Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What have you done with your other vehicles today.

236K views 3K replies 180 participants last post by  sixsix 
#1 ·
Since we all have other vehicles.
And we all basically work on our own stuff.
And we talk about it on the forum.
I modeled this thread after the infamous . "What have you done to your van today" Thread for just such emergencies and what not.

Well since my van is mothballed right now till warm weather. I been driving the truck. I having the same as the van did before. When it is this cold, 6-16 degrees the truck just don't get warm long. Heater suffering. I going to put a piece of cardboard in the radiator today. When you stop driving the temp gauge drops and the heater is Poo-Poo. And it is loading up from being cold and idling so much warming up. One good throttle application and it fine, but after a few days of kid glove idling around it just dont run the same.

Cutting and placing the cardboard all it getting for now. As my baby is hogging up the heat in the garage and she is not coming out. And I sure am not standing outside looking for and modifying a heater control valve in 15 degree weather. So I will deal with it when it gets to 40 degrees or above. For for now we are good.

If anyone feels I was wrong starting this thread. In my back yard I have a large supply of pitchforks and torches. Some rocks in a pile. Feel free to come by and run me out of town on a rail. We will be serving beverage of your choice and snacks before the stoning commences. Please RSVP promptly so I know to get additional pitchforks and torches. We have a unexhaustable supply of rocks. I hope everyone enjoys the event.

Thank You.
The soon to be stoned.
:whack:

See less See more
#3,052 ·
The only thing left on the rejection paperwork is an exhaust leak. I might look at it, I might just bring it to the muffler shop instead. Replacing the shocks I was pelted with rust, dirt, and who knows what else was falling on me. It wasn't my idea of a good time.

#3,054 ·
I've been playing musical tires with the CRV myself.
I wound up with TL Type S wheels with Michelins.
Along the way I wound up with Vision 17s, and Odyssey 16s.
Just sold the stockers today.
Now to sell at least one of the other sets.
When I get the cash built back up, I'm gonna do a big brake kit on it.

#3,055 ·
Highlander was leaking trans fluid. Picked up filter and gasket today. Also bought a valve cover gasket as that has been weeping. What a pain to get the trans pan bolts out. 4 of them are above the frame with no clearance. I ended up undoing the motor mount and raising the engine about an inch so I could get in there with a 10mm on a 1/4" drive breaker bar. Too much offset to use a swivel. Maybe 1/4" drive swivel socket would work but I don't have those. About 6 of the bolts were rusty and no longer 10mm. I hammered on a 9mm and a 3/8" to get them out. Of course I don't have replacement bolts so that project is on hold until tomorrow. Ahhh, rust...

#3,056 ·
Buttoned up the Highlander today. fortunately, the replacement rubber gasket held the 18 m6 bolts in place so that was slick. Topped it up with ATF and it drives great. Looks like I need to buy an air filter and I should be in good shape. Receiving a pair of replacement headlights mid-week as the current ones are toast. I could buff them out but that never seems to last very long around here. $80 bux for a new pair, easy decision.

#3,057 ·
On Thurs I replaced the tires on the Sebring. I had picked up a nice set of take-offs (4k miles, no patches), but the shop that did the mounting for the Astro said they wouldn't put tires on unless they were new. So I used the H/F manual changer. I threw in some air-soft pellets for balancing, since I didn't have a way of balancing them with weights.

2021-05-20_TireChange.jpg

I then went on a Sebring Cruise (met up with other Sebring Convertibles) and had no issues with the tires.

2021-05-22_CSCC_MRR#12.jpg

Yeah, one of the guys has a Challenger, but he used to own a Sebring convertible (3 actually) so we let him hang around.

-Andrew

#3,058 ·
Well, the Town & Country has been dead since end of March, finally got a replacement for it.

2021-05-26_FirstPics02.jpg

2021-05-26_FirstPics01.jpg

It's an '08 Mitsubishi Endeavor, one owner, just about rust-free. Wife is soooooo happy to have a vehicle again. Yeah, she doesn't drive mine because they're manual.

-Andrew

#3,065 ·
Invited a local Police officer over to do a VIN verification on my mini truck. Hmmmm, not 17 digits (big surprise), Will be visiting the town clerk next week, I guess she will figure it out.

Someone really hacked the wiring. After replacing the radio using the 3 factory wires (pos, ground, ignition), the headlight /parking light fuse popped. Signals still work. And now the high beams come on with the brake. I can see where someone has done some creative wiring. Going to pull the radio, replace the fuse, and hope It goes back to work so I can pass inspection for the short term. Thinking I need to pull the dash as there is NO room to work.

#3,068 ·
97cargocrawler said:
Leeann_93 said:
Damn, Jack - that's a nice trans ;-)

We gonna see a pic of how it stands now? Huh?
Nope! I replaced the torsion bars and torsion keys while I had everything apart. Now I have a pinch of a negative camber problem with adjustments maxed out.

Hmmm maybe I NEED that 300lb winch up front now. :think:
Oh, c'mon. I need a pic. Damnit.

#3,070 ·
Changed the oil in the Jeep while my husband and daughter replaced the purge solenoid and filled up the AC on her Xterra. She's had a light on for a while. Oh, and they checked the radiator, too. Hers has top and bottom tanks (instead of side tanks) and it had been leaking. I bought a new radiator, but my husband tightened the crimps while we waited for it and they're holding for the moment.