Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Opps, the Brick is broke

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  979roadrunner 
#1 ·
Went out of town today, after an item you can't buy localy, and while I'm in Katy (about 60 miles from home) the belt pops off the van. After reinstlling it, pops off again.
Crap, the alternator is out of alignment.. no, wait, I think the damned bracket is broken!
Fortunately, My brother in law has a 1 ton pickup and access to a trailer that'll do the job, and he got me home (Thank god)
I go out to take a closer look with a good flashlight...WTF? The braket AND the alternator case are broken.
I bought this van thinking it'd be a cool vehicle, but it's one problem after another. I think it's time to look at another vehicle.

#2 ·
That's what my Wife says about me...

I'm getting old, and stuff is breakin...

I convinced her that I was worth keepin.

Maybe the same between you and your van.

Watcha gonna get? A Ford Transit Connect?

w00t

Good Luck, Jim

#3 ·
When you buy as used vehicle you're going to run into problems. Those problems are usually ones that the previous owner did not want to deal with. But that's another story.

Once you work out the little bugs in these vans, they'll last a good while. I have a broken bolt hole on the bottom driver side of the engine. I can't remember what part of the accessory bracket it supposed to attach to. Anyway, the previous owner, instead of fixing it right, drill a hole through part of the frame and shoved a threaded rod through the hole and accessory bracket. Then tightened down the bolt until everything lined up proper.

The van was also having problems with the belt slipping off. I had to replace that threaded rod once due to being left on the side of a road. One day it'll be fixed right (when I get the 350 in the van)

#4 ·
There has been threads about that bracket before,but not many of them.It's a junk yard replacement part.Fix it and then you can forget it.True enough,every used vehicle I buy there is a adjustment period where I get it to where I want it.

#6 ·
No junkyard around here has a bracket for it. The dealer can get it (realy? on a twenty year old vehicle? that smacks of a recuring problem) The bracket is around $187 with tax, A lifetime alternator about the same (would be cheaper, but no core credit on an alternator with a cracked case) That's almost $400.
I have owned a LOT of used cars, most of them beaters. My wife calls me the master of the sub $1000 car purchase.
This van is the worst pile I've ever wound up with.
It doesn't even give a chance to fix one problem before another one comes up. POS.

#7 ·
Did you find a brace bolted to the back of the alternator? I have had to replace the 'horse collar' on many vans, but many times they can be welded. All bolts, braces, and hardware are critical.

#8 ·
I can relate....around here, used parts sellers are crooks. they want almost what a new part costs....can someone hook him up with a reasonably priced used part? ( I live right outside Houston, tx )

#10 ·
I bought this van thinking it'd be a cool vehicle, but it's one problem after another. I think it's time to look at another vehicle.
Working out the bugs of a used vehicle is like eating wheat thins... you do it one at a time.

So, what's not cool anymore about the van? Is it just the parts you're having to install?

Have you ever figured out what a new car costs per month to drive? Heck you can sure put in a lot of parts for the cost of a monthly payment; and that's not even considering the down payment you'll have to make. Oh, then there's the hit to your credit as you've gone further into debt, if you don't pay outright for the vehicle. Use your credit wisely.

I once figured the cost of maintaining three vehicles, all bought used, over a 10 year period was $130 a month. Included in that cost was three engines and three transmissions, plus all oil changes and general stuff to keep them running. In that 10 year period there was not one breakdown resulting in a tow, the vehicles were very reliable. Between the three of them there were over 750,000 miles on the odometers. When I was done with those vehicles they didn't owe me a penny. I got good service out of them. In reality, they saved me money. The same costs would be higher now, but the principle is the same and even more important in our horrible economy. Waste not... want not.

You may think it's time to look at another vehicle, but what are you going to get?

Likely it will be one that will be cool, need lots of parts, and you'll be right back where you are now... only further down the line, starting over with the new/used vehicle. I hope you can step back and reconsider "When is enough, enough?" There is a point, that if you continue to work out the bugs, the van will become reliable, give you a few hundred thousand miles of service and grow to be a member of the family.

At this point, if you sell the van, all you've done is dump parts into it and make it more reliable for the next guy. I doubt the PO of the next vehicle you buy used will be quite a kind to you.

#14 ·
LOOKS great, for a twenty year old van with original paint. Just not RELIABLE, which is more important.
Anyone on here wants a parts van, with a good body, and close enough to be feasible for them, make an offer.
Bring an alternator bracket and alternator, you can drive it home!
I'd post it for sale, but I have no idea what the scrap value is (yet) to set a price.
I've already located my next vehicle, a 2001 Chevy Lumina sedan. If I need a van in the future, (or a truck, for that matter) I'll rent one.
Lets see, the windows go only partway down, you have to play the gas pedal to get it moving (stays moving prety well, though) and the front captain's chairs have been removed, replaced with the second row captain's chairs, because a neice of mine peed in them, the a/c manifold hose is blown, the compressor clutch is slipping (or it was, untill the hose blew, no freon, compressor no worky) but I won't BS ya, it's a POS.

#15 ·
979roadrunner said:
Bring an alternator bracket and alternator

the windows go only partway down

you have to play the gas pedal to get it moving (stays moving prety well, though)

the a/c manifold hose is blown,

the compressor clutch is slipping
That`s all??? new window motors, vacuum leak / sensor, hose and a compressor clutch?

Fix it. and drive :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#16 ·
I agree. Get what you need, get it back on the road, and it will be your favorite van again.

LEVE said:
Have you ever figured out what a new car costs per month to drive? Heck you can sure put in a lot of parts for the cost of a monthly payment; and that's not even considering the down payment you'll have to make. Oh, then there's the hit to your credit as you've gone further into debt, if you don't pay outright for the vehicle. Use your credit wisely.
I invested almost $2000 in my other vehicle but it's in top running condition and I don't owe anyone. I also take into consideration that if I bought this vehicle with a car loan, and it had a 'normal' course of mechanical issues, I would have to pay for the parts/repairs and would STILL have to pay the note.

Oh and regarding the hit to your credit, so that everyone knows exactly what this means, I'll explain it in the OT area.

#17 ·
Miss the part about alt. bracket AND alt case broken? That's $400 in parts alone.
NOT a vacuum issue. don't know what's causing drivability issues, but I'd HEAR a leak big enough to cause this problem, which by the way is intermitent. Never heard of an intermitent vacc leak, that's usualy a sensor or electrical component.
I won't go into how much time I've spent under the doghouse with this, it's too long.
window motors? $150.
That's $550 for two out of three probs, with no idea what the drivability issue might cost (prob at least another $100-$200)
so now we're at $700.
APs don't sell comp clutc by itself, have to buy compressor $150-$300
That's $850-$1000
A/C manifold hose, $50-$100
Have to replace accumulator $ 40
We're now at $990-$1150. For parts. That doesn't address the choppy ride that aggravates my wife's old back injury (didn't realize that was a problem till we drove it on a 50 plus mile trip.)
One used high mileage Chevy Lumina, a/c works, smooth ride, no drivability issues, (a little down on power, but runs smooth)
and gets 30MPG =$800. Do the math. I did. Add to this that I worked for five years as a Taxi mechanic for a guy that owned Luminas almost exclusively, and know my way around them well, I don't see a downside.
Sorry, guys, they're neat little vans, when they work right, mine just doesn't work right.
Problems mentioned are just the high points, there's other things I just ignore because they're minor, but I just don't see holding onto this van and getting pissed every time something needs work.
One way or another, it's gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.