Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

pass side turn signal bulb blows when headlights turn on

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  vicf6 
#1 ·
im a fairly good mechanic all around but this has me a little stumped. i put clear turn signal lenses on my 92 astro and bought some nice led amber bulbs and resistors to fix hyper flash. got them all wired up and working like they should but then at night i hit the headlights on and the pass side bulb went out. figured it was a faulty led so i ordered another pair and it ended up doing the same thing. if i keep parking lights on only they work but as soon as the headlights come on it goes out

#5 ·
I put it very close to the socket itself. Also if i put a regular 1157 bulb back in there and cut the 1 wire so the resistor isnt connected it works fine. I feel silly riding around with an led bulb on one side and a normal bulb on the other side

#6 ·
well i thought i had fixed it on monday, i checked my wiring and it matches the drivers side, checked bulbs and the posts line up the same. it was working fine for 3 days then decided to go out wednesday. so thats the third led bulb thats gone out on me but the drivers side is just fine. i looked up the wiring diagram and noticed the drivers side ground goes to the headlight then to the chassis, the pass side goes directly to the chassis which is kinda weird. i ordered a different style of led bulb and i also put in a electronic flasher and got rid of the thermal flasher and it already seems more stable but not sure if that what was blowing out my leds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.