Speedo lights magically came back!

Speedo lights magically came back!

Postby standupnfall [OP] » June 27th 2015, 3:20am

Bought my 94 Safari SLX 3 weeks ago and the speedo and all the white backlight was out (idiot light all DID work)
TOnight everything worked perfectly, and they are incredibly bright!
Original Poster [OP]
standupnfall
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: standupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Jeremy

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Speedo lights magically came back!

Postby Lumpy » June 27th 2015, 10:47pm

CargoCrawler and I went over to your place last night, and fixed your dash. Cleaned your cup holder and removed some rodent nests from under your van too.

Just part of your platinum AS.com membership.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby standupnfall [OP] » June 28th 2015, 12:36am

You forgot to fix the passenger window motor. I'm putting that in now and will send the bill.
Original Poster [OP]
standupnfall
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: standupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full yearsstandupnfall has been a member for 5 full years

Postby standupnfall [OP] » June 29th 2015, 3:51pm

Grrrr. Speedo Lights are back out. Still have all idiots lights, just seems to be the dash backlighting, when it was on it seemed like all the bulbs were fine since it was full and bright.
Anyone have pics of this grounding firewall connector I keep hearing about that may be the issue here?

Still haven;t found the bad wire/ground for the passenger window but did confirm the motor is working. I am getting a little up noise when I hit up on the passenger switch. No down from either, no up from drivers side.
Original Poster [OP]
standupnfall
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Lumpy » June 29th 2015, 4:57pm

Here's the rear of the gauge cluster for my 89. Perhaps similar to your 94, perhaps not -

Speedo illumination is under the blue metal piece at the top. Problems, in mine, occurr at that ribbon connector on the side -OR- because the blue metal piece is pushing down on one or more of the bulbs causing a burned out bulb or general short.

The two "bathtubs" with all the PC board foil are the connectors for everything including grounds. You can gently clean and degrease those with contact cleaner and maybe something like a pencil eraser. Nothing stronger.

When removing or working with the gauge cluster, be careful of static electricity. Don't work on it when the weather is very dry, ground yourself before touching things etc. Just like if you were working on the inside of a computer. There's typically a sticker on the cluster warning you of the same.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby standupnfall [OP] » June 29th 2015, 7:08pm

Thanks, I'll see what happens when I take the gauges out. Was so happy when I thought I wasn't going to have to do that (ended up needing to take the doghouse off to do a cap and rotor at autozone that same day instead)
Original Poster [OP]
standupnfall
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)

Postby Lumpy » June 29th 2015, 7:45pm

Chock your wheels and disconnect your battery.

You'll have to move your steering wheel tilt up and down and shifter into lower gears with key in the ign. It's really not difficult. But there's a lot of stuff in a confined space.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):