Help - I get really lousy mileage - 8.2 MPG!

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: Help - I get really lousy mileage - 8.2 MPG!

Postby Moshe [OP] » August 6th 2008, 9:49am

I looked on the exhaust, and I saw a little hole that is closed up with a nut. Is that where the o2 sensor is supposed to go? See attached pictures.

When I called yet another mechanic, to price the o2 sensor (this one is an official UMI [united motors international] mechanic), he too told me that there are models without o2 sensors, and he has to see the car. Is there any reason that GM would build some models without the sensor? No "check engine now" light is lit by me - and I'd guess that one should be lit if the o2 sensor is missing.
Attachments
o2sensor3.jpg
o2sensor4.jpg
o2sensor5.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Moshe
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Moshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • checking mileage on junk yard vans
    by Rod's Trucks » November 19th 2020, 4:41am in Electrical
    16 Replies
    Last post by stent View the latest post
    December 5th 2020, 5:29pm
  • 1995 GMC Safari HWY Beast! But poor fuel mileage..
    by 95SafariRunner » January 31st 2021, 10:16am in Engines
    12 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    February 2nd 2021, 8:13pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 10:21pm

Postby Astro-van.de » August 6th 2008, 12:52pm

Hi,

is the "SES"-Light on, when you turn on the Ignition ? (or is there no Bulb in there)

regards Jens
Bj.90, 2WD, Motorcode : Z, short, Cargo, highjacked,LPG (LR LCS1 110l-Stako) 1GCCM15Z6LB......

now i have an new Bumper in the Back 8-)
Astro-van.de
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Astro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full yearsAstro-van.de has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby Moshe [OP] » August 6th 2008, 1:01pm

When I put the key in and turn it, the light goes on for a few seconds and then turns off. To the best of my knowledge, it works.
Original Poster [OP]
Moshe
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Moshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full yearsMoshe has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby kidhauler » August 7th 2008, 4:21am

Yes the bolt in your exhaust is where the O2 sensor should bolt in. It would also plug into the 3 wire plug that you found hanging beside the transmission. Since you have had such a tough time finding a mechanic that knows anything about North Americain cars make sure that you get a 3wire heated sensor. If they order the wrong one you will not be able to hook it up.
Once you have the sensor plugged it your mileage will get much much better. Make sure that when you put in the sensor in you leave the grey goopy stuff on the threads. It is called never seize and will stop the sensor from becoming stuck in the exhaust pipe.
Gone to happier grounds.
kidhauler
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: kidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Postby Moshe [OP] » August 7th 2008, 5:19am

Kidhauler: Thanks.

I think I'll just order an o2 sensor in the USA and have it sent to me. I'll then find a local mechanic who is willing to follow directions and simply install the darn thing.

Which brand would you recommend? I see that there are lots of brands, ranging from $25 - $100 or so.

Thanks

Moshe
Original Poster [OP]
Moshe
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby kidhauler » August 8th 2008, 2:44am

I have used the NGK sensors in my van and have been fairly happy with them. If I were you I would think about ordering 2-3 since you have to have them shipped so far and it is a part that will go bad every so often. If your only going to order one then get the best one on the market. (most expensive is my guess) I usually get the NGK because they have a one year warrenty on them so I keep my receipt and exchange them often. However you do not have the option of returning the part. You can usually intall the sensor unit with a cresent wrench in about 5 minutes. I have even swapped a sensor on the side of the highway when I was trying to diagnose a problem.

You might have a hard time getting that bolt out of the exhaust take it for a drive and get the exhaust nice and hot to try and loosen up the bolt. If you can't get it you can just drill another hole slightly ahead of the one that is there and then weld on a nut with the right size threads and use that to mount the sensor.

Good luck it sounds like your on the right track at long last.

Kevin
Gone to happier grounds.
kidhauler
Years of Membership: kidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full yearskidhauler has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby dcarlson12 » August 12th 2008, 8:51pm

That connector is obviously very dirty so you are definitely going to need to put some effort into cleaning it well before plugging the sensor connector into it.....
Keep us informed how it goes....
Good luck.
dcarlson12
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: dcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Moshe [OP] » August 16th 2008, 8:03pm

OK- I ordered a Denso o2 Sensor - it was delivered in the US yesterday - hopefully I'll have it quickly.

How do you recommend cleaning the the connector? Soap and water when the engine is off and no current is running through it or do I need to disconnect the battery as well?
Original Poster [OP]
Moshe
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby kidhauler » August 16th 2008, 11:21pm

I would use some wd-40 and a little bit of scrubbing with a small metal brush. Just scrub lightly when the engine is off. You could give it a shot of engine degreaser on the outside of the plug to remove the really gross stuff. I would also give it a shot of white lithium grease on the conectors before you plug it in.

Hope you get the van fixed up soon.
Gone to happier grounds.
kidhauler
Alias (AKA):

Postby Moshe [OP] » August 26th 2008, 6:55am

Thanks to everyone for their help! The O2 sensor is finally in the car - it cost me $10 at a local mechanic to have him install it - I would never have been able to get the bolt out of the hole - he needed to use an air powered thingee to get it out. Took about 15 minutes.

I'll post my mileage when I figure out the new mileage - it will be a few weeks before go through two tanks of gas.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Original Poster [OP]
Moshe
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby dcarlson12 » November 10th 2008, 9:19pm

Never heard back from you. What were your results?
dcarlson12
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: dcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full yearsdcarlson12 has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby timelessbeing » November 12th 2008, 10:25pm

So how do you check if the fuel injectors are working properly anyways?
2000 Astro AWD Passenger
4.3L CSFI V6 • 3.73 G80 • 4" OV lift • 30" AT tires
timelessbeing
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: timelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full yearstimelessbeing has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Lifted AWD 4.3

Previous