60 gal two stage compressor oil less or not??.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

60 gal two stage compressor oil less or not??.

Postby Gary [OP] » February 10th 2011, 6:27am

In the coming wks I am going to be looking for a used 60 gal two stage compressor.I admit I am old school on this with a point of view that the oil less looks cheesy and not as good.

What aside from the oil less in the lines are the advantages and disadvantages of each type??.
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: high top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 60 gal two stage compressor oil less or not??.

Postby RECox286 » February 10th 2011, 2:04pm

Hey Gary,

I've been fooling with air compressors since I was a teenager, now 64, and here's some of my 2 scents:

Oilless compressors run too fast to last as long as a good slow piston machine will that has oil and an intercooler to help dissapate the heat that builds up as the machine operates. I have a compressor that I built using an old refrigeration pump that was probably 30 years old when I found it, and it is still working well after 35 years of continual use at my garage.
On the other hand, when we got into the business of draining domestic water from vacation homes for the winter, we decided to go with oilless so there would not be any contamination of the water system, and the oilless was less bulky to carry around. Bad mistake. The price was right, but the machine only lasted a partial season before it literally burnt up, and we needed a replacement. I went back to a slow turning piston style that we continued to use for the next ten years or so. It is still working well, at my nephew's garage.
I would recommend that you get a machine that has oil in the crankcase, has two stages, turns around 500-600 RPM tops, incorporates an intercooler, is rated to NMT 175 PSI, has an unloader, cycles 170 psi OFF - 100 psi ON, and has the biggest air reservoir you can find. Nice but not necessary: automatic drain on the tank. Stay away from Chinese machines, they just will be junk before their time.
I don't know if you are looking for new or used, but I found the older used machines to be a good way to go if you are on a budget, and handy enough to do any repairs that they might need. Sometimes the only thing needed is to recondition the head of the compressor, change the belts, oil, tweek the electric parts (pressure switch). You know, the usual PM stuff.

If you have any other questions, give me a shout.

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby paintdrying » February 10th 2011, 4:57pm

I too am in the market for a compressor. I will just buy whatever off of craigslist. i do a lot of trim carpentery. One thing I can say about those chinese compressors is they are very quiet. For around 150 bucks I can get a new compressor, that is really light and quiet. I can also run my framer gun off it. I am not sure how long it will last, even if I get a year out of it I am happy , and would buy another one.
Those oilless craftsmen are fairly powerful and the last one I bought lasted 3 years running all day. Granted they are junk, however I sleep a little better at night knowing if someone steals it, no big deal. I love buying quality tools that will last a lifetime, but times are changing, if it will work use it. Also, make sure to drain the compressor everynight.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby RECox286 » February 10th 2011, 9:12pm

The Oil-less type do have their place, however, that place is not in my shop. They are cheaper, I'll give you that with no arguement. If you are looking for a machine that will last the lifetime warranty (ha) go with the tried and true.

It seems that the diaphram compressors are everywhere, and the reason: price. They can be built as "direct drive" units where the motor is integral with the "cylinder". But, with the lack of the heavier duty parts, you will, as many owners do, place them on the scrap heap long before their piston counterparts. It is the throw away philosophy, they are cheaper to replace than repair. Being direct drive, they just run too damn fast, and create too much heat.

If you are using the compressor as a source for nailing, then yes, they will fit the bill nicely, because a gun is a very low air usage tool, the compressor need not be very large, or produce much volumn and only about 90psi tops. For the automotive shop, though, such a small, lightweight compressor will not keep up with the tools that are commonly used, which means that they are off and running again prior to letting the compressor cool between cycles. Some automotive tools will even run a well running shop system out of air, while the compressor labors.

Think of it in terms of grinding a V-8s' Starter Motor continuously for 5 minutes, letting it sit for only 30 seconds, and then having at it again. What are the chances of premature failure of the Starter ? They aren't made for that kind of abuse.

Selection criterion: Opt for the highest CFM (cubic feet/minute) @ 90 psi which is a standard specification for rating compressors. I would not consider a machine that has less than [email protected], and I would much rather see an average of [email protected] in order to satisfy the needs of grinders, air chisles, impact wrenches, blow guns, etc, but even a 20CFM machine will not keep up with a blasting media cabinet.

When working on a project it is rather a nuisance to have to "wait" for the compressor to catch up. Ideally, the compressor should be OFF, more than ON, or at least 50/50. Rather like using a compressor that one would find in an emergency kit in the trunk of the car for Inflating tires...20 or so minutes later, still buzzing.

I found an old "American Brake" shop compressor on the curb. I looked on the internet and found a valve rebuild kit. Had to replace the pressure switch, regulator, pressure gage and the drive belts.
The motor was frozen, so I took it apart to clean up the bearings and centrifugal starter switch and give it a little grease here and there. Changed the oil in the compressor, and made an airfilter because the original was missing. I put a smaller drive sheave on the motor, so that the compressor would go slower than designed. It is a 2 stage with intercooler, and sounds like a little sewing machine when it is running. It sits on a 30 or 40 gallon tank, and will pressurize from 0 to 175psi in about 5 to 6 minutes I only spent about $50 in all, plus a couple of hours of my time, for a machine that, if new, would cost in the neighborhood of $1500. Not a bad find.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby chevymaher » February 11th 2011, 12:46am

This one has not been made in 32 years I got it off craigslist eighty bucks three years ago.Reed valves were clogged a little parts washer soaking .Has not given me any problem in three years Ive had it.Eighty gallon storage tank hooked to that .I found a formula for acfm online and it puts out 14.75.So evrybody show pics of yours.There good deals if your lookin for them
0314000803 (1).jpg
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby webcat » February 11th 2011, 1:09am

chevymaher wrote:This one has not been made in 32 years I got it off craigslist eighty bucks three years ago.Reed valves were clogged a little parts washer soaking .Has not given me any problem in three years Ive had it.Eighty gallon storage tank hooked to that .I found a formula for acfm online and it puts out 14.75.So evrybody show pics of yours.There good deals if your lookin for them
0314000803 (1).jpg

Thats a really nice one , yeah belt driven is the way to go :thumbup:
You have a sound clip of that baby :lol:
webcat
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby chevymaher » February 11th 2011, 2:05am

.Its little motorcycle engine sound.I used a high amperage switch with ground disconnect so it runs off a light looking switch on the cieling.That babies whole purpose was painting the van years ago when it got smacked the first time.It is handy sanders chisels impact I dont know how I did without so long.I take my phone down now see if I can U tube it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years

Postby chevymaher » February 11th 2011, 2:31am

It a sound bite it to dark in corner to see it at night all the light in front of van.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 11th 2011, 2:55am

I've got a Dayton Speedaire, 20 gal 2 hp horizontal compressor - oil bath type, 240v. Got it free along with an ugly van that I've since sold. Sucker just keeps thumpin' along. I thought I had a pic but I can't find it now; I'll take one later.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby webcat » February 11th 2011, 3:08am

Leeann_93 wrote:I've got a Dayton Speedaire, 20 gal 2 hp horizontal compressor - oil bath type, 240v. Got it free along with an ugly van that I've since sold. Sucker just keeps thumpin' along. I thought I had a pic but I can't find it now; I'll take one later.

Leanne , is this it ?
found it google image
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 950 times
webcat
Years of Membership: webcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full yearswebcat has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 253
Alias (AKA): Larry aka Rambo
Extra Info: g10 5.7L vortec

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 11th 2011, 3:25am

That's newer than mine. Mine looks more like this

3na3mb3l65T25W15R0b17bbb7daf93f5518f8.jpg
3na3mb3l65T25W15R0b17bbb7daf93f5518f8.jpg (7.57 KiB) Viewed 964 times

I've got a 3Z419B.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » February 11th 2011, 3:41am

Leeann_93 wrote:That's newer than mine. Mine looks more like this

3na3mb3l65T25W15R0b17bbb7daf93f5518f8.jpg

I've got a 3Z419B.

Is that a 2 or three cylinder one LeAnn my buddy got one like that and it 3 cylinder.An old sears one.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 11th 2011, 3:56am

I've gotta look again, but I think it's a 2 cyl.

EDIT: yup, a 2cyl.

Specs from the specs, performance & parts list:

2 HP, 2 CYL, 10.5 CFM 6.2 CFM Free Air @ 100 PSI, 750 RPM, 20 gal, 2¾" bore, 2" stroke, max work pressure 125 psi
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » February 11th 2011, 5:44am

Hey Leeann,

That is a classic ! Give it an oil change and clean the air filter about once a year or two, and that "beast" will probably outlast you. Speedaire is a respected name in the business. Parts can still be had for practically ALL their stuff, from Grainger, or Speedaire direct.

Chevymaher,

These older compressors just don't want to die. You might want to think about putting some sort of a cover on that pressure switch to keep little fingers out of harms' way.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)

Postby chevymaher » February 11th 2011, 6:31am

RECox286 wrote:Hey Leeann,

That is a classic ! Give it an oil change and clean the air filter about once a year or two, and that "beast" will probably outlast you. Speedaire is a respected name in the business. Parts can still be had for practically ALL their stuff, from Grainger, or Speedaire direct.

Chevymaher,

These older compressors just don't want to die. You might want to think about putting some sort of a cover on that pressure switch to keep little fingers out of harms' way.

Bob
It got a cover on it That picture is real old when I was wiring house for the 220 and putting it in.Covers just off in picture.And I did the me thing to get the CFM it 30% overdriven.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 12th 2011, 12:01am

Got the pics...here you go. Obviously, I need to clean it and do some rust reformation...and it's time for an oil change, too.

Speedaire_1.jpg

Speedaire_2.jpg
Speedaire_2.jpg (122.35 KiB) Viewed 935 times

I've got 100' of hose on a hose reel that pulls straight out the basement steps to outside. It's perfect - the driveway is 10' away.
Speedaire_5.jpg
Speedaire_5.jpg (96.24 KiB) Viewed 935 times
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » February 12th 2011, 1:19am

Thats nice LeAnn that was what kind I almost got.But they were more expensive than one I got because it was clogged and would not hold pressure.A oil and dirt mix in the reed valves and they dont sell parts so they thought it was junk.And I jealous you got a hose reel.I got three outlets around garage but keep my hoses rolled up hanging from nail on cieling.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Leeann_93Leeann_93 is online! » February 12th 2011, 1:56am

I got lucky. We paid $1500 for the van and got the air compressor, a console humidifier, 4 Michelin LTX M+S tires mounted on nice Dodge rims and 1 MIchelin other tire on a spare rim (235/75/R15 - that's what I put on the Bravada for the first 2 years), an engine crane, an engine stand, an old Craftsman drill press, a 12 ton shop press (those 4 went to the bf's brother's shop since he has room for them), umm...there were a couple other things but I can't remember now.

Used the van for 4 years - B250 with a 360 and tow package - and sold it for $750. Used the tires for 2 years until they dry-rotted. The tools are still in use in his brother's shop, the console humidifier is in use every day in the winter in my house and the compressor is in constant use. Not so bad, huh?

I bought the hose reel from Grizzly Industrial online. It was on sale pretty cheap (I wanna say under $30) since it's hand-crank. The hose is two 50' lengths with a coupler, bought at Lowe's. We have a filter/dryer we haven't installed yet, but really need to.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » February 12th 2011, 2:46am

Leeann_93 wrote:I got lucky. We paid $1500 for the van and got the air compressor, a console humidifier, 4 Michelin LTX M+S tires mounted on nice Dodge rims and 1 MIchelin other tire on a spare rim (235/75/R15 - that's what I put on the Bravada for the first 2 years), an engine crane, an engine stand, an old Craftsman drill press, a 12 ton shop press (those 4 went to the bf's brother's shop since he has room for them), umm...there were a couple other things but I can't remember now.

Used the van for 4 years - B250 with a 360 and tow package - and sold it for $750. Used the tires for 2 years until they dry-rotted. The tools are still in use in his brother's shop, the console humidifier is in use every day in the winter in my house and the compressor is in constant use. Not so bad, huh?

I bought the hose reel from Grizzly Industrial online. It was on sale pretty cheap (I wanna say under $30) since it's hand-crank. The hose is two 50' lengths with a coupler, bought at Lowe's. We have a filter/dryer we haven't installed yet, but really need to.

That a heck of a deal for sure.Bought the tools and they threw in a van to take them away in.I got a moisture trap on one line but I only use it when I paint.Pressure regulator/Trap combo deal.I draw my tool air from top of second tank so I dont get alot of moisture in line.Just give my tools a shot of lube everytime I use them.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Gary [OP] » February 12th 2011, 5:28am

Having read what people said confirms what I was thinking.No oil less for me.The next compressor I will be looking for used will be a belt driven two stage 60 gallon horizontal tank.I owned a 120 gallon vertical tank that even shimming it towards the drain,I couldn't get as much water out of that as the horizontal ones.It will be a 220 powered motor.The two stage is for the CFM for body tools like board sanders,sand blasters,ect that are known to need a high CFM rating.
Original Poster [OP]
Gary
Dearly Departed
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Next