Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Need a measurement

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mr_Roboto 
#1 ·
Can someone out there with a RWD get me the distance between the top of the tail shaft where the output seal is to the floor pan of the van? I'm trying to see if I need to make a spacer for my trans crossmember. I think that everything is hanging slightly low right now and could really use throwing an inch under it to get some more exhaust clearance.

#2 ·
ok tranny comes back.... then a round piece at end of tranny then the u joint on drive shaft ...then the drive shaft for a few inches is thinner then it gets fatter the rest of the way back.... that is what i am looking at

i measured just behind the u joint on the thinner part of the drive shaft and from top of driveshaft to floor pan was 7 1/4 inches

1998 Safari RWD

hope that helps

#5 ·
I find this discussion interesting in the fact I was just looking at my stock drive-line on my 92 (last night)... and for the first time I think my trans might be sitting a tad low. I haven't actually looked at it carefully enough, but it is sitting in stock mounts in stock location. There are proper trans > drive-shaft > pinion angles... which would concern me most. I need to take some actual measurements.

Ideally, the trans angle should be complimentary to the pinion... same as pinion angle.

I had to space my NP233 transfer case up quite a bit to get better output angle.. but I attribute this to the 233 being smaller than the stock AWD case... which caused it to sit lower.

Here is how I spaced mine (on my 2000)

20181027_175111.jpg

A couple photo suggestions regarding angles:

pinion trans angle 01.jpeg

It should probably be noted (in next photo) that "perfect inline" is not actually considered best.
Ideal is considered to be more like 1-3 degree matching angles (like 2nd illustration)..

Driveline pinion angles 01.JPG

SIDENOTE: If you have a level edge on you phone (remove from case)... I found it to offer quite accurate results with a good app. Surprisingly, it can give you measurements in the decimal 1/10th's of a degree angles (or even 1/1000th's with utility app)... far more accurate than my actual angle too. :D

Here are two screen shots (from my phone)
1) is a simple "bubble" app (I use this often)
2) is more complex utility app (reads actual sensor data)

Screenshot_20200326-133429_.jpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.