Anyone have experience with Roverclassics?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Anyone have experience with Roverclassics?

Postby driver3 [OP] » February 22nd 2021, 11:05pm

Looking at a van on this site -- roverclassic.com

They seem to have cool lifted astros, in this case with low miles. 14k for 2003 with 40k miles. Still high priced. Online reviews are all over the place. I'd have to negotiate and buy sight unseen.

edit-fixed url.
Last edited by driver3 on February 23rd 2021, 1:50am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
driver3
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Andrew

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Anyone have experience with Roverclassics?

Postby Leeann_93 » February 22nd 2021, 11:28pm

Yeah, I'd buy something on eBay sight unseen, depending on price and feedback, but not something like that.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby driver3 [OP] » February 23rd 2021, 1:57am

I mean, I'll buy off ebay or their site. I thought maybe someone had experience with them or even who built the vans for them. Nice Tire carrier, front light bar mount, lift, etc.

I had an 88 that we put 200k miles on back in the day. I love these vans, would be really nice to find one with only 40k miles to build on.
Original Poster [OP]
driver3
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » February 23rd 2021, 4:32am

Sure does look nice, quite the premium price though.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby MI_Ghost » February 23rd 2021, 4:33am

That 03 was on ebay and did not sell.
~Ghost
Ast' Cargo: 2001 Astro Cargo
Beauty: 2009 Impala LT
MI_Ghost
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full yearsMI_Ghost has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Ghost
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: Big White RWD Box

Postby AstroWill » February 23rd 2021, 4:42am

I'm not really surprised with that premium.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby AstroSurf » February 24th 2021, 12:18am

One of their Astros is what turned me onto to Astros when I was car shopping this summer. I didn't buy from them, but they move a lot of cars. I like checking out their website, occasionally, and have noticed that they've sold probably 5-7 Astros since August. They've all had that light bar on the front, too. The one I was checking out sold before I could look at it; for asking at $10,800. I'm in Jersey, (down the shore) if you want someone to check it out. They seem to sell to folks who know what they want and don't mind paying for it. Seem to have a lot buyers from out of state. They have another Astro for $9800 with 134k miles on the site, and the one with 43k seems to be sold already. I you want an Astro already lifted and serviced without searching for months and doing all the work and sourcing the parts..why not?

I''ve seen low mileage AWD Cargos list for $9-$11,000K around here.
AstroSurf
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): AstroSurf
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby sonnystile13 » February 25th 2021, 2:16pm

I contacted them about purchasing that light bar and the spare tire carries as they look pretty clean...

They let me know that they do indeed make them in house.

And they declined to sell them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sonnystile13
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » February 25th 2021, 3:15pm

I suspect they install that "light-bar" so they can sell typical vans for TWICE what they are worth.
Makes it "look" more off-road. Basic lift is otherwise simple.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby driver3 [OP] » February 25th 2021, 11:50pm

AstroSurf wrote:One of their Astros is what turned me onto to Astros when I was car shopping this summer. I didn't buy from them, but they move a lot of cars. I like checking out their website, occasionally, and have noticed that they've sold probably 5-7 Astros since August. They've all had that light bar on the front, too. The one I was checking out sold before I could look at it; for asking at $10,800. I'm in Jersey, (down the shore) if you want someone to check it out. They seem to sell to folks who know what they want and don't mind paying for it. Seem to have a lot buyers from out of state. They have another Astro for $9800 with 134k miles on the site, and the one with 43k seems to be sold already. I you want an Astro already lifted and serviced without searching for months and doing all the work and sourcing the parts..why not?

I appreciate that. The one I wanted was the 43k mile one and it's now set as reserved - so someone thought it was a deal. If I were to get one, I'm looking for low mileage. I want a low mileage interior as well. These are so much better than siennas, caravans, etc. I just wish they still made them. I can tote my family around and also tow my rpod camper. Any I've seen with 100k on them have some pretty beat interiors and that's not really replaceable.
Original Poster [OP]
driver3
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby AstroWill » February 27th 2021, 1:35am

Everyone values different things, if someone is willing to pay that price to save them time/effort then it's good for them. Same with lifts or 4x4 conversions. You can do a lift yourself for $100-200 or pay someone else $2k to do it. You can also figure out a 4x4 conversion for $150 or buy a kit for $1k, or pay someone else to do everything for even more. All of the information can be found here if you want to look for it. Choices are a good thing.

Interiors can be redone, look at what the aftermarket conversion van companies have done with them starting from a cargo van. Brand new seats with 0miles are available, can redo panels, get that wood trim interior that you always wanted ;) For me it's worth the time and effort just to have the learning experience, others just want the final product, nothing wrong with either way or anything in between.

Agree 100%, would be awesome if they still made them!

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby AstroSurf » March 1st 2021, 8:36pm

driver3 wrote:
AstroSurf wrote:One of their Astros is what turned me onto to Astros when I was car shopping this summer. I didn't buy from them, but they move a lot of cars. I like checking out their website, occasionally, and have noticed that they've sold probably 5-7 Astros since August. They've all had that light bar on the front, too. The one I was checking out sold before I could look at it; for asking at $10,800. I'm in Jersey, (down the shore) if you want someone to check it out. They seem to sell to folks who know what they want and don't mind paying for it. Seem to have a lot buyers from out of state. They have another Astro for $9800 with 134k miles on the site, and the one with 43k seems to be sold already. I you want an Astro already lifted and serviced without searching for months and doing all the work and sourcing the parts..why not?

I appreciate that. The one I wanted was the 43k mile one and it's now set as reserved - so someone thought it was a deal. If I were to get one, I'm looking for low mileage. I want a low mileage interior as well. These are so much better than siennas, caravans, etc. I just wish they still made them. I can tote my family around and also tow my rpod camper. Any I've seen with 100k on them have some pretty beat interiors and that's not really replaceable.

I'd keep my eye on their website, or even ask them to contact you when they find another low mileage example. From the looks of it, they find good examples of used cars that they think people will want. I think they've figured out they have a winner with Astro/Safari's, and they'll keep finding them and flipping them. There's no shame in buying what you want, even at a premium. Especially if you don't have a desire to do the work yourself. You're still saving a ton over buying something newer, and you'll have the car you want. Like we've already seen; someone's gonna buy it...might as well you be you. Seems demand for the Astro has risen, and we're seeing prices respond accordingly.

I'm fairly certain this, and the other, Astro/Safari site are contributors to the price increases, actually. I'd couldn't prove this, of course, but with all the youtube action from #vanlife; increased demand for vans, in general, for delivery and construction services, and all the resources available to owners, here...just a matter of time before someone started flipping these vans. I imagine they, publicly, stay off these sites for fear of criticism of their services/pricing, but utilize the resources, nonetheless. I've considered trying to do something similar; while I'm between endeavors, to be quite honest. I'm also between workshops, at the moment, so it's not realistic for me. But, it wouldn't take much for one of you folks to do the same exact thing and create some competition for/with Roverclassics.
AstroSurf
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA): AstroSurf
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo