Photobucket no longer allows linking to websites

Photobucket no longer allows linking to websites

Postby Don1806 [OP] » June 30th 2017, 8:06pm

For anyone with their pictures in Photobucket, be advised they now want $399 per year to allow you to use 3rd party hosting of your photos that are stored in Photobucket. If your photos aren't showing an error message on other sites, they will shortly.

As an example, if you have a post on this site with posted photos that are stored in Photobucket, those photos are now or will be blocked shortly unless you pay the $399 per year. There are other options that start at about $100 per year that will let you link to the photo with a text link only, but not allow the photo to show up within a post as they have in the past.

Definitely not worth it for their buggy, ad-laden website. I have deleted my Photobucket account and all of the pics in it, so any pictures that I have posted here will no longer function. All that they would have shown is a graphic stating that I had to pay extortion money to Photobucket to see my photos.

This is going to be a huge issue for numerous websites, especially help forums like this, as there are probably millions of photos around the web that are hosted through Photobucket and are now being held hostage by them.

Just a head's up for anyone who hasn't heard about this and might be affected.

If mods think this needs to be moved to a different category, feel free to do so.
99 Astro LT - Orginal Owner.
New Engine at 140,000 miles due to intake gasket failure. Hoping to at least double that.
Original Poster [OP]
Don1806
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Don1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Don
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 170K

Re: Photobucket no longer allows linking to websites

Postby TurnNburn » June 30th 2017, 8:13pm

woof, that's going to suck, for me personally cause all of my pictures that are hosted there. But also for old threads with members who no longer post and or update the pictures.

But your right, its slow on its best day and so many ads it renders it basically useless. I don't want to have to move everything, but wont mind finding somewhere better.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby sixsix » June 30th 2017, 8:25pm

If Photobucket belonged to you - you would be charging for displaying stored photos too...

but...
I myself - never trusted them - seemed more hassle than it was worth - knew it would come to this.
The almighty capitalist dollar rears it's rich - albeit ugly - head.

Mike

ps: store your photos here - Free. And if "They" go down again...
... oh well - wasn't going to send old Van photos elsewhere anyway.

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Don1806 [OP] » June 30th 2017, 8:29pm

TurnNburn wrote:woof, that's going to suck, for me personally cause all of my pictures that are hosted there. But also for old threads with members who no longer post and or update the pictures.

But your right, its slow on its best day and so many ads it renders it basically useless. I don't want to have to move everything, but wont mind finding somewhere better.

I am currently playing with this image hosting site that was suggested by a friend who is an IT guy. http://cloudinary.com/

It's much more "techy" than Photobucket, but seems to have a ton of options to make its use easy for those who need more advanced features.

It's free up to certain levels and it looks like the free service is more than adequate for a casual user. Anyone making their living via the web by blogging and running sites using images will most likely need their paid service, which overall looks reasonable if you need commercial service.
New Engine at 140,000 miles due to intake gasket failure. Hoping to at least double that.
Original Poster [OP]
Don1806
Years of Membership: Don1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full yearsDon1806 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » June 30th 2017, 9:25pm

Post image works well and is free no ads so far.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AstroWill » June 30th 2017, 9:43pm

Photosuckit is more like it ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby TurnNburn » June 30th 2017, 9:50pm

Made the jump to postimage.com. Thanks for the tip. I don't really need any kind of editing software or fancy stuff, I only need it to hold images. Just for fun, I uploaded 146 images (almost all of the astro build) to see how it would handle the in flow. Took about 4 minutes! Which is great. If I had attempted that on PB the server would have crashed, I would have some ransomware installed on my computer, some Nigerian prince would incessantly email me about some money order and would eventually develop some sort of PTSD... and I STILL wouldn't have pictures on the web.

Unfortunately since we cant go back in time to edit old posts, there are going to be a whole bunch of threads with little X's in them. But for the future I should be set
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby jess » June 30th 2017, 11:11pm

TurnNburn wrote:Unfortunately since we cant go back in time to edit old posts, there are going to be a whole bunch of threads with little X's in them. But for the future I should be set

oh man i hadn't thought about that (the inability to edit) that's a bummer
jess
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: jess has been a member for 4 full yearsjess has been a member for 4 full yearsjess has been a member for 4 full yearsjess has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: AWD EXT

Postby AstroWill » June 30th 2017, 11:58pm

If you have a post that needs to be edited, feel free to PM a mod and we will take care of it for you.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Don1806 [OP] » July 1st 2017, 12:44am

After looking around the Post Image site, it looks like they are going to eventually be moving to a paid format if you don't want to see ads. Otherwise, there will still be a free service but ads will be present when they do initiate the change. https://blog.postimage.org/2017/05/06/u ... /#more-379
Original Poster [OP]
Don1806

Postby Big_kid » July 1st 2017, 2:53am

AstroWill wrote:If you have a post that needs to be edited, feel free to PM a mod and we will take care of it for you.

What Will said. PM us (Ted and Black89CS haven't been around much FYI) or even click on "report post" so the next available mod sees it. There's no penalty for having a post reported. Mostly it's Will, ChevyMaher, Leeann, and me.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby AstroOafAdventurer » August 9th 2020, 3:36am

For Chrome users there's a plugin called Photobucket Hotlink Fix that allows PB pics to be seen again.
It should also be available in the new Edge and probably for other broswers as well.
PhotoBucket really effed the resourcefulness of the internet with that...
97 Astro Conversion Van 62k 64k miles
AstroOafAdventurer
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Thorsteenster
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: RWD Conversion Van

Return to Computer Corner

It is currently March 1st 2021, 10:30am

Computer Corner Forum
Computer CornerForums for discussion of computers and related technologies. Hardware and software, PC and Macs, programming, windows or unix operating systems.
To create a new topic in Computer Corner, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: Munken
Munken
in Computer Corner
Views: 5814
Comments: 47
Date: Sep 05 '17
Time: 11:55am
» Read last comment