Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Mixed chemistry in the electrical system

762 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to change plugs, distributor (both parts) and coil in my van, as well as anything else related to the electrical system that should be changed "periodically". I have read a lot of posts on this forum about this plug being good, that coil being bad, etc. Is it possible that some parts work with some brands while some don't work well with others? i.e. some wires only work with stock plugs but some can work with platinum, and msd coils might work with some wires or plugs but not other? It was a little overwhelming reading all of the stuff. I am interested in squeezing as many mpgs out of a gallon as possible. I know that gas is cheap now...but by the time the election is over, I am guessing that gas will have climbed up to its unbearable highs again.

#2 ·
Computer related parts. Some work on a different pattern and it confuses the computer. 02 sensors and temp sensors are 2 of them.

Different makes toyota gm and so on, use different computer language. And sensors are made to work with that system. That is why engines act wonky if a different brand sensor is used.

I was reading up on all this when I was buying my new electronic parts for the merc. Toyota and BMW forums went into great detail and listed what works with what and why. Gave flow charts of what the different sensors put out. Once you read and see what is going on it makes sense.

Wires and plugs don't matter it is a unified system rating they all the same. Not saying a engine may prefer one over another. Biggest deal on a Gen 2 is use the GM cap. It is a quality issue with them. They are a junk design and any imperfection they do not work and crossfire.

But sensors your just better off using what it came with. Brand wise. I should write this stuff down like lumpy does when I find it. I would just look it all up again if I need the parts again. There are 2 brands that are GM compatible tho.

Good working 02 sensors, the ones before the cat and temp sensor for the computer are the keys to better gas mileage tho. After the cat they don't affect mileage. it just measures efficiency of the cat.
Run lucas injector cleaner every oil change to keep your injectors clean is another important thing for mileage.

#3 ·
Some things I have learn and I always add to the conversation when it comes up:

-Get the United Ignition Wire distributor from Rock Auto - is milled aluminum and a beautiful thing on its own.
-I usually use Rock Auto to cross check and get reference on parts and price and buy from Amazon.
-AFAIK coil and ignition module are not things that gradually cease to work, they either work or don't. Thats why I didn't replace mine while I was there, I did however, take out the bracket and drilled the rivets out and replaced them with studs and nuts so when the coil finally goes I have easy access to replace it.
-Get some Super-Lube grease ahead of time, you might have to order it, it can be used as dielectric in all your connections and rubber loves it.
-If your are going to be messing around the upper manifold area you might as well take out the injectors and fuel meter to clean it and replace the seals using Dorman #90000. I had through a couple liters of Lucas fuel additive, it will clean the injectors and nozzles internally but doing seal kit will practically give you a new spider.

#4 ·
I have the best success in my Gen IIs with:

Cap: AC Delco
Rotor: AC Delco
Wires: Either AC Delco or Autolite Professional
Plugs: AC Delco 41-993 (iridium)
Coil: AC Delco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.