Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Advice Needed: Am I Crazy?

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  markmitch 
#1 ·
Totally newbie/dreamer here.

I've been thinking about getting an AWD Astro/Safari, having it lifted, maybe getting a transfer case added so I'd have a true 4WD low gear and, in dream world, getting a slightly higher roof with some built in storage. This would be for solo road trips (wife's not interested), from long weekends to potentially weeks long when I can find the time.

And now...I've found one for sale fairly near me. It's a 1995 with an S10 transfer case already in place. It's got a 6" lift and is sitting on BFG Mud Terrain tires that look (in photos; haven't seen it in person...yet) to be in great shape. There's a platform in the back, and four plush captains chairs. And...it's got dutch doors (which I dig) and the bumped out top with storage compartments. Ideal, right? But...

This thing already has almost 258,000 miles on it and the asking price is a bit over $6000.

Help! Talk me into it or out of it!

I'll attach a couple of photos so you can laugh or drool as appropriate. If it helps, I'm in Arizona where things like this tend to go for more than in some other regions of the country.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess it depends on how much having the lift pre-installed means to you. I don't know what a 250k mile awd in AZ costs, but around here it would be like $1k or less. Pay someone to get the lift and roof rack installed and buy the tires new and you're still not near $6000.

But having a turn-key rig would be sweet.

These engines go a long time, but 250k+ on the original motor and you've got to start budgeting for a replacement. If you factor that into your budget and it works for you, then do it dude.

#4 ·
I would very very skeptical about ever putting much of anything on that roof rack. The fiberglass roof underneath is rated at maybe 45 Lbs on those. I had a similar van with the same type roof a few years ago and I called one of the companies that used to build the vans and the guy told me never put a rack on a fiberglass roof. Otherwise it looks pretty nice. Mark

#5 ·
Just remember yes it is in great shape. But at the mileage everything gonna need replaced Bam Bam Bam one right after another. So your not getting out of building one by paying top dollar.

Find one cheap with trans or motor out(broken) already. Since your willing to pay obviously. Stick a new motor and trans in one. Your set for 30 years with only small maintenance items like a new car. And you can get a nice van cheap with motor or trans not working.

My advice do it yourself then you know what you got and you can trust it.

#6 ·
I like it but wouldn't necessarily buy it.
I like that it's a 95, I like the high top and lifted AWD.
But as above, I wouldn't load much of anything in that FG roof basket, in fact I'd look at removing it.
Aside from the engine and trans, you have 25 years of $.05 & $.10 accumulation.
Door seals, locks, handles, switches, leaking conversion van windows.
Mine was a conversion van that I bought not long ago and had a musty smell inside I chalked off to a 23 YO vehicle that's sat for last several years.
As I was gutting it I found one of the conversion van windows leaking, luckily no mold or rust.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice. I figured this'd be the right place to get some honest opinions! Not sure yet which direction I'll go, so am happy to hear more thoughts. I was hoping to get down to see it today (a day off for me), but timing didn't work out...or maybe he's selling it to someone else. That'd solve my dilemma.

#9 ·
Cool looking ride.

If it's what you want and it's in great shape... But that is a lot of miles and I think it's a bit overpriced. DIY lift costs you ~$500 if you do it all yourself, probably a little more if you order a 'kit'. Figure in another $200 or so for a transfer case swap. I'm sure you could find a nice low mileage conversion van for cheaper, do the lift and have money left over.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

#10 ·
Yep. I think that's a bit much for that van.

You could get a '95 van for far under $1k, then put $3k into it to make it yours and still be ahead of that 'deal' - it's just too much.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.