Importing GMC Safari from Canada

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Importing GMC Safari from Canada

Postby surfsup [OP] » May 3rd 2019, 8:06am

Does any one have experience purchasing a GMC Safari in Canada and importing it into the US? I plan to buy a Canadian GMC Safari and later drive it back to the US clearing it through Customs & Border Patrol. As I understand it, there are 2 key import requirements for vehicles less than 25 years old:

1) EPA emissions standard. According to the EPA web site, a Canadian vehicle is acceptable for import if it has an emissions label stating that it is certified to United States EPA federal emission standards. The emissions label, titled "Vehicle Emission Control Information", is usually found along the drivers side door, under the hood, or inside the engine compartment. The label will state if it conforms to US EPA requirements.

Has anyone seen the emissions label of a Canadian Safari? Can anyone confirm if it actually states that it conforms to EPA regulations?

2) DOT's NHTSA vehicle safety standard. To be free of import restrictions, a vehicle must bear a label stating that it was manufactured to comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). Most Canadian vehicles will just bear a label certifying compliance with Canadian motor vehicle safety standards (CMVSS).

Has anyone seen the vehicle safety standard label of a Canadian GMC Safari? Does it state that it conforms to FMVSS as well as CMVSS?

The ease by which one can import a Canadian vehicle into the US will usually depend on whether its labels explicitly endorse these EPA and NHTSA standards. If the vehicle's labels do not provide these endorsements then one would have to go through greater effort to document that the vehicle satisfies the US government's vehicle emission and safety requirements.

Has anyone gone through this experience? How difficult was it to import a Safari from Canada to the US?
Original Poster [OP]
surfsup
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: surfsup has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Broke down in remote Yukon Canada
    by Ak99676 » February 4th 2021, 1:48am in Engines
    21 Replies
    Last post by Jimmy111 View the latest post
    March 17th 2021, 1:29am
  • 02 gmc safari build
    by Rahdigs » October 15th 2020, 5:40am in Projects/Builds
    2 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 11:25pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 13th 2021, 12:10pm

Re: Importing GMC Safari from Canada

Postby AstroWill » May 4th 2019, 1:02am

Should be quite easy as they were made for both countries, but I don't have any more information for you.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby 90safari » May 5th 2019, 8:58pm

I'd make sure it passed Canadian emissions as some provinces are a little different on emissions like our states are. I'd also have it safety inspected (kind of like Maryland and PA do). If you do those 2 things, I don't think you'll have a problem. You might want to contact either US Custom's, or maybe an expediter, and see if there's any paper work you'll need before you pick it up in Canada. I only say this, as I've shipped a car out of the country (it went to the UK), but it was over 25 years old. I had to have insurance on it, and it had to have a current registration (legal for road use) according to the buyer.
Like Will said, they were built for both countries, and were built to North American specs.
I hope this helps.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby MechBob » May 5th 2019, 10:09pm

All Astros/Safaris were made in USA,Baltimore.USA and Canadian emissions and safety standards were almost,if not, identical.The biggest thing would be to make sure there are no liens against the vehicle.I would contact the port of entry/exit for current possible changes.Will leave you some links to read.Probably a good time,as the Canadian dollar is low right now,about 25 cents less than USA dollar.there is the chance,depending where you live,as vehicle is older,you may have to pay a State induced poor mileage(low efficiency) tax. https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import- ... orting-car https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-in ... om-canada/ https://www.thoughtco.com/how-to-import ... da-3308369
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4x4