Unlock all doors with one button press on remote

Unlock all doors with one button press on remote

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 14th 2010, 8:03pm

I know that it is a 'safety' feature for some, but for me it is just an annoyance when you have to press the button twice to unlock all of the doors. I am virtually never alone and always unlock all of the doors. If I want to just open the drivers door, I will use the key. Having to press the unlock button twice on the remote is a PITA, kills the remote battery/range quicker, wears out the button faster, and annoys me to no end :) Granted not all of those reasons are major, but still valid points.

Is there any way to do this, either by the remote, some programming routine, or as a last resort I will change wiring/add a relay?

It took me about 2min of research and 10 seconds to change this on my SO's Dodge using just the remote, now I would like to do this on my 99 Astro.

Best Regards,
Will

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Rear wiper switch button
    by Olivier02 » October 11th 2020, 8:34pm in Electrical
    5 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 6:45pm
  • Liftgate Button Details?
    by oneilldm » January 26th 2021, 5:30am in Electrical
    9 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    January 28th 2021, 7:25am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 8:51am

Re: Unlock all doors with one button press on remote

Postby Phantom » November 14th 2010, 9:25pm

I just read through all the reprogramming procedures and there is no way to program the remote to do what you want , The only way that is economically feasible is to access door lock wiring , and alter it slightly , without examining the wiring diagram at the moment , I'll say that if you run a new wire to cause the passenger side door to tap into the drivers side wiring it will lock and unlock at the same time , It may be possible just to run a jumper wire on the door lock module from passenger lock wiring to the drivers lock wiring , or it may be necessary to run a wire under carpet or overhead to other door , I would have to examine the wiring diagram to say for sure , if you want to see the wiring diagram I have posted it Here:

download/file.php?id=8960

download/file.php?id=8961

download/file.php?id=8962

I plan on converting these to pdf , just haven't had time to do it yet.
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 14th 2010, 10:52pm

Thanks Phantom, pulled that kick panel off to take a look. It seems that there is a separate circuit located elsewhere that is not in the wiring diagram or in that kick panel that activates on the first button press to unlock the drivers side door. When you use the drivers or passengers side door switch, it activates the lock module to lock/unlock the doors. The lock module also activates when you use the remote to lock and on the second press of the unlock button. However, the lock module does not activate on the first press of the remote unlock button, only on the second press.

I imagine that the controller that receives the lock/unlock signal from the remote has three separated outputs, one that activates the drivers door only for unlock, one that activates the unlock side of the lock module, and one that activates the lock side of the module. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for that section?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby webcat » November 14th 2010, 10:57pm

What happens when you press the unlock button on the drivers side door switch , does all the doors unlock the first press of the button when using the door unlock switch?
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 14th 2010, 11:20pm

webcat wrote:What happens when you press the unlock button on the drivers side door switch , does all the doors unlock the first press of the button when using the door unlock switch?

The door switches activate the lock module on both lock/unlock, regardless of first/second/third activation. So that jives with the wiring diagram above, but doesn't show how the 'keyless entry' is tied into it all.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Phantom » November 14th 2010, 11:50pm

AstroWill wrote:Thanks Phantom, pulled that kick panel off to take a look. It seems that there is a separate circuit located elsewhere that is not in the wiring diagram or in that kick panel that activates on the first button press to unlock the drivers side door. When you use the drivers or passengers side door switch, it activates the lock module to lock/unlock the doors. The lock module also activates when you use the remote to lock and on the second press of the unlock button. However, the lock module does not activate on the first press of the remote unlock button, only on the second press.

I imagine that the controller that receives the lock/unlock signal from the remote has three separated outputs, one that activates the drivers door only for unlock, one that activates the unlock side of the lock module, and one that activates the lock side of the module. Does anyone have the wiring diagram for that section?

The wiring for the Remote Keyless Entry is behind the radio , the receiver module is there too , I have the wiring diagram for that too which I plan to post but was waiting til I converted it into a PDF file , but if you need it i can post it , maybe tonight if I get a chance , there are 12 wires that go to it , it may be easier to tap into it there if you can work in that hole behind the radio.
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 14th 2010, 11:58pm

Phantom wrote:The wiring for the Remote Keyless Entry is behind the radio , the receiver module is there too , I have the wiring diagram for that too which I plan to post but was waiting til I converted it into a PDF file , but if you need it i can post it , maybe tonight if I get a chance , there are 12 wires that go to it , it may be easier to tap into it there if you can work in that hole behind the radio.

That would be great Phantom, I see that it is a print feature on the screenshot, they have free programs like PDFcreator and CutePDF that install PDF 'printers' so you can print directly to a PDF file.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby webcat » November 15th 2010, 1:11am

AstroWill wrote:
webcat wrote:What happens when you press the unlock button on the drivers side door switch , does all the doors unlock the first press of the button when using the door unlock switch?

The door switches activate the lock module on both lock/unlock, regardless of first/second/third activation. So that jives with the wiring diagram above, but doesn't show how the 'keyless entry' is tied into it all.

I was thinking that the keyless entry would operate what ever you had your door locks programmed to do , if you look in the owners manual it shows you how to program your door locks , what i'm saying is just think of your button on the remote as being the same as the button in the drivers side door , i know you cant program the remote but you cant program the drivers side door switch either .
I know all my GMs remote would unlock all the doors and turn on the dome light by default , i'm thinking someone reprogrammed your door locks to have to push it twice to open all doors
If you dont get it figured out you could buy a aftermarket keyless remote entry :shrug:
webcat
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 15th 2010, 1:54am

webcat wrote:I was thinking that the keyless entry would operate what ever you had your door locks programmed to do , if you look in the owners manual it shows you how to program your door locks , what i'm saying is just think of your button on the remote as being the same as the button in the drivers side door , i know you cant program the remote but you cant program the drivers side door switch either .
I know all my GMs remote would unlock all the doors and turn on the dome light by default , i'm thinking someone reprogrammed your door locks to have to push it twice to open all doors
If you dont get it figured out you could buy a aftermarket keyless remote entry :shrug:

The owners manual for the 1999 does not have that, though I see in the 2002 user manual where you can program the optional 'Programmable Automatic Door Locks'.

In the user manual it states that for the keyless entry it works as follows, which is how mine does work, just wish it had the option to change it:
Operation
When you press UNLOCK, the driver’s door will
unlock automatically. If you press UNLOCK again
within five seconds, all doors will unlock. All doors will
lock when LOCK is pressed. The interior lamps will
come on whenever you lock or unlock the doors.
Pressing the REAR 2X button twice within three
seconds will unlock the rear cargo doors.

With an after-market keyless entry system, usually they get tied into the drivers side door lock wire after it comes out of the door(drivers side kick panel) and that would activate the locks just like the drivers side door switch does. This is the exact function that I want but using the factory keyless entry.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Phantom » November 15th 2010, 11:37pm

Wiring Diagram for Remote Keyless Entry
Attachments
Remote Keyless Entry.pdf
(219.51 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 16th 2010, 4:13am

Thank you very much Phantom! That one looks like the right one, colors even match. Looking at the wiring diagram, the drivers side door lock is only controlled by the 'remote control door lock receiver'. Now, somehow I need for pin A(tan) to supply 12v to pin B(white) without it causing a loop condition.

Though I wonder what pin L(black/white) is for on the 'remote control door lock receiver', it is labeled as 'program sig', but I wonder if it is only for programing the remotes, or if it can be used to change the behavior of the receiver.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Phantom » November 16th 2010, 4:36am

I will look at the diagrams for the entire vehicle , some like "Power Distribution" are so big it has 4 pages of diagrams to show the complete circuit, When I get a chance this week I'll trace that wire down to see where it starts and ends , it probably ties into data line somewhere
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 16th 2010, 4:53am

It says on that diagram that it goes to the 'Data Link Connector' which is the OBD2 connector I believe.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Phantom » November 16th 2010, 5:03am

There is actually 3 different data lines , ,serial data, class 2 data , and 9600 uart data, and they are tied to various things , I'll post a pdf on it tomorrow, yea the Data Link connector is probably OBD connector
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » November 16th 2010, 11:12pm

The Blk/Wht wire goes to pin 8 on the OBD2 diag connector , it is there to permit a Tech 2 Tool or other scanner capable of programming the RKE . You can program the remote yourself without a scan tool . As far as I can find the RKE Module is only capable of what you already know it can do, and cannot be programmed in any manner other than the factory setting , maybe if you have an electronics schooling and can get a schematic of the inside of the receiver you may be able to change the circuit but that seems like a lot of effort for a device that has such limited ability and does not remote start or receive signal greater than 33 feet distance Here is some info on this RKE:

Remote Control Door Lock Switches
Lock
Voltage is available when any of the following switches are in the LOCK position:
* The liftgate/unlock release
* The left front power door lock
* The right front power door lock

Voltage is available from the following components to cavity F of the door lock relay:

* The CIG LTR fuse
* CKT 640 (ORN)
* The door lock switch

The voltage energizes the lock relay coil. The lock relay coil allows the voltage to flow through the relay to the door lock motors. The voltage flow locks all of the doors. Ground for the left front door lock motor is through pin A of the remote control door lock receiver. The right front door lock motor and the side door lock motor receive the ground through pin H of the remote control door lock receiver. The rear door lock motor receives the ground through pin G of the remote control door lock receiver. The remote control door lock receiver grounds through the G200 body ground.
Unlock

Voltage is available when the following switches are in the UNLOCK position:

* The liftgate lock/unlock release
* The left front power door lock
* The right front door lock

Voltage is available through the following components to the right front door lock motor and the side door lock motor:

* The PWR ACCY circuit breaker
* The door lock relay

The remote control door lock receiver supplies the voltage to the left front door lock motor and the rear door lock motor on CKT 294. The voltage unlocks the doors. The door lock relay supplies the ground for all motors to G200.
Liftgate Unlock/Release
Unlock

The remote control door lock receiver supplies the voltage at cavity G to the rear door lock motor when the following conditions occur:

* You press the rear window release button on the transmitter.
* The remote control door lock receiver receives a valid vehicle access code.

The normally closed contacts of the LOCK switch supply the ground for the rear door lock motor. The closed contacts of the LOCK switch are inside of the door lock relay. The ground completes the circuit and unlocks the rear door lock motor. An important fact about this feature, and due to safety reasons, only unlocks the liftgate motor and does not pop the liftgate open.
Release

Pressing the liftgate release switch and pulling the liftgate handle opens the liftgate when the rear door lock motor is in the UNLOCK position. An important note is that once the liftgate motor has been unlocked, only then the liftgate release switch will function.

The remote keyless entry (RKE) system consists of a three button remote control transmitter and a receiver located within the instrument panel cluster. When you push any of the buttons on the transmitter, the transmitter sends a coded, ultra-high frequency signal to the receiver. This signal locks or unlocks the vehicle doors and releases the liftgate window. The transmitter must be within ten meters (33 ft) of the vehicle.

The transmitters are supplied in pairs with each vehicle. Each transmitter is attached to a key ring and acts as a key fob. Replacement transmitters are available, however each receiver will only recognize two transmitters. Therefore, if a transmitter is replaced, the new transmitter must be synchronized to the receiver. A 3 volt battery powers each transmitter. The transmitters are water resistant.
The RKE has no effect on the normal operation of the power door locks or the liftgate window release.
Press the UNLOCK button on the transmitter once in order to unlock the driver's door. Press the button a second time within 5 seconds in order to unlock the remaining doors.
Locking the Doors

Press the LOCK button on the transmitter in order to lock all of the vehicle doors at once.
Liftgate Window Release (E54)

Press the REAR 2X button on the transmitter twice within 5 seconds in order to unlock the liftgate window.
Transmitter Functions

Using both transmitters, if available, perform the following procedure in order to diagnose all of the transmitter functions:

1. Resynchronize the transmitters to the receiver. Refer to Transmitter Synchronization .
2. Move the vehicle as far away from metal objects as possible.
3. The RKE system may not operate if there are metal objects between the transmitter and the vehicle. Lower the windows.
4. Turn OFF the ignition.
5. Close the doors.
6. While standing at the rear bumper, aim the top of the transmitter at the vehicle.
Operate all of the functions on both transmitters, if available. Observe the results and make the necessary repairs, as follows:
* If a single function on 1 transmitter is inoperative, replace that transmitter.
* If all of the functions on 1 or both transmitters are inoperative, reprogram both transmitters and repeat Step 7. Refer to Transmitter Programming .
* If you cannot reprogram 1 transmitter, replace the battery in that transmitter. Refer to Transmitter Battery Replacement .
* If all of the functions on both transmitters operate, stand 1.5 meters (5 ft) from the vehicle and check the operation of both transmitters at several points around the vehicle. If 1 transmitter does not operate from a point where the other transmitter functions correctly, replace the battery in the transmitter that does not operate. Refer to Transmitter Battery Replacement .
* If both transmitters operate 1.5 meters from the vehicle, the system is operating properly. Do not attempt any repairs to the system. For additional diagnostic information on the RKE module, refer to the RKE system check.

Transmitter Programming

1. Ground pin 4 to pin 8 of the data link connector (DLC). The receiver will respond as follows:
* The doors will lock and unlock within 2 seconds.
* The liftgate window release (E54) will be activated within 2 seconds.
2. Simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on one of the transmitters until the locks cycle. This will take approximately 10 seconds. The receiver will respond as follows:
* The doors will lock and unlock within 2 seconds.
* The liftgate window release (E54) will be activated within 2 seconds.
* Do not wait more then 60 seconds between transmitters or the receiver will exit the programming mode.
3. Repeat step 2 for each transmitter, up to four transmitters can be programed to this vehicle.
4. Remove the jumper wire from the DLC.
5. Verify that the RKE is functioning correctly:
* Lock and unlock the doors.
* Activate the liftgate window (E54).
Transmitter Synchronization
The security method used by the remote keyless entry (RKE) system may occasionally make it necessary for you to resynchronize the system. The RKE transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the receiver, because the receiver does not respond to a signal more than once. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the transmitter signal.

Resynchronization will be necessary if any of the following condition apply:

* When the transmitter battery is very weak.
* When you replace the battery.
* When the vehicle battery is very weak.
* When you replace the vehicle battery.
* When you disconnect the vehicle battery.

Resynchronize the transmitter with the receiver as follows:

* While standing close to the vehicle, simultaneously press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter for 7 seconds.
* The door locks should cycle in order to confirm synchronization.
Attachments
Astro Computer Data Lines.pdf
(220.79 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 17th 2010, 1:41am

Thanks again Phantom! Thanks a lot for the great info, I feel we should have a wiki for stuff like this :) I agree that the factory key-less entry is very limited and I would eventually like to add a 2-way alarm w/ remote start. Might be smarter to just wait until I can afford to do that I had it on my last vehicle and loved it.

However, I feel that I have found the solution. If I insert a timed relay activated by pin A(tan) that controls pin B(white) it should work perfectly, and only need access to the 'remote control door lock receiver'. Hopefully I can use something like the 'directed electronics 528T' pulse timer relay, anyone have one laying around? Should be found on quite a few vehicles with after-market alarm systems.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Phantom » November 17th 2010, 2:41am

I have planned on installing the RKE on my van but when I read it receives signal at only up to 33 ft it has made me wonder if it is worth the time to install it, I have a remote start on my Buick and it receives signal up to like 1800 ft and it is programmable to set how long it idles before it shuts off . So I am thinking with the holiday season here maybe now would be a good time to look into getting a full remote start setup and install it . Good idea on the time delay relay here is a couple places I buy computer parts from and they have just what you are looking for . keep us posted on it works for you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... er%20relay

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... YI1-T39863
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 17th 2010, 3:07am

I had a DEI remote start unit on my last one, and it had an antenna mounted on the drivers side rear window(inside of glass, extended cab pickup). The first time I used it back ~2001 I was walking out of walmart and it was parked about halfway down the parking lot, when it started I heard a lady scream very loudly. She said that she had just looked inside before putting her groceries away and had seen nobody inside. Remote starts weren't as common back then :)

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby Lumpy » November 17th 2010, 3:30am

AstroWill wrote:Thanks again Phantom! Thanks a lot for the great info, I feel we should have a wiki for stuff like this :)...

A discussion board/thread on a topic.
Is that not the same as a wiki?
Much more helpful, IMO. As there is open interaction.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill [OP] » November 17th 2010, 5:25am

Lumpy wrote:A discussion board/thread on a topic.
Is that not the same as a wiki?
Much more helpful, IMO. As there is open interaction.
Lump

I really like both, and think that they complement each other. I like the interaction of the boards and wouldn't ever want to lose that. At the same time a wiki page can be cleaned up and show only the latest relevant information.

Original Poster [OP]
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Next