Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What van should I buy?

618 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Mmusicman 
#1 ·
Hello all! This website has been beyond helpful, and i really appreciate any input.

I am looking to buy an astro van to convert to a camper and live in full time for a little while. I've been looking for a little bit of time now. I am prioritizing off road capability. I am only looking at AWD models. I am finding quite a few lower mileage (but not too low) vans that are awd, but that opens up a lot of questions.

Is there specific models and years of the AWDs that i should be looking for? Or avoiding? I have realized there is a lot of different specifications regarding the gears, suspension components, and VIN numbers.

Also, if i buy an AWD astro with stock everything, and then throw a 3-5 inch lift on it with bigger off road wheels and tires, what am i going to have to change suspension wise? I want it to feel safe and ride well of course, as its essentially my home. That's my biggest question, but i think it ties into the specific VIN number astros.

Can i just buy an AWD astro, lift it, and then tighten up suspension components? What's the safest / best way to do this?

All input is greatly appreciated as you guys know your stuff haha! Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
OK so if you buy an AWD this is what you should know: the only year I was say to avoid is the 95 and only because its an intermediate year which means it has some 1st gen parts and some second gen parts which makes it a little hard to figure out what parts you need. Also from 92 to 98 they used a true AWD transfer after 98 they went to what is know as only AWD when actually needed so if you plan on off roading at all this second transfer (98 to 20005) is not the better choice. But if you plan on a 4x4 transfer case swap then this is easier to swap with less parts needed. As for the lift read here https://www.astrosafari.com/viewforum.php?f=40
and for the transfer here: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=136058

#4 ·
Robertlong said:
Is there specific models and years of the AWDs that i should be looking for? Or avoiding? I have realized there is a lot of different specifications regarding the gears, suspension components, and VIN numbers.

Also, if i buy an AWD astro with stock everything, and then throw a 3-5 inch lift on it with bigger off road wheels and tires, what am i going to have to change suspension wise? I want it to feel safe and ride well of course, as its essentially my home. That's my biggest question, but i think it ties into the specific VIN number astros.

Can i just buy an AWD astro, lift it, and then tighten up suspension components? What's the safest / best way to do this?

All input is greatly appreciated as you guys know your stuff haha! Thanks
Because I hate dealing with rust, that is one of the most important things for me. I want rust free if possible. I have a list of the biggest changes over the years here: https://sites.google.com/site/astrosafa ... enerations Take a look and decide what is important for you.
Both AWD systems work well and that wouldn't influence my buying decision much. If you buy a part time AWD and want full time AWD you can swap it out if you so choose. 4wd transfer cases are an option as well, but if you travel in snow a lot, highly recommend keeping AWD.
Look at the stickies in the lifted suspension section, it's quite easy to do a body/rear suspension lift with a couple of different ways to deal with the simple changes that need to be made.

#5 ·
* Lifting AWD is fairly easy... body lift front, suspension lift rear.
* Max recommended tire size (with appropriate lift) is 29-30"
* AWD is preferred for snow (since it works automatically)
* Manual 4x4 is an easy conversion on 99-up (if 4-Low is needed)

Just a note:
RWD will go plenty of places off-road (within reason) and requires far less maintenance and expense, and has less parts to break. The AWD system is a complex fully integrated system that will most likely require extra care. None the less, the AWD is the BEST Astro has to offer.

Reactions: tstarise
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.