Suggestions for removing gas tank, please!

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Suggestions for removing gas tank, please!

Postby aliciatownshend [OP] » April 21st 2012, 3:19pm

I have a 2000 Astro van which stopped running while I was driving last Friday night. I left the movie theater, drove about halfway home, and after my traffic light changed, I turned the corner and had to coast to a stop. Was able to re-start the van while I was waiting for my tow to arrive; unfortunately, the van only ran for 30 secs. or so before dying again. The next morning at home I tried to start my van, it idled for a moment and then died. Since then, haven't been able to make the engine catch. When I turn the key forward there is a clicking that goes on for a few seconds; it clicks on/off anywhere from two to six times. Thought it was a bad relay, but after checking the fuses under the hood and inside on the driver's side of the van, I'm not so sure--they are all good. My father thinks it's the fuel pump, but because they are so expensive, he wants to check to be sure. We've now hit a dead end with siphoning the gas out. There is apparently an anti-theft feature employed, as we cannot force our siphon hose into the tank. The tank is 3/4 of the way full. Originally, my dad didn't want to remove the gas tank while it had so much fuel inside, but after unsuccessful siphoning attempts, he thought he'd try it anyway. Now, at this point, we can't figure out how to remove the gas tank from under the van.
A few extra notes (hopefully these help):
-I've been very regular about maintenance and have never let the fuel gauge drop below 1/2 tank. I was told once that driving around 1/4 tank or below can ruin a fuel pump quickly.
-Up until Friday night, I wasn't having any trouble with my van. It's a daily driver that makes a 60-mile round trip to work 5 days out of the week, and I often take it to the beach (100-mile round trip) on the weekends.
-I drive most frequently on main streets and side roads because the highways around my house are slow and congested during rush hour.
-Recently had the throttle position sensor replaced; and 6 months ago, had my 200K mile tune-up done.
-After turning the corner the night it died, I tried to accelerate since I'd been at a complete stop, and the van didn't sputter, choke, or anything else. It just seemed to not get any more gas, so I pulled over and coasted to a stop.

Lastly, I hope this is in the right category, I didn't see one specifically for fuel issues, and I'm not exactly a mechanical genius. If it's in the wrong spot, just let me know--I'll be glad to place my question in the right category.

Thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
aliciatownshend
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: aliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: ABS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • new 235/75R15's - Tire pressure suggestions?
    by Rod's Trucks » November 14th 2020, 2:57am in Wheels/Tires
    16 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 18th 2020, 4:17am
  • Removing back trim panels
    by mutable » August 11th 2020, 11:53pm in Interior
    5 Replies
    Last post by dchan51360 View the latest post
    August 12th 2020, 2:17am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 10:05pm

Re: Suggestions for removing gas tank, please!

Postby RECox286 » April 22nd 2012, 12:19am

In your post, you say you hear a clicking when you go to start the engine. Does that mean the starter is not cranking the engine ?

You are wise to first find out what the trouble is. If the starter is not cranking the engine, then you may be having other than

fuel pump issues. Like the Alternator is not charging the battery, or the battery is not taking/holding a charge.

If everything seems OK with the starting system, and the engine cranks, try a bit of starting fluid down the engine intake to see if

the engine runs. Next big thing is to have the fuel pump checked out by getting a pressure test. You may want to have a

mechanic run this test, rather than getting involved yourself, unless you are not afraid to get under the hood, and have access

or want to purchase the equipment. A pressure tester can be had at Harbor Freight, or any LAPS (local auto parts store).

Dropping the tank with that much fuel is definitely not a DIY project, unless you happen to have 2 floor jacks. 20 gal of

gas is around 140 # give or take, and if dropped would be awkward at least, and dangerous at best. Usually there are fuel lines

that have to be disconnected before letting the tank down fully on to the ground. That could present a problem for you.

Not saying that it is not a doable DIY project, but it really may be a hard one to cut your teeth on. Some of our group have located

and cut out some of the floor panel to gain access to the fuel pump without having to drop the tank, but that is dangerous too, because

of the possibility of damaging plumbing or the tank itself. Let us know what the outcome of the pressure test is, and we will go from

there. If you are intent on draining the tank, then you may want to remove the first piece of filler pipe (the piece that the cap attaches

to) and then insert a hose directly into the tank. Get a self starting siphon, rather than sucking on a plain hose and getting a mouthful

of fuel. Yuck !

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby aliciatownshend [OP] » April 22nd 2012, 1:53am

Sorry, I should have clarified before. Starting system is fine, I hear the clicking before fully turning the key to try and engage the engine. I'll have to wait until Monday to purchase a pressure tester, but will update as I muddle through this. What sort of tools would I use to remove the filler pipe? I don't think I have anything that quite fits for the job.
Original Poster [OP]
aliciatownshend
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: aliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full yearsaliciatownshend has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: ABS AWD

Postby chevymaher » April 22nd 2012, 1:59am

It a rubber hose with 2 hose clamps on it. Accessed from under the van.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby RECox286 » April 22nd 2012, 4:37am

You should be able to take the clamps off with a 5/16" nut driver, socket or wrench. You will also need a 1/2" socket for the bolt that holds the

filler pipe to the frame, as well as a (IIRC) 15 torx driver for the screws holding the filler door, spacer and fill pipe.

Good hunting

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Lumpy » April 22nd 2012, 3:40pm

You don't have to BUY a fuel pressure tester. Nearly all auto parts stores will LOAN you the device. You pay a deposit (the purchase price) then return it and they refund your money. I wouldn't trust the gauges from Freight by the Bay.

Replace the fuel FILTER. Only costs a few dollars. It's vital to replace that if you're replacing the pump, or if you're suspecting any kind of fuel delivery problem.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Jasen » April 22nd 2012, 10:15pm

What gives Lumpy. I expected your post to say, changed oil, PS fluid, brake fluid, tranz fluid, Dexcool, R134 and interferon modulator fluid :shrug:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Lumpy » April 23rd 2012, 3:18pm

Jasen wrote:
What gives Lumpy. I expected your post to say, changed oil, PS fluid, brake fluid, tranz fluid, Dexcool, R134 and interferon modulator fluid :shrug:

I use Dexferon. It's good for six hundred and eleventy seven thousand miles.

I'm changing the fluid in my soldering iron today.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby windowlesswonder » May 16th 2012, 6:55pm

Lumpy wrote:You don't have to BUY a fuel pressure tester. Nearly all auto parts stores will LOAN you the device. You pay a deposit (the purchase price) then return it and they refund your money. I wouldn't trust the gauges from Freight by the Bay.

Replace the fuel FILTER. Only costs a few dollars. It's vital to replace that if you're replacing the pump, or if you're suspecting any kind of fuel delivery problem.

Lump

Learned this one the hard way for sure...
Once I Loved Lumina Vans - Now I Don't - Astronomical!
windowlesswonder
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: windowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full yearswindowlesswonder has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA): W.W.
Extra Info: Converted Deisel