Connector or wiring harness to ECU

Connector or wiring harness to ECU

Postby dadofanna [OP] » November 9th 2010, 2:10am

Does anyone have a source for a new connector for the ECU or the entire wiring harness to the ECU on a 92 with TBI. I know I could junkyard one and splice it in but I prefer a new one if possible. They are no longer available from GM or the usual parts stores. Or if you know who the OEM for the connector was I could get a pin extractor and insert new pins.
Original Poster [OP]
dadofanna
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: dadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Eric
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3l TBI 2wd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2002-2003 engine wiring harness difference
    by Rinny » December 1st 2020, 7:01pm in Electrical
    4 Replies
    Last post by Leeann_93 View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 4:59am
  • ICM & Ignition Coil Connector
    by OldSchoolNoe » January 30th 2021, 2:03am in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 30th 2021, 4:29am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 22nd 2021, 1:22am

Re: Connector or wiring harness to ECU

Postby astroturf » November 9th 2010, 1:25pm

That is a tough first question.

Are you having problems with yours?

Thanks,and Welcome Aboard.

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby RECox286 » November 9th 2010, 2:05pm

This is a toughie. What I would do is check out the racks of electrical stuff at the LAP store, Napa, Pep boys, Advance Auto, Auto Zone and the like. Seems I have found replacement pins at those locations.

Last chance would be a JY for sure. That way you could get the PCM as well as the connector.

Good luck with this one.

Bob

Jim: how about the online GM parts link?
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Big_kid » November 9th 2010, 2:43pm

What's the problem with what you have now? I have a feeling you'll end up with a junkyard connector on this one.

Sorry to be negative on your first post, but I've only heard of one problem with this connector. A neighbor had a melted pin on his (Camaro) and it would not idle down. He went the junkyard route, IIRC. If someone knows where to find one, they'll post.

Welcome aboard!
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Phantom » November 9th 2010, 3:05pm

Since GM no longer offers this part it will either be a custom harness maker which will charge a lot if you can find one , It also depends on which engine it is a "W" or a " Z"TB , the harness or connector can be from a Astro/Safari , S-10, S-15 , Bravada , Chevy/GMC pickup maybe camaro/firebird with the 4.3L motor , If you look at a few junkyard vehicles you will likely find one that is in decent condition , I often cut of a pigtail for hard to find wiring items where I browse the salvage yards . You will find a decent one and then use Electrical Contact cleaner to clean the pins up , a spray cleaner also known as TV Tuner cleaner
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby dadofanna [OP] » November 10th 2010, 3:40am

The problem is rough idle and missing surging, loss of power on accelaration and up hills with what feels like backfires but is a caused by inaccurate ignition timing advance also ocassional stalling at idle. I have gotten intermittent codes 42 and 43. Replaced the distributer ignition module, new quality cap and rotor (brass posts), new plugs and wires, knock sensor, rebuit the fuel pressure regulator. I have traced every connection back to the ecu. Have thoroughly tested the throttle position sensor ,map sensor, temp sensors, and used an dual trace oscilloscope to measure the frequency and voltage and analyze the waveforms during acceleration between the ecu and ignition module and also from the pickup coil on the distributer. I have used a timing light to check base timing. Checked fuel pressure with a gauge, watched the spray pattern on both injectors (its the Z engine w/ tbi). Everything was in spec. but still after all that and no joy I was driving it with the ecu sitting in the passenger side floor and it ran much better, then at a stoplight my passenger was moving the ecu slightly and the van stalled, he put the ecu done and I was able to restart. So back at home we sat with it idling and with needle nose pliers selectively jiggled each wire. When we moved the purple one it stalled. Also noticed a black wire with a white trace next to it was lose. According to the wiring diagram in the chilton manual the purple is ground for the map sensor and the black/white trace is a ground for ecu. Intermittent grounding and intermittent loss of map sensor data explains everything. The map sensor is probably not cutting out long enough to trip a code or to make the ecu ignore it and use tps data only but is enough to cause inaccurate data.
Original Poster [OP]
dadofanna
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: dadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full yearsdadofanna has been a member for 10 full years

Postby RECox286 » November 10th 2010, 3:47am

Wow, you've really done your homework. I think I would get thee to the JY.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby webcat » November 11th 2010, 12:00am

What ECU do you have?
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby dadofanna [OP] » November 17th 2010, 1:48am

Got the harness off a '90 astro at the junk yard. There were a few wire color mismatchs but just matched to the correct pins ignoring the colors and it worked. This fixed the stalling but nothing else. I then changed the plug wires and rerouted them a little better (further from hot things and less crossing over each other. I thought I had changed them a few months ago but I must have been remebering a different vehicle because the old wires were pretty stiff. Now no more misfires or knocks and much better power. Only problem left is rough idle so next I need to look at the idle air control valve. When I'm done I should have a new van built piece by piece. :mrgreen:
Original Poster [OP]
dadofanna
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby astroturf » November 17th 2010, 1:50am

Kewl

Glad you are getting it together.

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Big_kid » November 17th 2010, 4:13am

Glad it's coming together for you!
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » November 18th 2010, 2:41am

Piece by piece ? Sounds like a car I had once. It was a 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 77-1/2, 80. It looked odd, but drove great.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby Big_kid » November 18th 2010, 4:31am

That's several of the cars I've owned. They're usually the best ones!
:chevy:
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby dadofanna [OP] » November 21st 2010, 4:16am

Replaced the idle air control valve today, along with the pcv, put in new air filter and changed oil. Also installed a tach. Idle is alot smoother now although not perfect. Maybe I'm expecting to much from 18 year old van. It idles at 750 when not in gear but drops and stays at 500 when in gear with brake applied. My previous experience with vehicles with Bosch fuel injection is the idle is between 700-900 then drops briefly when load is applied, such as put in gear or turn on AC, but then quickly recovers to previous value when the computer compensates. Is this not how GM TBI systems work. I don't have the stickers on my van that tell idle and timing values and when I tried to order from GM parts online the said they were no longer available. Any ideas?
Original Poster [OP]
dadofanna
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » November 21st 2010, 3:39pm

'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby dadofanna [OP] » November 21st 2010, 4:58pm

That's who I placed the order with, then they emailed me and told me they canceled the order and its no longer available. I don't know why they don't take it off their site.
Original Poster [OP]
dadofanna
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » November 21st 2010, 6:21pm

Well, heck. Sorry :(
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD