1988 Astro power windows non-functional

1988 Astro power windows non-functional

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » April 30th 2010, 1:45am

Alright so I've attempted to troubleshoot this myself and ripped half the dash apart done some continuity checks on wires and so forth but my power windows are still non-functional. I'd appreciate any further thoughts on this oh and yes I've checked the fuse. :D
1988 Chevy Astro Cargo 4.3L V6 RWD "Carovan" by Pyramid - Traded For Yaesu FT-817ND
1997 Chevy Astro Cargo 4.3L Vortec V6 200HP! Stock except for a funny switch on the dash that only lights up nothing more!
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Years of Membership: JebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L Vortec V6

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 1988 Astro power windows non-functional

Postby Jasen » April 30th 2010, 1:51am

Goobered up switches?
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » April 30th 2010, 2:04am

The switches seem fine to me, the guy I bought it from said they worked for about 2 weeks and stopped working also I've got 12v on the passenger side on one of the wires for the window switch but I don't have any voltage on the driver side even on the connector in the body channel that leads into the dash.
1988 Chevy Astro Cargo 4.3L V6 RWD "Carovan" by Pyramid - Traded For Yaesu FT-817ND
1997 Chevy Astro Cargo 4.3L Vortec V6 200HP! Stock except for a funny switch on the dash that only lights up nothing more!
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Years of Membership: JebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full yearsJebusKrist has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby LEVE » April 30th 2010, 2:21am

88-window.jpg

Take a look at the schematic....
also I've got 12v on the passenger side on one of the wires for the window switch
Which wire from the schematic has the voltage? is the common circuit ground viable?
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » April 30th 2010, 3:06am

I've got 13.71v on the pink wire at the right side switch as for ground I was unable to find a ground at the switch as for common circuit ground I'm not sure how/where would I test this at?
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astroplane » April 30th 2010, 7:39am

Check for broken wire in door hinge area on drivers' side.
Astroplane
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Astroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full yearsAstroplane has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » April 30th 2010, 7:54pm

I tried to ohm out the wires going through the door from inside the van to the switch and could only get readings in the 20k ohm range which I assumed was because of the wiring being hooked up to the window motor any tips on how/which wires to test?
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby LEVE » April 30th 2010, 7:58pm

I would remove the switch, and then go under the dash, remove the kick panel and find the door harness to main connector. When you find that... connector, disconnect it and measure the wiring to see if you've got continuity. It wouldn't hurt to open/close the door a few time while you're measuring... as an additional measure.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » April 30th 2010, 9:30pm

I've narrowed it down to the power and ground broken in the door pivot area as other had suspected, I ran jumpers from 12v and ground directly to the switch and the window operates fine albeit a bit slow. How would you recommend replacing/repairing these wires since they're all loomed up and hard to get at due to the window track? I was thinking cut the loom off at some point attach the new wire and fish it back through the door anything easier?
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby LEVE » April 30th 2010, 10:02pm

Pull off the interior door panel...

Run a wire the same gauge as the broken wire into the loom.

Push it through the door wiring protector into the body of the van.

Use some Scotchlock connectors and splice them into both sides of door wiring.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » May 6th 2010, 8:22am

Well I've completed the repair and it was indeed the wiring in the rubber boot between the body and the door it was worse than I actually expected. I ended up having to rebuild the entire section that passes through the rubber boot as every single wire was completely severed or two bends away from being severed. I'm happy to report that not only do both windows and all power locks now function but while I had it all torn apart I also added a remote keyless entry seeing as I didn't receive door lock keys with the van now I can actually lock the vehicle!!!! many thanks to all who helped me with figuring out the problem. :chevy: :driving:
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby JayDubya » May 7th 2010, 6:32am

I have owned my van only a short time, and from reading here on this forum and elsewhere on the net, I see that the door jamb wiring on these vans is a trouble spot. My wiring wasn't damaged from flexing, but corroded in half at an internal splice in the door boot area. It seems strange to me that this problem exists since there are no visible reasons for it, and it is almost unheard of in other cars.
'99 Astro Mark III conversion hack job
JayDubya
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: JayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full yearsJayDubya has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD Hightop conv

Postby JebusKrist [OP] » May 7th 2010, 6:52am

I think its lack of movement ability and cheap wiring used by the manufacturer, I pulled the entire wire harness out from the door and found it lacked little to no ability to shift in the rubber boot even going so far as to have a "tongue" on part of the rubber boot electrical taped to the wire bundle actually preventing most if not all movement.
Original Poster [OP]
JebusKrist
Fueling (Full tank)
Fueling (Full tank)
Alias (AKA):