Annual inspection passed

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Annual inspection passed

Postby Astrocurious [OP] » August 27th 2017, 3:37pm

It's been a case of bad news, good news, bad news and more good news over the last couple of months.

My voltage gauge was fluctuating quite a lot and the van gave up with a flat battery as I tried to pull away from a petrol station.

The problem turned out to be a poor connection with the battery warning light in the dashboard. Alternators need a 12v supply to start the charging process and this runs through the dashboard warning light. Some alternators only need this supply on startup and some need a constant supply. All is fixed now and we are happily charging.

It was also MOT time (ministry of transport annual inspection) so the van was cleaned up and sent in a month early. A lot of last years advisories were sorted out by the previous owner but the brake pipes were still rusty for the fourth year running. This is probably why the main pipe behind the petrol tank split while the van was being tested! I felt really bad because there was a lot of brake fluid pouring all over the testers nice clean floor.

I was intending to replace the pipes after the MOT but was waiting just in case there was a major issue. This forced my hand and the van was limped over to the garage next door. I thought this would be a good chance to clear all of the advisories so I asked the garage to replace both ball joints (one was a failure anyway) replace the drag link and replace all of the brake pipes.

They worked hard and got most completed. The ball joints were the originals and were a sod to get out. The drag link was replaced and all but the front brake pipes were replaced as the bleed nipples on the calipers looked a bit too crusty. I didn't have time to order new ones so they were left to me to do. I will either order a new set of bleed screws or treat the van to some new calipers.

This looks much better.

I am really pleased, the van has covered around 4500 miles this year in complete comfort. There are still niggles which I will try to sort out over the next few months which will keep it going even further.
Original Poster [OP]
Astrocurious
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: Astrocurious has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrocurious has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrocurious has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrocurious has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Mirage conversion