Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

How do I mount hse batt. under van on pass. side? Non custom

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SoFar,EH 
#1 ·
So I've got my AGM battery, isolator, 80 amp fuses, 4 guage cable and I'm ready to hook this up to the alternator. So I was looking for a battery box and was thinking where am I going to put this thing?

We're moving 2000 miles in a couple of weeks so space is at a premium and you can't really stack stuff on a battery box. So what about getting it out of the van and under it? I searched and found other people that had the same thoughts, but no off the rack solution. I don't have the skills, tools, or space to go custom so I need something that I can just bolt up.

The 110Ah battery weighs about 70lbs so it's going to have to be pretty tough as I plan to drive off the beaten path and it'll get bounced around.

Any ideas?

#2 ·
How about under the driver's side instead of the passenger? All that exhaust tubing and heat on the passenger side. Relatively clear on the driver's side.

Might preload the L side of the van a bit with the extra 100+ lbs. Maybe you could make up for that with your loading method. Heavier cargo on the R side etc.

In my Gen I, you could actually get an underbody battery pretty close to midline, just shifted toward the driver side a small amount. Might not work as well with some vans as mine has a little more drive shaft clearance than stock.

Lump

#4 ·
That seems to be a common hitch in the plan. Nearly all the heavy stuff we want to mount has to go on the driver's side because of the slider door. Reroute the exhaust and/or get a really fat girlfriend would work, but may not be too practical.

Lump

#6 ·
This is a very good description of how to install a house battery and I plan to do something very similar.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/t-max-d ... ll.607791/
I'll store the house battery just behind the driver's seat at the base of a shelving unit I'm designing. I know that's loading the passenger side of the van, given the location of the gas tank, but it doesn't fit as well anywhere else unless I cut a hole in the floor and build a battery bracket. Also, closer to the alternator, less expensive copper to run.
Keep us posted on your progress.

#7 ·
In seeking to best plan a camperized project, I also have wondered about mounting 2nd batt under the floor boards. This subject seems to be old & fizzled out. Or was there more? Or more recent experiences to successfully deal w/this aspect? space IS @ a minimum to organize all the things we might wish to include, for sure! :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.