Harbor Freight Hit or Miss List

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Harbor Freight Hit or Miss List

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » July 10th 2020, 2:01am

Seems a mixed bag when buying from HF. I've had some great tools from there, but I've also had some crappy ones. Figured I'd put up a post that people can add to and share what they have found...good or bad. Tools, hardware, air compressors etc etc.

I've been thinking about a new air compressor. The Central Pneumatic seems to be their go to range, but I also noticed the McGraw brand whilst in there today.

I've been using some of their Icon line with good results so far. Just bought some more today. Too early to comment on the longevity of it...but so far so good!
Attachments
20200709_154412.jpg
CURRENT: 2002 GMC SAFARI AWD SLE 'GOLD DIGGER'. 5 INCH LIFT. G80. GT4.
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD SLE

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 1989- RS to 4x4 swap list
    by markmitch » September 12th 2020, 4:27pm in Projects/Builds
    27 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 8th 2020, 4:48pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 4th 2021, 2:19pm

Re: Harbor Freight Hit or Miss List

Postby gman » July 10th 2020, 4:45am

I read and watched videos that mentioned that their torque wrenches are quite great.
I own 2 of them myself and they work really well and seem to click at exactly the same spot every time.

I have a beam wrench as well, so I will actually test their calibration sometime.
Believe it or not, all 3 of them have come in handy in various situations.
Thought I wasted money on them, but I've used all 3 for different reasons.

Anyways, the videos consisted of people torture/drop testing them and comparing them to some really high end torque wrenches and they actually outperformed them.

I prefer real world use over time tests over torture tests, but hey, it's something scientific-ish.

I also watched another video of an aircraft mechanic saying that all he and most of the people in the bay use are HF torque wrenches, because they need something that works, is easy to use, isn't super fancy, and has a low error rate.

If its good enough for an aircraft mechanic that's used it for most of his career with no issues, it's definitely good enough for whatever I want to use it for.

They have had several jackstand recalls though, and it probably has something to do with the quality control of wherever it's made.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: gman has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Base 4.3 RWD

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » July 10th 2020, 5:02am

gman wrote:I read and watched videos that mentioned that their torque wrenches are quite great.
I own 2 of them myself and they work really well and seem to click at exactly the same spot every time.

I have a beam wrench as well, so I will actually test their calibration sometime.

Anyways, the videos consisted of people torture/drop testing them and comparing them to some really high end torque wrenches and they actually outperformed them.

I prefer real world use over time tests over torture tests, but hey, it's something scientific-ish.

I also watched another video of an aircraft mechanic saying that all he and most of the people in the bay use are HF torque wrenches, because they need something that works, is easy to use, isn't super fancy, and has a low error rate.

If its good enough for an aircraft mechanic that's used it for most of his career with no issues, it's definitely good enough for whatever I want to use it for.

They have had several jackstand recalls though, and it probably has something to do with the quality control of wherever it's made.

I saw the torque wrench comparison video with the HF Icon vs the Snap On:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck_O5U1Tyz8

Seemed to fair well against the Snap On. I was looking at the Icon stuff today. Seems very nice. I usually buy old used tools from brands long forgotten, but that's not always possible, so looking at maybe going with the Icon range for the more modern stuff.

If the guys in aviation are using it, it speaks for the quality for sure.

I remember the HF made in China stuff not being as good as the HF made in Thailand stuff.
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gman » July 10th 2020, 9:34pm

ri$e*above wrote:
gman wrote:I read and watched videos that mentioned that their torque wrenches are quite great.

I saw the torque wrench comparison video with the HF Icon vs the Snap On:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck_O5U1Tyz8

Seemed to fair well against the Snap On. I was looking at the Icon stuff today. Seems very nice. I usually buy old used tools from brands long forgotten, but that's not always possible, so looking at maybe going with the Icon range for the more modern stuff.

If the guys in aviation are using it, it speaks for the quality for sure.

I remember the HF made in China stuff not being as good as the HF made in Thailand stuff.

They were actually using the $20 pittsburgh pro torque wrenches!
As far as Icon goes, I've read reviews (again, with real world professional use by a diesel mechanic) that said that their sockets are rather soft in comparison to other brands, but their ratchets and wrenches are excellent.

I used an icon 1/4" flex head, and I love it.
Instant engagement at every click, and butter smooth travel.
Can seriously feel the difference between it and cheapie ratchets that come in the "mechanics tool kit" sets.
Actually made my work much easier because of how the engagement was.
Felt better than the huskies that I messed around with as far as smoothness and engagement was concerned.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Alias (AKA):

Postby ri$e*above [OP] » July 10th 2020, 10:14pm

gman wrote:
They were actually using the $20 pittsburgh pro torque wrenches!
As far as Icon goes, I've read reviews (again, with real world professional use by a diesel mechanic) that said that their sockets are rather soft in comparison to other brands, but their ratchets and wrenches are excellent.

I used an icon 1/4" flex head, and I love it.
Instant engagement at every click, and butter smooth travel.
Can seriously feel the difference between it and cheapie ratchets that come in the "mechanics tool kit" sets.
Actually made my work much easier because of how the engagement was.
Felt better than the huskies that I messed around with as far as smoothness and engagement was concerned.

Yeah, their ratchets seem real nice. I'm going to pick up their new 3/8 compact torque wrench. Packs a 40 - 200 In. Lb. range. I think it's 90 tooth also. Not bad for $100!

I love my old wrenches...Plvmb/Proto, Indestro, Williams etc etc. But some of these new wrenches with the high tooth counts are nice.

Here's a funny video of a guy showing a Snap On tool truck his Icon ratchet and putting it head to head with a Snap-On:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grcpmj-v_nY

They end up breaking the Snap-On torque measurement display.
Original Poster [OP]
ri$e*above
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby gman » July 11th 2020, 7:07am

Yeah. Icon is marketed towards people that use their tools A LOT.
Like, everyday in very high-use situations, so most of is are probably never going to notice the difference between a "soft" socket and a "hard" one, and they're probably end game level tools as far as a homegamer goes.

But idk, maybe you wrench everyday on a variety of different cars so you might notice.
1999 Chevy Astro Van
gman
Alias (AKA):

Postby M_a_t_t » July 11th 2020, 8:20am

I use the impact sockets instead of the regular ones. I have had not issues and sometimes even surface rust on the bolt head makes it an extremely tight fit. Can't say I've ever felt the difference between a hard and soft socket to be able to comment on that. Pretty much all of my hand tools are from HF. Only time I've broken one is when I was tired of working on a car so I grabbed a wrench and used the floor jack on it.

I've got an older HF engine hoist. I bought it used and had to change the fluid in it. It stopped holding any weight shortly after using it the first time. I don't think you can buy this model anymore, but if you see a used one I would recommend.

I've had issues with the 3/8 torque wrenches. I might upgrade for an icon at some point. Low profile 3T floor jack, all the jack stands (3, 6, and 12 ton), motorcycle/ATV (I mostly use as a transmission) jack I've had no issues with. There was a recall on some of the 3 and 6 ton stands awhile back. HF Blast cabinet after you do the "standard" mods it works pretty well. My air compressor isn't big enough to keep up so I don't put it to a lot of work in one sitting. I've got a 20T HF press. Replaced some control arm bushings for the van and an extremely stuck u-joint. Thats about as much as I've used the press. The hydraulic unit is just a bottle jack and I've removed and used it a few times when someone was using my floor jack. Slide hammer set, used several times. A little pricey for buying for no reason/I could probably do the job without, but it would be easier and I get a new tool.

I don't recommend the HF compression tester. It works, but there is no valve in the tip of the hose and on smaller engines (like motorcycles) it doesn't allow a correct compression reading. It's not such a big deal on larger engines.

A lot of my stuff is HF. If I find the HF stuff doesn't work very well I return within 90 days and buy a better unit somewhere else. I figure if I need a new tool I'll be using it enough in the next 90 days to tell if its worth keeping.
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby Mmusicman » July 11th 2020, 1:29pm

I have a Harbor Freight just 2 miles from my house.
But it's definitely "hit and miss" with some of the products.

I rarely use my air tools, so the quality is good enough to last me a while.

I've bought numerous large items that were fine.
Ramps, trailer parts, straps, casters, engine stand, dial indicators, etc, etc
Too many things to recall...

I'm considering a new floor jack.
A friend has their steel jack he says works fine.

I almost broke a large "tap" (new from a set) trying to do accy holes on my heads.. it was really struggling.
I stopped, ran over to Ace Hardware and picked up the tap I needed... it cut though like butter.

No doubt Chinese steel is weak, cutting tools don't seem to cut it. (no pun intended) :D
I've never bought their socket sets.. but it's always tempting.

My last purchase included an $8 set of halogen fog lights... they actually work great! lol

I work professionally in radio and network communications, and most of the time I use my $4 free meter.. lol
I've got lots of great free flashlights too.

Ace Irwin 7/16" tap to the rescue!

IMG_0168-DrillTapHeads.jpg
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby WoodButcher » July 11th 2020, 3:32pm

WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Astrofarian » July 11th 2020, 3:38pm

We don't have HF here in Canada, but we DO have "Princess Auto", which offers a lot of the same/similar types of stuffs. The quality and availability of the Chinese and other Asian tools has really come a long way in the last 20-30 years...especially on hand tools. Not to say that there aren't times that something off of the tool truck is the only thing I would buy but there are a lot of things I've bought that I KNOW I may only use 3-4 times in my life...that's when the import stuff fills the bill. When I worked in the trade out of high school, everything I bought was purchased with an eye towards earning my paycheque with it for the rest of my life. Not so, now, so the cheaper stuff becomes an option I never would have considered at one point. There WAS also a certain "snobbery", shall we say, amongst some of the "Old Pros" I worked with as to not buying "Any of DAT junk!". Lots of guys, especially at dealerships, get caught up in the whole "keeping up with the Jones-es" mentality and the tool truck guys know this and exploit it every chance they get. Case in point, there are tool boxes/rollaways out there now that are bigger than my first apartment!
As I said, there ARE things I try not to buy from importers; Hammers being one of them. I bought 4 hammers off of the MAC truck between 1979 and 1981. All 4 of them still have their original handles and have never needed "re-wedging" or anything. But 3 others bought from importers all have had loose heads and or broken handles while seeing far less use over a much shorter time. Buy nice or buy twice, but there is definitely some "nice" imported stuff out there nowadays.
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby markmitch » July 11th 2020, 3:52pm

good point on the hammers, I bought a body work tool kit years ago from HF and there were 5 hammers. I still have three. the other two lost there heads lol.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » July 11th 2020, 4:23pm

I have a pneumatic over hydraulic jack that we got at HF years and years ago. It works really, really well (just ask Charlie!).

I also have the regular Earthquake impact and the Earthquake XT stubby impact wrenches. They're really good, never a single problem. The XT has a nice added feature where you have 3 speeds both forward and reverse.

My air compressor, however, is a Husky 60 gal. It's a great compressor. We've never had a single hiccup with it and it provides enough air for my husband to grind and sand and whatever he wants without running out of air.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby 90safari » July 12th 2020, 3:33am

Like most tools these day,they're hit and miss. Some are good, and some questionable. I have 1 of their cherry pickers, and used it to swap the engine in my van. I did have to add a piece of square tubing to get a little more length to reach back far enough though. Otherwise it worked fine. Same with their 750 lb engine stand, works just fine for a V6 or smaller. I do have a Pontiac 350 V8 on another one though, but just don't move very often. I bought one of their smaller sand blasters too (uses a 50 pound bag), and it's been working well enough that I've replaced the air valves in it from wear (got my 59 bucks out of it and then some). I still have a bunch of Craftsman sockets and wrench's, so I haven't bought any of those from them. I have bought a couple of die grinders and spray guns from them though. But then I go threw them regularly.
I guess it really depends on what you need, and how you use it more than anything. I've broken Snap on sockets and wrenches, same with Craftsman and Matco, and I've worn them out too. I'm not a mechanic, but rather a tinkerer and weekend shade tree guy, and I use my tools.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby MechBob » July 12th 2020, 1:49pm

Ah,I still have some older HF drill bits that would just unwind when drilling into metal,lol.But, their overall quality has vastly improved,over the years.Have heard good stuff about their Icon stuff.HF stuff is good for occasional use,and a lot of their stuff is exactly the same as sold by lots of other places.I do recommend looking for their smaller aluminum step stools,fold up,when they go on sale for 19 bucks. Very well built, and very handy,
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby opelbits » July 17th 2020, 12:44am

Mmusicman wrote:
I'm considering a new floor jack.
A friend has their steel jack he says works fine

[/attachment]

I have one of the 3ton aluminum jacks. I really like it....so does my back. I used it for the lower control arm swap I did on the old van. Obviously, more money, but I don't regret it.

One thing I look for in tools, especially at HF or other low cost outlets is the difference between the tools that somebody put some thought into when they selected it for their product line versus buying a truck load of something they got cheap just to throw into their 'sale' or to offer a bottom dollar option. Most places, including HF don't design/engineer the stuff they just buy from an existing vendor/producer. Usually, the extent of it is design a package with their name on it. If I've seen the exact same tool under three different brand names, I'll shy away.

I have a HF right angle diegrinder that works great. Bought one just like it for work and it didn't last a day. Bevel gears disengaged. Returned it and the new one doesn't build rpm, runs about one third speed at most. I'll probably take it apart to see if the vanes are sticking before returning it. Sometimes fixing a problem is better than getting a new, different problem.
opelbits
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: opelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full yearsopelbits has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):