just bought a 93 safari bit of help needed

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

just bought a 93 safari bit of help needed

Postby Monkey#39 [OP] » September 30th 2008, 7:10am

So we bought a 1993 safari for a second vechile for my wife just to run into town we only paid 300 buck for it the guy just had it safetyed in july and then the fuel pump went and he said screw it and let it sit til down the list of repairs mechanically is long which is great but I've yet to to hear it run due to the fuel pump.. how hard is the fuel pump to replace how many bolts etc.... hold up the tank any tricks?? also the driver door pins/ hinges are worn any tricks to this ?... i think I'll be asking alot more questions as I get deeper into this van lol
Original Poster [OP]
Monkey#39
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Monkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full yearsMonkey#39 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: just bought a 93 safari bit of help needed

Postby herbal_gardens » September 30th 2008, 12:40pm

(This is a quick how to for fuel pump replacement for vans with an internal pump in the gas tank,)

Block up the tank with a jack so you can lower it easily when ready. Remove any dist covers (if applicable) Remove the bolts (closest to the drive shaft. Leave the outer bolts alone). Although it is possible to remove the outer bolts its not a nessesity and aside from that your van is old enough you might snap the retainer clips if you tried. Slightly lower the tank so you can get your hand above the tank to unplug the clip and the line (s) then drop the tank. Remove the retainer clip from the top of the tank, twist the pump from the groves and pull. You will see the big rubber seal as well, save it you might need it.

Installation is in reverse.

Hope this helps.

PS. Invest in a haynes manual they are around $15.00 and will save you alot of time running back and forth from your garage to your computer.
herbal_gardens
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: herbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » September 30th 2008, 2:46pm

I just last wk replaced the pump on my 1994 LT.First and for most spray with pen oil the strap bolts.Remember water,dirt,yrs of setting without being removed.Spray the day before you take it apart and again just before you take it apart.Rounding off the head of these bolts will make for a really long day for you.Remove the outside bolts mainly because you will find they have a extra long nose for a guide to put them back on and because it will make it easier to pull the tank out to the side of the van.As long as you lube well with pen oil the clips are not a issue.Get the van as high as you can on jackstands.The pay off for this will come back to you ten times over.Gas is very heavy.Remove as much of it as you can sucking out the filler into a gas can before you drop the tank.Take off any clamps leading to the tank.You will find all of them lead to a hole in the crossmember of the body of the van.Spray pen oil on the fuel filter as well-I'll tell you why later.Support the tank with a floor jack and remove the outside bolts continuing to spray with pen oil.It is more likely you find the supply line and return line rusted thru.The supply line I replaced with fuel injector rubber hose because my pump runs 65psi.It costs more,but if not used on a a pump with my kind of pressure,regular hose would surely fail.You just need it on the supply line.This brings me to a very important part of this job.You need to I.D.the engine you have in your van via the vin number.I was given the wrong pump by a parts store and ended up doing the job twice.Go to Auto Zone or N.A.P.A. web site and plug in your info to have a part number before you go to the store.1994 and before you can replace just the pump.

But to get back to removing the tank.So now you have the straps off and slowly lower it and remove the filler hose.You find a long wire leading toward the front of the van and you want to free that up so it just hangs there.Do not try to remove it from the tank.It doesn't come off there.

Well-better yet-have is the Auto Zone repair guide.PM me if you have any other questions.

http://www.autozone.com/shopping/repair ... bf#hd1-1-1
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: high top

Postby herbal_gardens » October 1st 2008, 2:50am

I do believe that my method was clearly stated as a procedure for a newer astro/ safari, I do agree that emptying the gas tank is a great idea it would help prevent possible accidents, like fire hazard, and extra weight on the tank to promote less slipping on the jack, however I am not ignorant, and the wire that I speak about has 4 leads to it and does connect to the fuel pump. Further more a haynes manual would be more appropriate for an aged van like a 93 vs a newer model. (after all they are based on a complete tear dowbn and rebuild) and last i checked autozone (atleast the one around here) does not have manuals of the self titled nature for specific vehicles, that would be the chilton or the Haynes FYI, and PS. I know my spelling is off, o need to correct there either.

Chris
herbal_gardens
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: herbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full yearsherbal_gardens has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » October 1st 2008, 4:34am

herbal_gardens wrote:I do believe that my method was clearly stated as a procedure for a newer astro/ safari, I do agree that emptying the gas tank is a great idea it would help prevent possible accidents, like fire hazard, and extra weight on the tank to promote less slipping on the jack, however I am not ignorant, and the wire that I speak about has 4 leads to it and does connect to the fuel pump. Further more a haynes manual would be more appropriate for an aged van like a 93 vs a newer model. (after all they are based on a complete tear dowbn and rebuild) and last i checked autozone (atleast the one around here) does not have manuals of the self titled nature for specific vehicles, that would be the chilton or the Haynes FYI, and PS. I know my spelling is off, o need to correct there either.

Chris

Hey Chris-he did said it was for a 1993 Astro. :confused: :confused: So don't get offended by a member who just finshed doing that job just last wk. :angry-tappingfoot: :angry-tappingfoot: The best thing we can do is to not post at all if you don't know and let other members who do chime in.It is for sure the best advise we can provide for questions. :banana: :banana: So what ya say,how about a group hug??. :romance-grouphug: :rofl: :rofl:
Gary
Dearly Departed
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby smyrna5 » October 1st 2008, 3:24pm

I just replaced my fuel pump on the 93 safari a month ago. It was a pain in the arse. The biggest problem I had was disconnecting the two hoses that have flare nuts on them. I had the right sized flare nut wrenches, but one still stripped off the flats because there were so tight, and its tough to get to them under there. Vice grips came to the rescue though. You definitely want to get most of the gas out. I pumped mine out with the old fuel pump by disconnecting the line at the filter.

I would probably make sure it is the fuel pump before replacing it, since mine turned out not to be bad.

By the way, I bought the official 3 volume set of factory tech manuals on my van years ago off eBay. I think I paid about $50 for them, but its the best $50 I ever spent on this van. Lots of detailed diagnostic charts, and wiring diagrams. I also have the Haynes manual, which is probably better for telling you how to take stuff off.
1993 Safari XLT CPI injection (retired)
2003 Safari XLT
smyrna5
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: smyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full yearssmyrna5 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby Gary » October 2nd 2008, 1:24am

There are four lines coming off the tank.One is the supply which goes to the fuel filter,the other on running along side of the supply line is the return line.The third one is a overflow hose from the filler(kind of larger),the forth is the evaportor hose.When you replace just the pump,it is suggested you replace the wiring harness and the strainer.

Here is a guess not knowing your vin code or AWD/RWD.A N.A.P.A. link:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/N ... SubCatId=2

As far as the fuel lines are concerned-the long term fix is replacing them with steel lines.Which are not likely to rust out as long as you own the van.The other way is to run fuel injection rubber hose to the fuel filter from the tank and then from the other side of the fuel filter to about where the steel line starts to go up the back of the engine.(this is the supply line)NAPA sold me clamps for high pressure line that has a screw(not expendable clamps)that applies pressure all around the hose.Now all this is depending on which fuel injection system you have.CPI is high pressure needing what I have said above.If that is the case(a "W" code),the rest of the lines can be replaced with reg rubber fuel line.

Any questions-do pm me and I'll do my best to help.

The top of the tank:

The fuel pump it's self:

The above is the old pump with the isolater still on it.The new one comes with one.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby Houston_Astro » October 6th 2008, 5:04am

Seems like I remember on the old board that there was a recommended procedure for doing this that involved leaving the tank in place and cutting a hole in the floor to get access. You might want to do a search... You could save hassle and time for yourself.
Houston_Astro
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Houston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full yearsHouston_Astro has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):

Postby Gary » October 6th 2008, 6:15am

Houston_Astro wrote:Seems like I remember on the old board that there was a recommended procedure for doing this that involved leaving the tank in place and cutting a hole in the floor to get access. You might want to do a search... You could save hassle and time for yourself.

Well Houston-we have a problem. :rofl: I too remember a thread about cutting the floor for a fuel pump replacement.But given the flumes,I am not sure I would cut the floor with the tank in place.extinguishflame: :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-extinguishflame: :rofl: :rofl:

I do think it is more a matter of someone like me who removed the tank and came to know what a pita it is and thought of cutting the floor to not having to deal with that again.

Because Ole Yellar is a carbed van,my swap involves a tank swap for a tbi,(for a higher volume pump),and the van is a cargo-I might consider cutting a access door for the pump.If I do,I certainly will doc it and have pic's.But be sure,if I do the tank,will be out first.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » October 6th 2008, 1:46pm

Pull the tank, it's NOT that tough if the bolts aren't seized up. I had mine out yesterday. I posted last time I had it out, and will repost again: THIS IS THE EASIEST TANK TO R&R THAT I HAVE EVER DONE! :screaming:

Undo the filler tube clamp, support the tank with a floor jack, remove the outer bolts. Mine (and the ones at the junkyard) are held captive with a nut. Remove the inner strap bolts, lower the tank some to access the fittings above it. Undo those, unplug the harness (it doesn't come off at the tank, follow it forward)& take loose the ground. Bring the tank down and out. The shape of the tank lends itself to easy reinstallation. It's not a wedge like many car tanks, it's like raising a brick back into a brick shaped hole and strapping it back in.

When reinstalling, connect lines & tubes, make sure the vent tube isn't kinked, raise into position, and start the inner strap bolts first. The outers are longer and will be easier to get started.

:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8