Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Warning!!!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  webcat 
#1 ·
This PCM has been modified for off road use only.
Please confirm the programming alterations prior to installing.
Installation should be done only by ASE certified mechanic .
Improper installation or use may result in permanant damage to the PCM or vehicle and may even cause death!

How could this cause death?
How could it damage the PCM ?

#3 ·
In there words they said they gave it a performance tune so your probally right about them removing the rev limiter .
I dont see how it could cause death or damage if i unplugged the battery and then swapped PCM s , plug the battery back in and then drive it around for about 20-25 minutes for it to relearn.

#5 ·
They have cover everything now days. There are those people out there that want to make a million dollar without making........remember the hot coffee from McDick fiasco? :lol:

#6 ·
Mr_Bowtie said:
They have cover everything now days. There are those people out there that want to make a million dollar without making........remember the hot coffee from McDick fiasco? :lol:
He said McDick... :character-beavisbutthead: :character-beavisbutthead: :character-beavisbutthead:

#7 ·
Its called liability. I remember when we (brother and myself) reprogrammed pcm's and some of the stupid things people would do, etc. I remember one guy that bought a shelf unit and then claimed that the pcm caused his heater motor to stop working.

#8 ·
hahaha my friend changed out his cars computer but since his car was an earlier model he had to go back a generation, his year wasn't cracked at the time. The only side effect was his gas tank reader was backwards. False hope when he's on full hahaha!

#9 ·
Installed new PCM , raced out of my parking lot to see if i felt a differance but noticed it ran like crap and a few minutes into my ride it smelled like rotten eggs , very depressed :banghead: kept cruising in stop and go traffic for about 6 miles hoping it just need relearned and took the freeway on the way back , before i got all the way back home it started running like a champ and no more rotten egg smell .
Its been two weeks and all is good :thumbup:

#11 ·
JayDubya said:
webcat said:
I just saw this. I'm thinking about purchasing a reprogram. Now that everything is settled in on your ride, what advantages have you noticed over the stock setup?
Yes Yes, What is the end result? Thanks, Jim

#12 ·
JayDubya said:
webcat said:
I just saw this. I'm thinking about purchasing a reprogram. Now that everything is settled in on your ride, what advantages have you noticed over the stock setup?
My van came with a Vortec 305 , I had a Vortec 350 installed in its place and for the first 3 months i ran it off the 305 PCM with no problems and it ran perfect and seemed to be tuned very well .
Really i would prefer to keep my money , I dont think i needed the 350 tune but i went ahead and got it just for piece of mind to know i have the correct tune for my new engine .
http://www.fullsizechevy.com/showthread ... vortec-PCM

#14 ·
Its ok , it will make it run better but i dont know if it makes a big enough differance to justify the money.
The link i posted sums it up , it will run off the 305 pcm just as well as if it had the 350 pcm but one guy suggests getting the 350 pcm anyway and explains why.

#15 ·
webcat said:
Its ok , it will make it run better but i dont know if it makes a big enough differance to justify the money.
The link i posted sums it up , it will run off the 305 pcm just as well as if it had the 350 pcm but one guy suggests getting the 350 pcm anyway and explains why.
I'm Sorry. I skimmed through the other guys... I wanted to get to the good stuff. Web's opinion. Thanks Web. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.