New Problem Orange Fusable Link"C"Overheating,Wheres it run

New Problem Orange Fusable Link"C"Overheating,Wheres it run

Postby bosco2023 [OP] » July 3rd 2010, 9:00pm

I started my 94 astro awd "W" code van last night to go to the store and it started fine. Proceeded to turn on the headlights and the van stalled. Now the fuel pump wont buzz up, interior lights, mirrors and headlights dont work also. I do have tails though. It did this a few months ago, and just turned back the key and procceeded to start it and it has been fine since then. I checked both fuse blocks fuses inside since it is a conversion, checked the main ground under the hood infront of the battery (loosened, sanded all the connections then retightened the nut), and checked the 4 orange fusible links behind the battery going into the firewall by the main harness. Also seperated the checked the two plus between the battery and drivers fender. Not sure what these are for? I seperated the 3 relays above the hvac fan and checked the connections. What ties the lights and fuel pump together? I do believe that I have ignition power as this morning I went out to try to start again, turned the key, heard no fuel pump whine but van started for 3 seconds probably due to residual fuel pressure overnight and since its hot today. So it seems I have fire, but no fuel. Whats going on? The fusable links look intact and not burnt, could they still be blown inside the orange wires?

NEW INFO BELOW.........

Ok. Went back outside and started to check wires again. Now noticed that the weather pack connector on the fusible links that snap into the drivers firewall is melted around the orange wire marked "C". The connector was pushed backed in a little so I pulled it back out with a little screwdriver and cleaned off the soot and plastic and put some dielectric grease on it and pushed the connector back into the firewall. Bingo, now the lights are back on, fuel is pumping, radio is back on and the van starts and runs. I reached down to make sure it was tight and that third wire marked"C" was very hot again within 15-20 seconds. I shut the van off and unplugged it. I know there is resistence somewhere, but where exactly does those 4 fusable links go to? The only thing I can think of is that Ive had this van since December and got it with 125k on it and now it has 135k, the pump has been loud(normal as I have read) since ive got it and only has been bleeding off pressure over 1 hour the past month making me crank it for 7-10 seconds each time. I wonder if there is something going on in the tank? Is there direct draw(high current) on that fusable link marked "C"? Or does it go to the ecu? Could the wire be getting hot from a not so good connection? I have to wait till Monday to source one from a junk yark unless I can get it from my local Autozone or Advanced a/p.

Rich
Original Poster [OP]
bosco2023
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: bosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: vin w

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2004 Astro Cargo Van Power door Lock Problem / Questions
    by DD1 » October 9th 2020, 4:12am in Electrical
    6 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 26th 2020, 1:40am
  • New HO 145 Amp Alternator Upgrade
    by Mmusicman » September 22nd 2020, 8:08pm in Electrical
    31 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    December 22nd 2020, 9:59pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 2:02am

Re: New Problem Orange Fusable Link"C"Overheating,Wheres it

Postby LEVE » July 3rd 2010, 9:34pm

I checked both fuse blocks fuses inside since it is a conversion
I'm a little confused. Since the van's a conversion van... are you working on a Non-OEM-Standard wiring harness? Or, are you working on an OEM section of the harness/fuse block assembly?
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby bosco2023 [OP] » July 3rd 2010, 9:48pm

Ive narrowed the connection down to the 4 orange fusable links under the hood behind the battery. The "c" prong in the weather pack has melted a little and cant figure why its getting hot. I know there is resistance there, but it could of been like this for 6 months since ive gotten it. I know these links are fed directly from the battery by the smaller black wire coming from the battery which is fed by the stock 105 amp alt. This connector is not making a clean connection unless I push it real hared with my hand to keep connection and as im doing that , I can feel the 3rd orange wire "C" heating up pretty fast. I made sure the headlights are off and stereo is off. The reason I say that is cause those are the other 2 things that I lost last night when the van died. It seems all cause of where that 3rd fusable link goes. Fuel relay above the fans looks in good shape. Connections are clean.

Rich
Original Poster [OP]
bosco2023
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: bosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full yearsbosco2023 has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby bosco2023 [OP] » July 3rd 2010, 9:52pm

LEVE wrote:
I checked both fuse blocks fuses inside since it is a conversion
I'm a little confused. Since the van's a conversion van... are you working on a Non-OEM-Standard wiring harness? Or, are you working on an OEM section of the harness/fuse block assembly?

Standard harness with a smaller 10 spot block just below to the right of the stock fuse panel. Its weird, I start the van last night and hit the headlights and it stalls. I find the melted plug and clean it enough to make contact and run the fuel pump to start the van, but wire still getting hot. Even with the lights off. Go figure...Maybe there is resistence in the melted plug??

Rich
Original Poster [OP]
bosco2023
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby rev_les » July 3rd 2010, 10:02pm

If the connector's that bad, it couldn't HURT anything to replace it, and go from there.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby bosco2023 [OP] » July 3rd 2010, 10:45pm

rev_les wrote:If the connector's that bad, it couldn't HURT anything to replace it, and go from there.

I am going to do that first thing Monday. Since I last posted, I took some 14 gauge wire and clipped that orange wire behind the plug and ran it to the positive side of the battery where my other wires come in. I ran the van for about 5 mins and left the head lights on also to create the most draw and the new wire nor the older orange got more than warm. its hot outside so maybe it just felt warm from being in the sun. Im gonna take it out in a lil bit for a short drive and see how it does and go from there, Here is a few photos after I put the wires back together. You can see the plug in the lower right of the first photo.

Original Poster [OP]
bosco2023
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby _brad_ » May 27th 2013, 6:05pm

I just wanted to share with everyone that I have had this exact same issue happen on both my vans. What I did was the below:

- Unbolt the nut holding the weather pack connector to the stud bolt
- Snip all 4 fusible links off the wires completely
- Snip the 10g big main power wire on the left of the weather pack (this one goes directly to the battery
- Throw away the weather pack connector entirely

This will now leave you with 4 wires which were previously connected to the weather pack + 1 larger power wire from the battery.

- Buy a 4 or 5 wire ground bar (see attached picture for example)
- Insert all the wires into each ground bar hole and crank er down

I was only able to find a 4 wire ground bar at HD so I doubled up on one of the holes and then was able to use the center hole to bolt the bar back onto the frame stud bolt that previously had the weather pack on.

Note, the frame stud bolt is a dead connection and is not an open ground. Therefore, if you don't have an available hole in the bar to bolt to the stud, no worries.

This provides a superior connection with the least possible resistance. Note, it may be a wise idea to cover the bar with some electrical tape or something to prevent an accidental short if your working in there with metal objects.

I just did this again on my 2nd van after the weather pack connectors failed. This has been working great on my first van for the last 75k miles.

PS: Oh and almost forgot to mention; no you don't need a fuse here as long as you have good grounds. The only reason you need a fuse is if the connections inside the weather pack were to fail. So, in essence, GM created a solution to a problem that shouldn't have been a problem to begin with if they would have done something like the above to begin with. You have to remember, you still have the inline fuses under the steering column to provide protection.

_Brad_
Attachments
047569517310lg.jpg
047569517310lg.jpg (38.11 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
_brad_
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: _brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years_brad_ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995

Postby WoodButcher » May 28th 2013, 3:17am

Thanks Brad, It's unusual to get praise for posting in an old topic but in this case you've just cleared up a little confusion for me. :thumbup:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD