Wiring Rear hatch on dutch doors

Wiring Rear hatch on dutch doors

Postby bramwell40 [OP] » July 29th 2010, 11:20pm

Hello,
I am a newb here, but I really have a question that has stumped me. I have a 1995 GMC Safari SLX AWD. It has dutch doors. The rear hatch and the driver side lower dutch door were badly rusted. I was able to purchased some used pieces from a salvage yard. It was quite an adventure getting the old pieces off and the new pieces on.
Here, however, is my dilemma. The wiring from the 1995 to the 2002 rear hatch has changed. I have been able to get things to the point where I can use the electric release on the hatch. I can also get the rear defroster to work. However, it appears that there has been a new piece added (looks like a large square capacitor) on the 2002. It has four wires from it rather than the older style that had only 3. I cannot figure out how to wire this. Does anyone have suggestions or wiring diagrams for the hatch?
Any help would be appreciated. I do not know if I have anything wired correctly on this, only that for now the rear hatch can be opened using the electric button.

Thanks for your time,

Dave
1995 GMC Safari, 6 cyl. 4.3 L type W engine with 191585 miles, AWD
Original Poster [OP]
bramwell40
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: bramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2000 Astro rear Dutch Door won't open
    by mglsite » November 16th 2020, 8:21pm in Electrical
    11 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 24th 2020, 2:05am
  • Dutch Door keylock location, because I'm curious.
    by augidog » July 11th 2020, 5:07pm in Electrical
    34 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 26th 2020, 1:06am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 11:12am

Re: Wiring Rear hatch on dutch doors

Postby kennyj » July 30th 2010, 6:50pm

Welcome to the forum Dave! It looks like you are the celebrated 5,000th member. :clap:

I don't have an answer for you, but I do recall my 98 with dutch doors has a hatch release relay mounted near the jack storage. Is that the part you're trying to figure out?
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 250k+ miles

Postby bramwell40 [OP] » July 30th 2010, 8:17pm

Thank you for the reply. Not exactly. Maybe I need to further explain. It seems that the 1995 has a wire harness coming from the body to the dutch hatch. It is covered by a cloth loom tube. Inside is a rubber hose for the washer pump and then several wires. I remember off hand that one is purple (seems to provide power when the rear defroster is operational) and a grey (which seems operational when the hatch release button is depressed). Then there is a black wire (seems to be a common ground), and then a couple more wires of which I cannot remember the color. On the hatch (fromt he 2002) there are 4 more wires than there are on the 1995 loom. These four wires (one is light blue and one is green blue, one is black and one is rather grey) go to a black rectangular box that is mounted on the hatch right next to the wiper motor. wires from this black box then go to the wiper motor so I am guessing that it is some kind of capacitor . I have gotten the hatch release to work when the button is depressed. I have gotten the defroster to work. I can only get the wiper motor to work when I tie it into either the hatch circuit or the defrost circuit. It will only work then when the buttons for those circuits are on. I just cannot figure out how to wire the wiper motor to get it running properly. I need to find out what each of the wires coming to the back on the 1995 are for, and what each of the wires on the 2002 are for, and if there is any way to work around this.

I hope that I am making sense. I can post some pictures later if I am not.

thanks.
Dave
Original Poster [OP]
bramwell40
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: bramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full yearsbramwell40 has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby kennyj » July 30th 2010, 11:25pm

Ok, now I understand... The difference is that the newer wiper system has a delay function that isn't on your 95. The module you are talking about is the wiper/washer control module.

Here is the wiring diagram for the older version:
1995.jpg
1995.jpg (122.09 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

And here is the newer version with the control module:
2002.jpg
2002.jpg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 3241 times

The newer control module has a black ground that would need to be connected.
It looks like the dark green wire has the same function for old and new, on the 95 it goes to the pump motor, on the newer it goes to the pump motor and the control module.
The older version has a white wire that controls the wiper motor, the newer control module has a gray wire to the module that controls wiper on. You could try connecting them.

The other option would be to move the wiper motor over from the old hatch to the new.
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full years

Postby bramwell40 [OP] » July 31st 2010, 2:30am

Thank you so much for your reply.
I have found your schematics to be helpful. However, they do bring up a few more questions.

first of all, I am posting a scan that I made of what wires I am dealing with. Maybe this will explain things a bit more. One reason for this is my confusion over the fact that I do not have a dark green wire coming from the 95, even though it looks like I should.

scan of wires217.jpg
hand made to show wires

The schematics show a lt blue wire going to a fuse for the ac for the 2002 the 1995 shows a brown/white wire going to a fuse for the radio. Of course, when i cut the wire loom to begin with, I wasn't thinking and had the radio on. It blew the fuse. Now, however, I must have things incorrect because if I put a fuse in the line, it blows.

These wire power the hatch release, the rear defroster, the washer pump and the wiper motor.

So, if anyone has any suggestions as to a way to wire this, i would be grateful. As for using the old motor, that would be difficult as I no longe have it.

Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
bramwell40
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby kennyj » July 31st 2010, 9:03pm

Those diagrams I posted are generic from the Haynes manual. It sounds like your 95 being the transition year has some differences in wiring/colors. Unless someone can chime in with a 95 factory manual, I think you're going to have to identify each of the wires from the 95 with a meter or tester and testing for functions.

I did find some more information on the newer hatch. The rear defogger is wired through a purple wire, that would probably be your heavy purple wire. And here is a diagram I found for the hatch release/lock wiring from a 97, so it should match the '02.

Hope this helps!
Attachments
rear glass 1997.jpg
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby bramwell40 [OP] » August 1st 2010, 9:32pm

I do so much appreciate all the help you have been giving me here. I have tried to do some preliminary metering to see what each wire does, but i guess I will really have to buckle down and investigate.

If, however, anyone has a 1995 service manual that might have the explanation for what each wire/color does, I would appreciate that as well. It would just really help to know what each wire for the 95 is for. I have been able to get the hatch release to work, and the defrost. However, at the moment, the only time the wiper and pump work is when I have both the wiper button and the hatch release button depressed at the same time. And something tells me that is not correct. (lol).

Thanks again for all the time you have put into this.

Thanks,
Dave
Original Poster [OP]
bramwell40
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby bramwell40 [OP] » August 5th 2010, 3:02am

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help. I have finally gotten it right. Had to do a little thinkin, and scratchin my head and studying over the schematics for a few. I found that if I left one of the wires that went to the delay out of the circuit, and then put together a couple that I hadn't thought of before, I now have a working wiper, working hatch release and a working defrost.

I wouldn't have been able to figure it out without your help.

So, Thanks again.

Dave
Original Poster [OP]
bramwell40
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby kennyj » August 6th 2010, 12:55am

Hi,
Good deal! You got it sorted out. :thumbup:
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)

Postby kennyj » August 6th 2010, 2:04am

BTW... you should post up in the New Members Lounge, and put up a pic of your van!
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)