Please double check ALL fuses under the dash and under the hood. Let us know what you find.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby BoilerBob [OP] » April 22nd 2010, 3:22am

Hey guys, sorry for the late reply but I thought I'd get an email when my thread was replied too and I didn't. However, I did check all fuses under the dash including the hazards and parking light fuses and they are good. The hazard lights do work. I will check the rest of the fuses under the hood tomorrow. The headlights and high beams do work. However, when they are on, neither the parking lamps nor taillights are lit.

Thanks,
Bob
Original Poster [OP]
BoilerBob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: BoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full yearsBoilerBob has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby BoilerBob [OP] » April 22nd 2010, 3:26am

That is correct, they do not work with the trailer disconnected. The brake lights do work.
Original Poster [OP]
BoilerBob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » April 22nd 2010, 3:33am

Hows the condition of the trailer wiring/plug. Any damage, smashed/pinched/ scarred wires, corroded/damaged plug that could cause a short.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby BoilerBob [OP] » April 22nd 2010, 4:24am

The trailer I plugged into had a bad ground wire and questionable wiring leading to the taillights. Assuming one or both of these were the culprits, where else should I be looking besides a blown fuse? The trailer wiring on the van is relatively new and worked fine with other trailers.
Original Poster [OP]
BoilerBob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby LEVE » April 22nd 2010, 4:36am

Do you have a schematic of the harness, and it's pin-outs of the plug?

If so, then make up jig consisting of a socket and a bulb. Then just connect it to the ground and a pin for the Left Brake light and press the brakes. If the bulb lights, that circuit is good. If not and the fuse blows... you found your culprit. If it's good, move on to the left brake light, then the turn signals (though I doubt this is the problem). This way you test the van's wiring to the pins of receptacle. Now let's pretend the van's wiring is all good.

Now take all the lamps out of the trailer and plug it into the van. Does the fuse blow? If so, the problem's in the wiring. If not... start adding one bulb at a time till you find the circuit that's bad.

My guess is that there's a wiring miss-match between the van's harness and the trailer's harness.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby BoilerBob [OP] » April 22nd 2010, 4:58am

LEVE,

Thanks for response. I am very confident that it was a problem with the trailer's wiring that caused the problem. However, I am just trying to fix the lights on the van without a trailer right now. The van's wiring has been used on numerous trailers before with no issues. Are there any other remote fuses to check besides the fuse box under the dash on the driver's side and in the fuse box under the hood?
Original Poster [OP]
BoilerBob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astroplane » April 22nd 2010, 6:26am

If all fuses OK, remove Headlamp switch from dash, check for power on Orange wire. If no power, check continuity on Orange to I/P fuse block. If power is OK, jump Orange and Brown wires to turn on the park/taillights. If lights turn ON, check all connectors at headlamp switch.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT RWD