Change fuel pump as preventative maintenance?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Change fuel pump as preventative maintenance?

Postby Joshtjeerdsma [OP] » January 11th 2021, 12:35am

I am new to the forum, hopefully I posted this in the right place. I just purchased a 96 astro van awd with 140k miles. It seems to have been well taken care of judging by the quality of fluids, etc. But I have no idea about whats been performed for previous maintenance. I have replaced the tires, shocks, idler arms, and some misc other things with quality parts. I have also done a pretty thorough inspection. I plan to take it on a long ski trip soon and the only thing that makes me nervous is the fuel pump. It runs great now, but Id hate to get stranded in the mountains. Is the fuel pump worth changing as preventative maintenance if I don't know if its been done before? Or are you generally able to limp home when they go? Thanks, Josh
Original Poster [OP]
Joshtjeerdsma
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Change fuel pump as preventative maintenance?

Postby tungtide » January 11th 2021, 2:04am

Does your van have a fuel door cut into the floor, either by you or a previous owner? If not are you aware that you have to drop the fuel tank to change the pump. It can be quite a job. That being said I probably would not do it as a preventative measure. Others will chime in soon. I would say you will not limp home if it goes out.
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby Joshtjeerdsma [OP] » January 11th 2021, 2:21am

I am aware that the tank needs to be dropped unless you want to cut an access hole in the floor. As far as I can tell the carpet has not been disturbed to make an access panel.
Original Poster [OP]
Joshtjeerdsma
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » January 11th 2021, 6:18am

It's really a crap shoot when they are going to go, could die at 60k, could go 300k, never know. If I was heading to South America with my van, I would probably consider changing it just for good measure or at least carry a spare. Otherwise I wouldn't change it unless there were some signs of it failing.

Replacing with a new pump does not mean that it's a better quality pump. I would however change the filter, it's cheap and easy to do(usually).

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Leeann_93 » January 12th 2021, 2:09am

I'm with Will; I wouldn't replace it unless it was giving me signs that it was failing (flashing SES light under heavy load not attributable to ignition components, etc). But I definitely would replace the filter.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Joshtjeerdsma [OP] » January 13th 2021, 1:33am

Sounds good. I will leave it be. The fuel filter looks like it is pretty new, but Ill change it for good measure . Thanks for all the recommendations.
Original Poster [OP]
Joshtjeerdsma
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby WinnieVan » January 13th 2021, 9:14am

I'm with others -- if it is working there isn't really a need to replace it -- but they can fail without warning.

If your ski trip is going to put you in a place where you have no access to mechanics/tools/parts warehouses/etc & you have the cash -- there is no harm in buying an ACDELCO Fuel Pump and putting it in your van just in case. That way if it does fail - you can get towed to the nearest shop and have them swap it -- and you won't get raked over the coals for a subpar part.

Also -- the fuel is used to cool the pump -- so don't run the tank too low -- the pump doesn't like it.

Also -- if the fuel pump does start cutting out -- usually a few swift kicks to the bottom of the fuel tank can bring it back to life for a small amount of time -- but there are plenty of stories of it simply going belly-up without warning.
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004