Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Rambling man van build.

4K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
This thread is about my recently purchased a 2005 AWD Safari and it's conversion to a camper of some sort. Definitely not worthy of a build thread due to my lack in documenting my progress in any reasonable semblance of one.

Soooooo.....instead I'll just post up some pics with a few comments about things I'm doing/done..or at the least attempting to do. I perused a few other build thread here and stole some ideas, but I'm just shooting from the hip on most things.

My goals were to have a setup done by fall for an extensive road trip, mainly to visit family in FL and CA. I want everything to be semi-permanent and to cover all the basics but without needing to make adjustments for different tasks.

Like I mentioned, I won't be going into much detail about things I've done, but certainly will answer any questions if anyone has them. I figure posting it in this section will give me a little more freedom than keeping things to a strict build thread. More of a Rambling man van build..

Without further ado...Dickie Bretts IMO in one the of the greatest guitar performance of all time...and most likely under the heavy influence of cocaine. Pics of some of my actual build to follow.. :cool:

See less See more
#3 ·
I decided to see how much "conversion" work I could do without drilling any extra holes into the van. To date I haven't made any.

A lot of the pics aren't in chronological order..but some are the only ones I have showing what I did. Here's some pics of the bed framing and sink/counter framing. Counter top is a HD 4 ft prefab. Cut the back splash off and scribed the slab. I had no idea when started doing this the van walls curved toward the back. Reattached the backsplash(had to scribe that too.)

IMG_2430.JPG

IMG_2443.JPG

IMG_2479.JPG

Sink is one of those vanity top mounted sinks I recessed into the counter.

IMG_2482.JPG

#5 ·
Nice job. It is always interesting to see how others attack such projects, and what their priorities may be.

Most, who attempt their first modifications (including myself), soon find out the roof has quite a hump in it, and the sides bulge in the middle. Measuring things an be a bit of a challenge. I finally did a chalk line down the middle of the floor, then used a permanent marker to make it 'permanent'.
Did you move the rear heater core forward, or is that the original location. I have actually never seen one, but I know on the vans that had rear A/C, the A/C was located in the back rear corner. I assumed the rear heater core would have been in the same location, in the far back corner.
That bed looks very sturdy, and the oak piece under the sink is an interesting choice of wood for that spot. I suspect you just happened to have that handy, rather than buying it for that purpose?
Did you notice a significant improvement with the sound deadening mat installed?
I just finished fixing a small, but persistent and very frustrating, water leak around the tip-out side window, so I have all the interior trim out. I decided while it is in that state, I it is time for modifying my back space. I just ordered a similar noise reduction product.
I am not concerned bout drilling holes. If the original trim panels go back in. all the new holes will be covered. I use NutCerts (0ne style of threaded inserts) that go in like Pop Rivets. That way, everything mounts to threaded spots and should stay tight.
Rod J

#6 ·
sixsix said:
Nice Build - wood always smells so good - and if you need a campfire...

copperhead said:
Without further ado...Dickie Bretts IMO in one the of the greatest guitar performance of all time
Never heard of him or do mean the baseball dude... could really care less 'bout him.
Thanks..Dang..I must be really old. Allman Brothers? Dickie Betts? Oh well, time marches on. :character-smurfgrandpa:

#7 ·
Rod's Trucks said:
Nice job. It is always interesting to see how others attack such projects, and what their priorities may be.

Most, who attempt their first modifications (including myself), soon find out the roof has quite a hump in it, and the sides bulge in the middle. Measuring things an be a bit of a challenge. I finally did a chalk line down the middle of the floor, then used a permanent marker to make it 'permanent'.
Did you move the rear heater core forward, or is that the original location. I have actually never seen one, but I know on the vans that had rear A/C, the A/C was located in the back rear corner. I assumed the rear heater core would have been in the same location, in the far back corner.
That bed looks very sturdy, and the oak piece under the sink is an interesting choice of wood for that spot. I suspect you just happened to have that handy, rather than buying it for that purpose?
Did you notice a significant improvement with the sound deadening mat installed?
I just finished fixing a small, but persistent and very frustrating, water leak around the tip-out side window, so I have all the interior trim out. I decided while it is in that state, I it is time for modifying my back space. I just ordered a similar noise reduction product.
I am not concerned bout drilling holes. If the original trim panels go back in. all the new holes will be covered. I use NutCerts (0ne style of threaded inserts) that go in like Pop Rivets. That way, everything mounts to threaded spots and should stay tight.
Rod J
Thanks. I was kind of paralyzed by looking at all the build threads and trying to decide how to do things. So I picked the most important issue for me(fridge under sleeping area) and went from there. The shape of the interior was definately an unexpected surprise. Because I just set the plywood floor parallel up against the wheel wheel I used it's edges to measure off of.

I did leave the rear ac and heater in place for now. Yes, ac is in drivers rear corner and rear heater is not far behind the drivers seat on same side.

The wood is actually ash..and yes I had a beautiful futon frame I bought years ago. Figured I wouldn't get crap trying to sell it so decided to dismantle it and use in my build. It's providing almost all my building material. I also have collected lot of fasteners and other parts over the years that I try to incorporate/adapt in the process.

Sound mat does seem to provide some sound reduction. Definitely noticed a difference in the wheel wells. Only did the door panels and main body panels for now, but did add pieces to serve as a cushion barrier on mounted wood. Used Kilmat brand. For the price and results I'm satisfied.

Those NutCerts look interesting. I really don't have any issue with drilling holes, but it just seemed like I could find enough already there and use them. The seat belt attachment locations provide insanely strong attachment points. I worked in the construction field over 20 years, so I'm pretty confident on any of my "framing" being more than strong enough for it's needs.

#9 ·
]Some more pics...As I mentioned I'm doing all this on the fly. I gave up on templates and such and just winging it..for better or worse. :lol: My mixture of speed, functionality and looks doesn't necessarily make for a good cocktail. But it is what it is...and everything I've done could be removed in a couple of hrs max if I decide to change horses in the future. My ex-boss would never approve of my butt joints..but he's not around to be complain.

Shelving, bed/mattress, toilet. Curtains still in design stage, but happy with my rod attachment points. Rear portion of headliner replaced with luan for now, needed to run solar panel wires and maybe a fan if time allows. 4ft piece down the middle to give access to attachment points on the sides. will deal with covering those areas later. Again, used only existing holes and threaded points on the van

IMG_2550.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2571.JPG

[attachment=0]IMG_2508.JPG[/attachment

Attachments

#11 ·
Even with a basic understanding of electricity, was expecting the wiring to be a PITA. Actually probably been the easiest part of this whole thing. Renogy 100 Watt panel, 100ah battery, 140 amp smart battery isolator, charge control, circuit breaker, 6 terminal fuse box. would have picked another controller.

why they make this thing with such small terminal connections is beyond me. Ran 4 awg wire from isolator to battery under van and up through rear seat belt bolt hole. Ran 6 awg from battery , up and across the front edge of plywood floor behind the seats, back down between side of plywood and slider floor trim and back up to fuse panel. 6 awg wire on battery and fuse panel grounds to corresponding wheel well tabs on each side. Controller will be mounted behind front seat near floor so i can take a quick look when entering/exiting. Refrigerator is wired direct to battery with inline fuse.

IMG_2589.JPG

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2584.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2581.JPG

#12 ·
copperhead said:
why they make this thing with such small terminal connections is beyond me. Ran 4 awg wire from isolator to battery under van and up through rear seat belt bolt hole. Ran 6 awg from battery , up and across the front edge of plywood floor behind the seats, back down between side of plywood and slider floor trim and back up to fuse panel. 6 awg wire on battery and fuse panel grounds to corresponding wheel well tabs on each side. Controller will be mounted behind front seat near floor so i can take a quick look when entering/exiting. Refrigerator is wired direct to battery with inline fuse.
The terminals are probably small because those chargers are usually limited to 5/10/15/20amp capacities depending on the model. Even with a 20amp version, a short run to the battery could get away with a relatively small wire like 10awg.

#14 ·
copperhead said:
This thread is about my recently purchased a 2005 AWD Safari and it's conversion to a camper of some sort. Definitely not worthy of a build thread due to my lack in documenting my progress in any reasonable semblance of one.

Soooooo.....instead I'll just post up some pics with a few comments about things I'm doing/done..or at the least attempting to do. I perused a few other build thread here and stole some ideas, but I'm just shooting from the hip on most things.
Even that is enough for a 'build thread', I will gladly move it to that section if you would like.

#15 ·
WoodButcher said:
:rofl: butt joints,,,
key word is "ex" boss.

Too many of guys in the trade don't know when a miter, scarf, half lap, dado or homegrown just ain't worth it. Looks like an awesome build you have going on and decent work too. Enjoy it!
lol..actually a rare chronic illness derailed my carpentry career....but my ex-boss(we're also good friends) definitely wouldn't have tolerated such "craftsmanship". AAMOF I actually stopped by his house yesterday to show him my progress. Made a point to point out the joints just to irritate him. :lol:

Anyhow so more pictures. Plumbing work is finished except for securing the tubing/wiring. Ran an extra feed to the rear for future shower/whatever hookup. Added the accumulator tank to eliminate the rapid cycling when running faucet at a trickle..well worth it IMO. Valve on floor serves to be able to discretely drain grey water tank.

IMG_2602 (1).JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

IMG_2603.JPG

Also added some pics of my homemade latrine. I had bought one of those go-toilets but for what it cost and IMO the lack of comfort, I figured I could do better. Made it accept those bags they sell to fit them. Plus didn't need the portability, mine will remain in van. did take a few measurements before I returned it. :cool: An advantage of being short, I can sit totally upright on it. Going to paint it up and enclose the lower portion eventually.

[ATTACH type="full" alt="IMG_2543.JPG[/attachment
[attachment=2]IMG_2542.JPG"]3[/ATTACH]
IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

Attachments

#17 ·

Threw myself for a real loop today. After saying I used the location of my fridge as the starting point to dictate my build. Things changed.. :shock: My fridge has now been relocated to the back of the van and no longer under my bed..and just to mix things up even more, my grey water tank has also been relocated and while using the same drain line will now function by siphoning. Fortunately, the moves didn't require any structural changes.

Tony D'Amato said life and football are games of inches. If he ever converted a Safari/Astro, he might have included that as well. I've been lucky, without much foresight, I've managed to make a few fairly major on the fly changes without much disruption in my overall plans. But an inch here or an inch there could have resulted in very different results. Not willing to press my luck any further, I'm now "living" with quick mock ups for a few days to see if I really want them permanent. trying to gain some extra space here.
IMG_2620.JPG

On the positive side, both changes are for the better and actually free up more storage space than my original plans. Plus the fridge is now accessible without needing to move it and I can get into it from the outside by just raising the hatch window..
IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2619.JPG

Couple of things that may be of interest.

Refrigerator is an Aspenora 37-Quart freezer or fridge. Got the online coupon for about 280 Been running it for weeks now quite happy.

Mattress foam is sold by Foamrush around 120. Due to the boat shaped structure of the van, i needed it cut to make it fit the contour and to satisfy my OCD. A skill saw and a strip of luan for the saw to ride on made for a quick and easy trim. They wanted another 100 for a cover. I found a corresponding sized sleeping bag (see previous pic) for 35 bucks and only need to sew a flap to close one end.

#18 ·
Addressed another want/need today, Was originally going to just stuff some bins under the bed for now and call it a day. But noooooooooooooo. I had to go makes things hard for myself and figure how to adapt some storage bins into drawers and make everything look like some normal person had planned it all out to begin with.

Figured modularizing it..I think that's a word..it would make for easier installation. It kind of did, took a few adjustments and redos to get it all together. The old 'boat" contours came into play again due to the small tolerances I had to deal with. again, I was fighting the tape measure more than anything else.

Anyway I guess it came out alright. Still need to tweak some of the slides, make up some drawer fronts and add some brackets to hold it in place. The bins (approx. 19x15x7) are suppose to be water proof, which I think will keep keep moisture out, but really based my purchase on what I thought I could cram into the space. Here's my days work and one of my favorite retro tunes..and sort of appropriate given the shape of these things..sort of. :roll: And no, I didn't shoot out the chevy van window. :cool:

Attachments

#21 ·
AstroWill said:
Are the slides angled down a little in the back so they stay closed or self close?
No, although that would have been my preference. With the limited space and size of the bins I bought, I literally didn't have even a 1/4 in. to spare to still allow for the covers to come on and off. If I didn't use the covers, I probably would have been able to do so. I'll try magnets to keep them closed or if that doesn't work, latches.

#22 ·
Back with a minor update. Been spending the past few days refining some stuff and organizing wires and such, Got the drawer fronts done, but forgot to take a picture..will do for a later post. Only major addition is the propane stove. I figure some will start freaking out about the setup, but I've got more to do with installing a fan, plenum and vent work. I'm not going to do anything that I feel won't be safe, so if you don't like it, too bad. :mrgreen:

Went round and round with this. Set 2 stoves back, debated a recessed one, and then settled with this setup for now anyway. If I feel I need to remove the upper shelf I will, but I'm not planning on boiling a pot of lobsters, so I think I've got plenty of clearance for a frying pan and small pot. Added some feet to the stove and thru bolted it into the counter with wingnuts to hold it.

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2639.JPG

Going to hold off on the diesel heater for now, but next is a water heating element to warm up my sink and aux water line. This is interesting...bought another 100 ah battery for more storage. Was delivered yesterday. Had an issue with it(slight bulging on the sides). Not sure if its a problem or not. battery voltage reads fine. I bitched about to Amazon and they offered me to either...return for a refund, take a 30% refund of the price or receive a replacement. I said I wanted a replacement and asked if they'd take the other one when they dropped the new off, cuz I'm not paying to ship the thing back. She said no, they will not take it back and I'm free to do what I want with it.. :shrug: I'll find room for it somewhere.

And to stay with today's theme..going waaaaay back

#23 ·
Dang..who am I and what am I doing here? some of you old farts might get that.. Finally back to posting some updates I've done. Got lost in life for a few weeks there. More changes and rabbit holes. Moved my stove to a different place and to free up counter space.
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2764.JPG
IMG_2768.JPG

Wrestling with the window treatments. Not looking for total blackout just some privacy. Ended up with mini blinds on the drivers side, rear fixed is same as operational window, just didn't take a picture. Still need to address the rear and slider window. Wooden side pieces I soaked and bent to force the blind to contour somewhat with the glass. Blinds tuck up and out of sight behind the wood valance I ran along that side. Spent way to much time and not really satisfied with the end result, but need to move on.
IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2752.JPG

IMG_2751.JPG

Never have put back the front console since I first removed it to do a tune up....and don't intend to. Weighing the little benefit it provides against the room it eats up, it's gone. Was planning on getting a regular cooler to compliment my fridge, so I'll rig that into a moveable center console and still have easy rear access. Built a quick "cover" for the lower part of the dash and will probably cover the doghouse with carpeting, or make up a wood panel that hugs it close up.

IMG_2754.JPG

That's all I got, unless you want to know about my MRI... :roll: Apologies again for dropping the ball. As I said ..

#24 ·
yeah, well... I am especially taken w/ Whammer Jammer

J. Geils Band @ Holy Cross, Nov.1972, if you can take it, turn it all the way up.
This 'best live' band will wear you out - and I was not even there. Like the Bowie 'Serious Moonlight' TV special, best I ever saw, live or not...
( and we went to The Who and Zeppelin shows here in Cinti )
Wolf singing, Magic Dick on harp, Seth ( their writer ) on keys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.