Lost for words

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Lost for words

Postby Wokka [OP] » July 28th 2020, 8:33pm

Been trying to get in contact with a well known Astro lift kit company and haven't had emails or calls answered. No drama, emails get missed, calls from overseas are viewed with scepticism, so I dial through a service that gives me a US number. I get told point blank, "I wont deal with anyone over there, if you want it, get someone in the states to buy it, I don't want to be put on a no fly list"

A no fly list... where the hell is he flying in these times??

I deal with small, medium and large companies, from all over the world on a daily basis. Jesus, we even had the Pope visit here and give a mass.

I'm ranting, pi$$Ed I can't deal with the company I want to, but if the dude won't take my money, I'm sure others will
I hate pickles
Original Poster [OP]
Wokka
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Lost 3rd (D) gear, Ideas???
    by soutthpaw » June 29th 2020, 2:54am in Automatic
    2 Replies
    Last post by soutthpaw View the latest post
    June 29th 2020, 11:23pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    September 18th 2020, 2:22pm

Re: Lost for words

Postby augidog » July 28th 2020, 8:48pm

as far as my personal feelings go, I don't see a problem naming the company. maybe domestic customers would have an opinion about how they're treating you, and maybe they'll even call the company and say so.
Scanned original Chevrolet-GMC Dealer "Product Information Guides."
Detailed Options w/RPO's. Learn all about your Astro/Safari's first build.
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=142268
augidog
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Augie
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: AWD High-Top

Postby tungtide » July 28th 2020, 9:40pm

Be a good reporter. Who what when where why. Tell us. Who won’t take your money/business. Best luck with the lift.
Ken
tungtide
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby Wokka [OP] » July 28th 2020, 10:11pm

augidog wrote:as far as my personal feelings go, I don't see a problem naming the company. maybe domestic customers would have an opinion about how they're treating you, and maybe they'll even call the company and say so.

Well, I don't want to bad mouth the guy. He is either misinformed, or just unknowing on how the world works, that's just how it is. I'd like to be able to show him different, to show him the tens of thousands of US civilians currently residents in Dubai and UAE, and not just rich cats driving lambos, but blie collar boys working oil and gas, stage technicians, light and sound. Every sector of business.

But if you put 2 and 2 together, figuring its not only quality, but shipping that factors in with my choice of supplier, then it would have to be a lift that doesn't involve shipping rear leaf springs on the long journey across
I hate pickles
Original Poster [OP]
Wokka
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mmusicman » July 29th 2020, 12:07am

A LOT of companies don't ship overseas.
They obviously have their reasons.
Use a company that does.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby tonydobbs » July 29th 2020, 12:38am

Mmusicman wrote:A LOT of companies don't ship overseas.
Use a company that does.

To be fair, I don't think JOR has any third party distributors.
tonydobbs
Years of Membership: tonydobbs has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Tony
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: RWD

Postby Wokka [OP] » July 29th 2020, 4:03am

Mmusicman wrote:A LOT of companies don't ship overseas.
Use a company that does.

Yes, but shop and ship and other services are available, but to flat out refuse communication by either email or phone unless its with someone in the US?
I hate pickles
Original Poster [OP]
Wokka
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » July 31st 2020, 1:55am

I have had Paypal freeze my account (with a lot of $$$$$ in it) for selling to suspect individuals in countries not friendly with the US. I cannot control who buys my **** from an online store, who they are or how they pay. My account was frozen for a month till I could prove I wasn't aiding terrorism. If that happens to you ONE TIME it kinda makes you tell everyone else from that part of the world to F OFF.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Astrofarian » July 31st 2020, 3:27am

97cargocrawler wrote:I have had Paypal freeze my account (with a lot of $$$$$ in it) for selling to suspect individuals in countries not friendly with the US. I cannot control who buys my **** from an online store, who they are or how they pay. My account was frozen for a month till I could prove I wasn't aiding terrorism. If that happens to you ONE TIME it kinda makes you tell everyone else from that part of the world to F OFF.

Jack said it WAY more politely than I would have. Company I was working for had hundreds of thousands of dollars seized and put into limbo for over 6 months when The Ukraine and Russia froze trade relations with Canada....the very day the payments were transferred. Obviously, most all of that bs was way over MY pay grade but it changed the way that company viewed "Foreign Orders" ever since.
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Ironsides » July 31st 2020, 3:51am

These guys are all right and everyone has their reasons for believing so.
I worked for Fastenal for years, store management and set up several stores 2000-2013, they can buy anything up to $1M per P.O. as long as it's sold, they buy/sell and ship world wide. Get the manufacturer to build a kit, get the local branch to make a branch special stock, find out their mark-up and final cost to you with shipping, it'll be a lot no doubt -about twice as much, get them to place the order, it can happen. Business to business and face to face with people changes everything. Good luck.
Ironsides
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD Custom HD

Postby sixsix » July 31st 2020, 3:57am

97cargocrawler wrote: ... If that happens to you ONE TIME it kinda makes you tell everyone else from that part of the world to F OFF.

Boy o Boy... you got that!!

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “It is only a matter of time before armed citizens, waiting or not for the police, take things into their own hands, fire on the rioters for personal and property prot. & end up hunted like dogs.”

sixsix
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » July 31st 2020, 5:12am

What all are you looking to buy? Not sure who you wanted to purchase from, did you try these guys? https://www.overlandvans.com/0104_suspension.html If you are just buying some hangers, shipping probably won't kill you, but if you are wanting to ship leaf springs that is a whole other story.

If you are still running into a problem getting the parts sent to you, and:
1. you are willing to pay all the costs up front
2. aren't in a super duper hurry(I travel)
3. take all responsibility once they are shipped
then feel free to send me a PM and we will work something out.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Wokka [OP] » July 31st 2020, 6:48am

Like I said, I'm not bad mouthing the guy, maybe he got burnt before. I've been operating in the events field for 25 years, 12 of those in the middle east, and have been to many places that wouldn't be considered safe any more (some of them we had to travel with armed security)
I have dealt with payments from and to just about every country in MENA and the eastern block, and its just the nature of business.
Emailing someone, from anywhere in the world and talking about your business will not get you on a no fly list. Having an online store with PayPal will open you to purchases from any country that is PayPal approved.
Surely someone pretending to be from the states, using a newly created email account, ducking and weaving to route the goods from the US to the duh duh daaah Middle East would raise many more suspicions....

Cheers Astrowill, I have a route through a real person that lives in Texas who laughed his *** off when i told him why and muttered something bout "Zonies" but if it falls flat, I'll give you a shout
I hate pickles
Original Poster [OP]
Wokka
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Ironsides » July 31st 2020, 1:17pm

I had no idea Fastenal has no presence in the UAE or anywhere in the Middle East, sorry.
Glad you got a friend in the states that can arrange your purchases.
Depending on the parts you'd like, between your experience and all the information on this site, you should be able to get your parts fabricated over there for less than shipping fees and you'd save a lot of time too.
Ironsides
Years of Membership: Ironsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full yearsIronsides has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD Custom HD

Postby Wokka [OP] » August 4th 2020, 8:08pm

Cheers ironsides,
Its mainly the 4x4 selector and rear spring hangers I am after, it just saves me a lot of faffing about, astros never made it here otger than grey imports, so parts are pretty rare
I hate pickles
Original Poster [OP]
Wokka
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):