bring the astro back

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

bring the astro back

Postby markykarky96 [OP] » July 12th 2012, 4:41pm

The astro should Def. Be brought back! To me it was the best van ever made. I myself have a 98 astro converted by tiara and its the best thing that I own! I will never give the van up till death do us part lol my van has 193,000 miles and still trucking and imma take it up to new jersey new York and Pennsylvania in about a week... I am going to buy the new injectors with the spider kit....supossidly its supposed to help the gas millage especially since my injectors are original lol but yea Chevy should bring the astro back i mean do you know how many Chevy would sell?! There are so many used astros on the street than ever before! If they were to make new ones Chevy will b banking! Chevy...think for once!
Original Poster [OP]
markykarky96
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: markykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full yearsmarkykarky96 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): marky
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L rwd conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: bring the astro back

Postby Lumpy » July 12th 2012, 4:48pm

As much as I imagine a lot of us would like to see AstroFari's brought back, I have to think there isn't much of a market for them. Low MPG compared to essentially every other Soccer Mom or Contractor vehicle is probably the biggest killer. GM could redesign the motor/drivetrain to get better mileage, but they already have vans and SUVs that do that. Plus I'd bet that if GM came out with a new Astro, it would look goofy compared to what we've all grown to appreciate.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby chevymaher » July 12th 2012, 5:13pm

Lumpy wrote:As much as I imagine a lot of us would like to see AstroFari's brought back, I have to think there isn't much of a market for them. Low MPG compared to essentially every other Soccer Mom or Contractor vehicle is probably the biggest killer. GM could redesign the motor/drivetrain to get better mileage, but they already have vans and SUVs that do that. Plus I'd bet that if GM came out with a new Astro, it would look goofy compared to what we've all grown to appreciate.

Lump

Take the chevy nova as a example.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby AWDASTROVAN1999 » July 12th 2012, 7:18pm

markykarky96 wrote:The astro should Def. Be brought back! To me it was the best van ever made. I myself have a 98 astro converted by tiara and its the best thing that I own! I will never give the van up till death do us part lol my van has 193,000 miles and still trucking and imma take it up to new jersey new York and Pennsylvania in about a week... I am going to buy the new injectors with the spider kit....supossidly its supposed to help the gas millage especially since my injectors are original lol but yea Chevy should bring the astro back i mean do you know how many Chevy would sell?! There are so many used astros on the street than ever before! If they were to make new ones Chevy will b banking! Chevy...think for once!

What part of Pa are you going to ? Im in the Northeast corner ..
AWDASTROVAN1999
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: AWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full yearsAWDASTROVAN1999 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby tedanderson » July 12th 2012, 11:49pm

I agree that there are plenty of A/S vans on the road. And the other owners/drivers that I meet on the street from time to time really like their vans.

But I think part of this has to do with the fact that 99% of the ones you see on the road come out of the used market where they are thousands less in price compared to what it would cost new if GM decided to retool and bring it back.

I love my van.. but I am not so sure that I love it enough to buy it again for $27,000.. or even $30K if you adjust for inflation.

And aside of the poor gas mileage, the A/S vans just weren't big enough for most people anymore.. especially when they could get something full sized for a comparable price.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby Big_kid » July 13th 2012, 3:09am

They won't ever be back as we now know them, not even close. CAFE standards and all.

I'll stop now before I start.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8