Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Power Steering Pump Shaft Seal - Worth Trying to Replace?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AstroWill 
#1 ·
I have isolated my psteering oil leak to the shaft seal. My van has about 119k miles. Is it worth it to replace this seal rather than buy a new or reman pump? I searched the forum and plenty of threads about replacing pumps but not much about the shaft seal. A new seal is 10's of $ while an entire pump is 100's. I already have a pulley puller.
Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 ·
I rebuilt mine like 6 years ago with a seal kit from Amazon. Pulling the pulley was a real pita; much more so was putting it back on after the fact, it never really go in all the way 100%. For the next 5 years I had a leak. Finally I went to the P&P and pulled the whole assembly out of a pristine 2005.

Just something to consider.

#3 ·
I hear that, a few $s for a set of seals or ~$100 for a reman w/reservoir, ~$150 for a new pump.

If your pump is not damaged and the reservoir is in good shape. I would probably replace the seal. Not a lot of extra work and quite a bit of savings to be had. Just make sure to fill and bleed properly on install regardless of which route you choose.

#4 ·
Here's a shot of my PSpump shaft seal before I pried it off:
20210502_134601.jpg

And after removal I saw that there was a definite groove already worn into the shaft surface by the seal lip.
20210502_153245A.jpg

So I ordered a new pump - should have it re-installed this weekend and then only time will tell if it holds up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.