Dog house / engine cover removal?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Dog house / engine cover removal?

Postby cook98astro [OP] » January 9th 2011, 5:55pm

I was fairly sure there was a thread somewhere with the steps to remove the engine cover but I'm having a hard time finding it. Ayone know where it is? Or how to get it off? My heat is only working on the defrost and won't change to nothing else. I read on here it's usually the vacum line running to the back of the engine. Of coaurse, I don't see any problems with the vacum lines under the hood...

MY Astro is a '98. Thanks in advance!

~Matt.
Original Poster [OP]
cook98astro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: cook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • House battery for existing infrastructure
    by Safariescapepod » September 25th 2020, 6:26pm in Projects/Builds
    4 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    September 26th 2020, 8:01pm
  • "House" System
    by AstroOafAdventurer » December 3rd 2020, 1:59pm in Electrical
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 11:08pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 9:36pm

Re: Dog house / engine cover removal?

Postby Gary » January 9th 2011, 6:14pm

You have to remove the part that is the glove box,cup holder,etc.You will see two latches on the floor.Right under the dash above the center section you took off is two screws(one on each side) that you turn 1/2 that are latches.Those are not easily seen they are towards the firewall.I bought a really long kind of big screw driver just for that purpose.For me anyways was a feel kind of thing.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Postby Phantom » January 9th 2011, 7:33pm

Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » January 9th 2011, 7:54pm

Interestingly enough, it appears that in Gen II vans, the top latches (that need the
long screwdriver or several socket extensions) are accessed from the cab (inside).
In the Gen I's, they are accessed from the engine compartment (outside).

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Dirk » January 9th 2011, 8:03pm

That's right, but I prefer the Gen I method!
1985 Astro conversion, engine type N 4.3 4BBL

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

Parts are cheap breakdowns expensive.

Don't worry about miles per gallon, worry about smiles per gallon!
Dirk
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Dirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L 4BBL

Postby Phantom » January 9th 2011, 8:19pm

The front seat does not have to come out to remove the engine cover ; but doing so gives a lot more room to fit your body in the area to reach things , if all you are going to do is replace cap and rotor the you can leave seat in place , but for me it is easy to remove 4 nuts and seat comes out giving much greater access to the whole engine , like the coil and stuff up in there ,, and the 2 screws at the top of engine cover can be seen easily with a flashlight
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby redfury » January 9th 2011, 8:48pm

Removing it's not the hard part, it's just a matter of knowing where all the screws are that hold it in. The hard part is getting it back on...more importantly getting the top two screws in. The first time I did my doghouse, I got the one screw in and thought I had the other one started, and tightened the whole thing down on the one side....the other wasn't actually in the hole and partly threaded like I thought, so I ended up having to pull the other screw back out and reposition the whole thing again.

SO, when installing the doghouse, put the passenger screw in first, make sure it's grabbing the threads, then do the drivers side. The rest goes really fast. I use a socket and extensions for the screws up top, because I have horrible luck using flat blade screwdrivers.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby Gary » January 9th 2011, 9:11pm

Phantom wrote:The front seat does not have to come out to remove the engine cover ; but doing so gives a lot more room to fit your body in the area to reach things , if all you are going to do is replace cap and rotor the you can leave seat in place , but for me it is easy to remove 4 nuts and seat comes out giving much greater access to the whole engine , like the coil and stuff up in there ,, and the 2 screws at the top of engine cover can be seen easily with a flashlight

The two top screws?????.Oh man.I say red,you say blue. :doh: I say yes,you say no. :banghead: Ok,Ok,I'm going try"maybe"just to see what ya say........ :lol: :lol: :snooty:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » January 9th 2011, 9:44pm

Gary wrote:
Phantom wrote: ,, and the 2 screws at the top of engine cover can be seen easily with a flashlight

The two top screws?????.Oh man.I say red,you say blue. :doh: I say yes,you say no. :banghead: Ok,Ok,I'm going try"maybe"just to see what ya say........ :lol: :lol: :snooty:

Gary wrote:.Right under the dash above the center section you took off is two screws(one on each side) that you turn 1/2 that are latches.Those are not easily seen they are towards the firewall.I bought a really long kind of big screw driver just for that purpose.For me anyways was a feel kind of thing.

Did you not say screws? :lol:
The ones I have seen as well as mine are like two big screws , like as in bolts with a slot in them so a big screwdriver will work or a about a 3/4 " socket with extensions , and they do thread into the firewall , not latches ; takes several turns of the ratchet to tighten them down . :mrgreen:
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » January 9th 2011, 10:15pm

Alright.Now you done it.I am going on a hunger strike until you take that back :snooty: .Damaged me for life and maybe my first born 40yr old son too. :eek:

I won't be able to sleep either. :sleep:

I am revising my advise.Ya take a torch and you................. ;) :whistle:

Now I am calling DR Phil......hello DR how about Tues for a appointment??.Two o'clock??.OK.I got this guy I gots to talk to you about on a forum that is my whole life.What???.Yes my whole life.How much???.Well send the bill to......... :evil: :lol: :lol:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby Dirk » January 9th 2011, 10:22pm

May I suggest a BFH?
But I suspect this topic has served it's purpose and is going way off right now :rofl:

Dirk
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Dirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » January 9th 2011, 10:34pm

Gary wrote:Alright.Now you done it.I am going on a hunger strike until you take that back :snooty: .Damaged me for life and maybe my first born 40yr old son too. :eek:

I won't be able to sleep either. :sleep:

I am revising my advise.Ya take a torch and you................. ;) :whistle:

Now I am calling DR Phil......hello DR how about Tues for a appointment??.Two o'clock??.OK.I got this guy I gots to talk to you about on a forum that is my whole life.What???.Yes my whole life.How much???.Well send the bill to......... :evil: :lol: :lol:

Why O Why doesn't anyone understand me??? :cry: :cry: :shrug:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » January 9th 2011, 11:11pm

Gary wrote:
Gary wrote:

Why O Why doesn't anyone understand me??? :cry: :cry: :shrug:

Oh No not that ...:violence-axechase:
Relax take a deep breath , don't let the claw get you :obscene-tolietclaw:
and take your meds :obscene-smokingweed:

:happy-sunshine:

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » January 9th 2011, 11:53pm

Lumpy wrote:Interestingly enough, it appears that in Gen II vans, the top latches (that need the
long screwdriver or several socket extensions) are accessed from the cab (inside).

Lump

Isn't that backwards, Lumpy? I don't have to do anything through the engine compartment to remove mine.

For pics:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6322&p=57382#p57382
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Dirk » January 9th 2011, 11:55pm

The pre 1990 Astro's have the top bolts located in the engine bay.

Dirk
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » January 10th 2011, 12:56am

On my 1985 the two top latches are in the engine compartment and on my 1994 the top two are inside the van.

Now this story is my story and I ant changing it :snooty: :snooty: :nono: .
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby cook98astro [OP] » January 10th 2011, 1:16am

Great info! Thanks guys!
Original Poster [OP]
cook98astro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: cook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full yearscook98astro has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L AWD

Postby Lumpy » January 10th 2011, 2:58am

My 89...
(Inside) Remove the glove compartment and it's plastic stuff, 2 - 10mm bolts
accessed by opening the "glovebox".
(Inside) Remove the ground cables from the bottom of that same bunch of
glove compartment assembly, 2 - 10mm bolts accessed kind of blind from
the very bottom - I use a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm socket.
(Inside) Flip the clamshell levers on the bottom of the doghouse - hand power.
(Underhood) Loosen the two 15mm bolts that point rearward,
left and right of the air cleaner. Requires long bunch of socket extensions
OR a really long, big, flat blade screwdriver. Bolts don't come out, they are
held captive by some kind of bracket. Loosen them till you feel them spin,
then the threads are clear of the doghouse "nut" .

Photos below show where the passenger side bolt access point is. It is
incorrectly labeled 16mm in the photos, should be labeled 15mm.

As others have suggested, in my particular year at least, getting the thing BACK
into the correct mounting location is harder than getting it disconnected
in the first place. I don't pull the seats to do mine but I have to squeeze
the whole thing a bit and be sure the seats are slid all the way rearward
on their adjustment tracks.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Phantom » January 10th 2011, 3:14am

Lumpy wrote:Interestingly enough, it appears that in Gen II vans, the top latches (that need the

Lump

Phantom wrote:The front seat does not have to come out to remove the engine cover ; but doing so gives a lot more room to fit your body in the area to reach things , if all you are going to do is replace cap and rotor the you can leave seat in place , but for me it is easy to remove 4 nuts and seat comes out giving much greater access to the whole engine , like the coil and stuff up in there ,, and the 2 screws at the top of engine cover can be seen easily with a flashlight

Yep mine is a Gen 2 , that is probably the difference in the way they are attached to the firewall , as said earlier the top on mine are threaded into the firewall from the inside and the bolts are secured to the engine cover so they do not fall off when removed and are part of the engine cover .
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby paulo57509 » January 15th 2011, 11:29pm

With my '03 Safari, I have to unbolt and get the passenger side seat out of the way. If I don't do this, there's no way to get the cover out of the way.
paulo57509
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: paulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full yearspaulo57509 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 24
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD