weird measurement for pre-95 van owners

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

weird measurement for pre-95 van owners

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 20th 2012, 7:36am

Hey, I'm looking for an odd measurement. I want to know how far the distributor is away from the back of the dog house. Preferably measuring from the shaft, not the cap as the V8s use a different cap on them than the 6es. While I'd prefer anything pre-95 if you've got the 1990 and earlier that's even better as they changed the dog house slightly so I'm not sure if the opening shape is different. I am 99% sure that the engine is repositioned in the later vans however so that's why I'm bringing it up.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • quick rad pre-install question....
    by majikman » August 15th 2020, 3:44pm in Engines
    3 Replies
    Last post by Big_kid View the latest post
    August 16th 2020, 2:09pm
  • Weird Electrical Quirks
    by rstro » June 14th 2020, 11:41pm in Electrical
    2 Replies
    Last post by rstro View the latest post
    June 15th 2020, 12:48am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 29th 2020, 9:29pm

Re: weird measurement for pre-95 van owners

Postby chevymaher » May 20th 2012, 9:05am

It may be earlier than 90 for the doghouse change. My 90 and my 94 doghouses were identical. Same dash, instrument cluster interchanged but was different. Engine was positioned the same also.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Phantom » May 20th 2012, 12:50pm

, if it is critical to get accurate measure , for $20 you can get a doghouse from a salvage yard and cut an opening for measurement ,
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 20th 2012, 5:44pm

The thing is that I need the measurement not of the dog house its self but of the distributor to the dog house. If the transmission's angle is right on my swap, the distance from the distributor to the doghouse edge should be the same. This gives me a way to figure out if I am in the ball park on this swap before I weld up the cross member.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » May 20th 2012, 5:49pm

Give it a fair eye ball, then put a blob of modeling clay on to the dist/cap, so that when you put the D/H on the clay will mold to the D/H. I've used this trick to fit things that can't be seen or measured.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 20th 2012, 6:28pm

My problem is I already yanked the 700R4 so I don't have the original angle. I think there is some confusion over the measurement I need, maybe a pic will do better.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » May 20th 2012, 6:42pm

I was thinking that the engine is still there , if you have a doghouse mounted in place and cut a hole in the doghouse in which to stick a yardstick or other measuring device in and put it up against the distributor shaft , then look at the yardstick to see how many inches it is from the dist shaft to the doghouse wall , if the doghouse is mounted in place then you have a stationary neasuring point at the dist shaft and the doghouse wall , considering the doghouse is only there for measuring purpose , which is why I suggest a salvage yard one , so you don't have to cut an access hole in the doghouse you plan to use after the work is done ,, as it be hard to get a measurement from the inside of the doghouse wall to the dist shaft without cutting on the doghouse wall
Phantom
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 20th 2012, 10:51pm

You guys are way over complicating this. Check the picture out. Really easy to do without a second dog house, cutting a hole etc. etc.

In this case there's about 3.5" between the edge and the shaft. Easy.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby Phantom » May 20th 2012, 11:54pm

Not sure how to say this , but straight out ... the measurement you show in the pic would be the first most logical measurement to make to get an approx measure ,,,just as you did , remove doghouse and measure as you did ....which prompted me to say that it depends on how critical the measurement needed to be ... sometimes 1/4 . 1/8 or 1/16 of an inch can cause parts not to line up correctly , depending on how critical the measurement needs to be would dictate the need for another doghouse , a misalignment of 1/8 might have been a problem depending on what you were seeking to achieve :)
Phantom
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 21st 2012, 1:37am

Looking to be in the neighborhood atm, not within a thousandth tolerance or anything. My big issue is I want to see how much if any notching I'm going to have to do of the unibody where I'm hitting right now. The under drive uses an adapter that is significantly larger than a traditional 4L80E tail housing.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » May 21st 2012, 3:04am

Okay I went down laid under the van. 2 3/4 inch from the outer edge of the distributor shaft. The part the hold down clamps on. to the edge of the floorpan where the dog house sits. I bent a piece of metal until it spanned it. I will find 2 pics so you know which points I used.

Edit the pics. From the point on distributor marked 1st pic.
Second pic that point on distributor to floorpan used.

distributor.jpg
measure.jpg
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 21st 2012, 3:50am

chevymaher wrote:Okay I went down laid under the van. 2 3/4 inch from the outer edge of the distributor shaft. The part the hold down clamps on. to the edge of the floorpan where the dog house sits. I bent a piece of metal until it spanned it. I will find 2 pics so you know which points I used.

Edit the pics. From the point on distributor marked 1st pic.
Second pic that point on distributor to floorpan used.

distributor.jpg
measure.jpg

That's what I needed. You're stock location too I'm willing to assume. You rock! It appears I have PLENTY of clearance, just gotta get everything sectioned, notched and reinstalled for my trans now. That could be the interesting part to say the least.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » May 21st 2012, 3:59am

Yes everything is the stock location.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader

Postby Mr_Roboto [OP] » May 21st 2012, 4:38am

It appears I have 3" as you measured, so everything just "fell into place." I'll be able to do this without cutting the unibody, and I'll have to do some serious work to the cross member. I think it's going to need 2" of notch just to get to the height it's installable. My current plan is to weld in a piece of square tube, then cut out the center piece where it'd hit.
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Alias (AKA):