My Safari was a victim of a hit and run, what now?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

My Safari was a victim of a hit and run, what now?

Postby powervalve [OP] » April 7th 2021, 5:04pm

Looking for some general advice on what to do about my Safari that got crashed into by a driver that left the scene recently.
Insurance company will almost certainly total it, and give me the option to 'buy it' back.
It seems a shame to let it go to a scrap yard, but I live in the city and do not have a garage or skills to fix the damage myself.
I should also mention that I didn't park it on the curb.
Timing is, of course, most inconvenient as I'd almost gotten everything crossed off the list and had a big road trip planned later this summer.
2005 Safari AWD, 190k
Any input is greatly appreciated!
IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_20210328_080939831.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
powervalve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Headers!... and now a code 44
    by 95SafariRunner » March 15th 2021, 7:35am in Exhaust
    8 Replies
    Last post by 95SafariRunner View the latest post
    March 25th 2021, 9:53pm
  • Van overheating then didn't then did now did again
    by JodiSouza » December 2nd 2020, 12:52pm in Engines
    20 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 11:20pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 5:33am

Re: My Safari was a victim of a hit and run, what now?

Postby Chunder » April 7th 2021, 5:43pm

Looks like the drivetrain took the brunt of the impact, not good...
Chunder
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby dcsleeper » April 7th 2021, 6:37pm

well at least you have the license plate!
That rear end will fail soon.
bummer
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dcsleeper has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby powervalve [OP] » April 7th 2021, 6:39pm

Thanks for the insight. It was my fear.
Might well have to start again from scratch.
Original Poster [OP]
powervalve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Brewtus » April 7th 2021, 6:48pm

I think starting fresh might be a good bet, too. I bet coming out to a mashed up vehicle is confusing and painful! Keep us updated on how everything turns out (if you get reimbursed).
Brewtus
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Brewtus has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Vivian & Dylan
Van Model Year: 1986
Extra Info: 1987 Aerolite Resto.

Postby backinabox » April 8th 2021, 1:33am

That is such a bummer I'm very sorry for your loss...A quick est. I see $3500 or more to fix using salvage parts, that is a very labor intensive repair and there are no new panels available....I wish I lived closer to you ( couldn't get any further) I'd buy it for parts .....best of luck with Insurance
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
backinabox
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Deano
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby AstroWill » April 8th 2021, 5:00am

Depends on what you want to work with. I could definitely see it being fixed to a usable state pretty darn cheaply. I mean you were thinking about replacing those rear leaf springs and clamshells anyway, right?

LOL, if the clamshell on that side ripped, but the frame isn't all bent out of shape, you can get a replacement rear end for $150 or so if needed, get a set of leaf springs/hangers/bolts $100 or so at a u-pull yard, or a few hundred new.

It's going to take looking at it, taking some measurements, doing an inventory on what is ACTUALLY damaged. If that passenger tire just got ripped off the bead the wheel may may still be good, etc. Then deciding on what path you want to take. Me, I would fix that van on the cheap and enjoy your planned vacation, worry about the looks later. Then if you decide you want to learn some auto body repair, hit up the library, youtube, and harbor freight and start learning :)

All personal decisions, but $300, a case of beer, a friend, and a day at the u-pull it might be all you need.

Then look for another one at your leisure of the same vintage so you can transfer your parts/mods to the new one if that is the route you decide to take.

I personally wouldn't give up on that one just yet. I'm about to hack up an 03, where are you located, what part of WA?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby powervalve [OP] » April 8th 2021, 6:23am

AstroWill wrote:Depends on what you want to work with. I could definitely see it being fixed to a usable state pretty darn cheaply. I mean you were thinking about replacing those rear leaf springs and clamshells anyway, right?

LOL, if the clamshell on that side ripped, but the frame isn't all bent out of shape, you can get a replacement rear end for $150 or so if needed, get a set of leaf springs/hangers/bolts $100 or so at a u-pull yard, or a few hundred new.

It's going to take looking at it, taking some measurements, doing an inventory on what is ACTUALLY damaged. If that passenger tire just got ripped off the bead the wheel may may still be good, etc. Then deciding on what path you want to take. Me, I would fix that van on the cheap and enjoy your planned vacation, worry about the looks later. Then if you decide you want to learn some auto body repair, hit up the library, youtube, and harbor freight and start learning :)

All personal decisions, but $300, a case of beer, a friend, and a day at the u-pull it might be all you need.

Then look for another one at your leisure of the same vintage so you can transfer your parts/mods to the new one if that is the route you decide to take.

I personally wouldn't give up on that one just yet. I'm about to hack up an 03, where are you located, what part of WA?

Thank you for the insight! Leaf springs (and other parts) are already on hand and had plans to install them next weekend.
I'm not totally familiar with what the clamshell is; is that the bracket that is between the leaf spring and the axle?

As for measurements, am I looking for symmetry, or is there something else I should be measuring?

Rear end and what damage it may have caused farther up the line when it got jammed forward is my bigger concern than body work at this point.

I'm in Seattle. The downside is the city doesn't lend itself to a lot of DIY repair work, especially with no garage / workspace.
Original Poster [OP]
powervalve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby powervalve [OP] » April 8th 2021, 6:44am

Thanks to everyone for the insight and condolences thus far! I'm reeling right now and trying to make the best decision.

Brewtus: You're totally right, a pretty sinking feeling to discover.
Backinabox: Thank you so much for a rough dollar estimate. It's helpful in determining what to do.

It's most unfortunate to have such a awesome vehicle taken out by an irresponsible driver.

Keep the opinions rolling.
Original Poster [OP]
powervalve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » April 8th 2021, 6:54pm

If you explained... then forget I asked...

they/it hit the Van and then they/it ran off?

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » April 8th 2021, 7:08pm

I could take a look at it, PM me I'm in North Seattle
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby powervalve [OP] » April 8th 2021, 7:13pm

sixsix wrote:If you explained... then forget I asked...

they/it hit the Van and then they/it ran off?

According to a neighbor, The driver crashed the Mazda 3 into the van, tried in vain to restart and dislodge the car and fled on foot.
Seattle police arrived later and towed the 3. I discovered the van the following evening.
The "run" was apparently quite literal in this case.
Original Poster [OP]
powervalve
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » April 8th 2021, 7:19pm

Sounds like Seattle to me, even if they caught him he would be back on the street in 12hrs with no charges filed.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby Leeann_93 » April 10th 2021, 11:15pm

Aw, crap. That sucks, man.

But yeah, fix what you have. The odds of finding another ‘05 in that kind of shape (notwithstanding the recent damage) are low.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » Yesterday, 6:03am

powervalve wrote:Thank you for the insight! Leaf springs (and other parts) are already on hand and had plans to install them next weekend.
I'm not totally familiar with what the clamshell is; is that the bracket that is between the leaf spring and the axle?

The clamshell mounts the leaf springs to the axle. They are kinda weak IMO but if that ripped/slid easily, your rear end might not even be damaged. Really have to inspect everything to know for sure.

powervalve wrote:As for measurements, am I looking for symmetry, or is there something else I should be measuring?

Exactly, measure diagonally from known points to see if everything is still square, often these points are available in the factory service manuals, look for obvious dents/bends/cracks/etc.
If you don't have a factory service manual, grab the GM Techline eSI for free, it's the digital factory service manual(see links in sig).

powervalve wrote:Rear end and what damage it may have caused farther up the line when it got jammed forward is my bigger concern than body work at this point.

Could be minimal, could be a lot, have to really inspect it to find out. The angle of the hit may have helped you a lot, considering that it looks like the rear tire was pushed forward until it hit the wheel well. Might still be able to use that rear, might not. Again, everything is going to have to be inspected, get it back where you can drive it/get it aligned, see if the driveshaft is ok, if there are any unusual sounds or vibrations.
powervalve wrote:I'm in Seattle. The downside is the city doesn't lend itself to a lot of DIY repair work, especially with no garage / workspace.

Should be pretty easy to do most of that with just regular hand tools, some jack stands and a driveway to work in.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches