Astro - 275k miles - Maintenance ?'s

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Astro - 275k miles - Maintenance ?'s

Postby AstroTuff [OP] » April 14th 2012, 5:55am

I'm not sure if this is where this type of post belongs, but I didn't want to create the same post in three different categories on this forum(engine, suspension, transmission). So here I go.

My dad has a 2000 Astro Van LT V6 RWD with 275k miles, my dad is wondering if he should be doing something, if anything, as far as preventative maintenance. The miles are really starting to get up there and he's starting to get worried about something happening that might be preventable.

This van has been a beast, and just keeps going without any problems. My dad takes real good care of it and keeps up with the usual maintenance.

Here is the maintenance records that has been done to the van other than brakes, tires, battery, trans fluid, and oil changes. Basic maintenance.

Fuel pump has been replaced 3 times

Oil Pressure Sensor

Speed Sensor

Distributor Cap

Alternator

Shocks just replaced for first time

Plugs 2 times

Thats it! So is there anything with the front end of the vehicle that needs to be looked at? There is a dead spot in the steering. Differential fluid? Anything special that needs to be done with the trans?

The van drives great, only thing is a slight vibration around 65mph, we're thinking its the drive-shaft. My dad doesn't care too much cause he only does 60mph on the freeway anyways.

Has been maintenance free and my dad couldn't be happier with the reliability, the ease of driving, and the cargo space.

Thank you,
Sammy
Original Poster [OP]
AstroTuff
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: AstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA): Sam
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT V6 RWD - 350k Mi

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Change fuel pump as preventative maintenance?
    by Joshtjeerdsma » January 11th 2021, 12:35am in Uncategorized
    6 Replies
    Last post by WinnieVan View the latest post
    January 13th 2021, 9:14am
  • Preventative Maintenance
    by tstol » February 14th 2021, 2:10am in Uncategorized
    7 Replies
    Last post by SheldonYoung View the latest post
    February 28th 2021, 6:08pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 7th 2021, 3:42pm

Re: Astro - 275k miles - Maintenance ?'s

Postby Jasen » April 14th 2012, 7:45am

Welcome to A/S
Once they get that much time on the clock just keep up the good maintenance and keep an eye and ear on it. You could replace all kinds of things, but that's just throwing money at it, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Might think about adding some Lucas, Duralube, Royal purple to help keep those old parts as friction free was possible. Look into the vibration, could be sign of something wearing out like a U joint or could just be a tire balance thing.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby chevymaher » April 14th 2012, 12:14pm

Welcome to forum.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Lumpy » April 15th 2012, 1:46pm

That many miles and some front end shake -
Idler arms
tie rods
sway bar bushings and end links
drag link
Ball joints
all the steering arms and gizmos with a joint.

Then there's -
U joints
Trans filter
Trans juice
Rear end fluid
Radiator flush
Thermostat
Water hoses replace
Serp belt

On the engine -
Idle Air Controller
EGR valve
MAP/MAF whatever you have
PCV valve
Vacuum hoses
Injector cleaner
Manifold Mounted Cup Holder

You could look up the recommended maint schedule but the mileage probably doesn't go that high.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroTuff [OP] » April 19th 2012, 5:10pm

Thank you for the replies. I guess just stick with the notion; if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Yeah we were thinking the vibration was a u joint or that the drive shaft had to be balanced. The vibration comes from the rear.

We're using castrol high mileage oil for the engine, switching to Royal Purple would be a better decision with this many miles?

The van steers straight, could the 1 inch dead spot just be the steering box?

The serpentine belt we should probably do.

Thank you,
Sammy
Original Poster [OP]
AstroTuff
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: AstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full yearsAstroTuff has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Lumpy » April 19th 2012, 5:32pm

AstroTuff wrote:
Thank you for the replies. I guess just stick with the notion; if it aint broke, don't fix it.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another way to look at it is "It's probably time for this part to have lived it's expected lifespan. I'd rather replace it here, in the comfort and safety of my driveway than on the side of the road in the dark or have it fail when I'm on the way to something important like the lap dance fest"

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Thunderball » April 21st 2012, 12:54am

I'm not far behind you....238.000. I just keep at it, normal maintenance, oil changes (I use Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30), and just don't let the repairs get the best of you. Parts for these vans are relatively cheap and easy to replace. For example, I just did my rear brakes...they got a complete overhaul, shoes, cylinders, hardware, etc. Just did my idler arms...put on Moog's Problem Solvers. Keep ahead of the repairs and it'll treat you well. Mine runs like a champ.

Don't skimp on parts, use good oil, keep an eye on the trans fluid, etc. and you should hit 375k!

I wonder who on here has the most miles????
_________________________________________________________________________________
2001 Astro LS - 4.3L V-6 - RWD - 260,000 miles
Thunderball
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Thunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full yearsThunderball has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby RECox286 » April 22nd 2012, 12:30am

Uncle Bob's DD work truck shows 317k mi. Mostly all original drive train (tranny rebuilt once). Can't say how many TBA's

brake jobs, front end suspension/steering parts, shocks, winshields, etc... Oh, and the paint is, well, there is some left !

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby AstroTuff [OP] » April 24th 2012, 5:47pm

Ok sweet. Just keep up with maintenance and don't cheap out on cheaper stuff.

Yeah my dad's van is in excellent condition, not a single scratch anywhere. Has had seat covers front to rear since new so all the leather seats still look new. Basically 99% of the van is still running on the original parts from the showroom floor. Its funny cause we haven't replaced the water pump on this thing yet, I don't recall water pumps lasting this long.

These vans are awesome, lacking power but thats not what they were intended for.
Original Poster [OP]
AstroTuff
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)