What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done with your other vehicles today.

Postby Rockridge » March 26th 2020, 10:47pm

Well, the RDX's turbo flow actuator behaved itself and it got an inspection sticker today.
Rockridge
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full yearsRockridge has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA): Walker
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • How did YOU rebuild your 4.3?
    by SoccerMom4x4 » December 30th 2019, 5:19am in Engines
    58 Replies
    Last post by SoccerMom4x4 View the latest post
    May 21st 2020, 8:46pm
  • How often do you flush your brake lines?
    by Lee in Mountain View » January 28th 2020, 8:13pm in Brakes
    17 Replies
    Last post by chevymaher View the latest post
    February 7th 2020, 11:56pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    May 25th 2020, 8:36am

Postby Zebediah III » April 16th 2020, 2:29am

Not today, but this weekend I bought a derelict Astro Cargo van from somebody's yard. It has the rear barn doors with no windows and I have been looking for those for years. It's an old Airborne Express van with 4 or 5 paint jobs of very poorly done enamel and many bullet holes. These guys basically parked their van that they used for painting houses after the injection spider went and began to drink beer and shoot holes in the van. It's been in their yard for a few years and when the city orange stickered it I moved in for the kill. I got it for $70. I can't wait to get some free time to fix those rear doors and paint them. It is rust free, just some bullet holes. About 3-4 9mm in each rear door, from several different angles. Will be easy, I have plenty of paint stripper too. I will do them white and airbrush in that area that looks like windows go there. There is a line all the way around it so it will be good for that
Zebediah III
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 6
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby Rod's Trucks » April 16th 2020, 4:54am

The last few days I have been slowly tackling the task of putting a new fuel pump in my 1999 Ford Ranger.
It supposed to be a relatively simple job, sort of like the similar operation in our vans is supposed to be.
On the Ford ranger 4x4, the front of the fuel tank sits over a riveted frame member, so the back end of the tank has to drop down and slide back under the rear axle, in order to clear the frame, in order to drop the tank. The fuel pump/sender location is near the front of the tank, so the tank can only drop a bit without straining the fuel lines. As a result the fuel lines need to be disconnected before the tank can come down far enough to get the pump/sender unit out of top of the tank. I also discovered the siphon operation did not get nearly all the fuel out. The tank was still quite heavy.
Having to drag out another floor jack in the middle of the job, to reposition everything, was not fun; but it worked.
Ford uses some slip fittings at the tank and the fuel filter. They push together and then lock in place. I had a tool to remove them, so I thought I was prepared...until I discovered, midway through the operation, the two fittings on the tank were two different sizes. ARGH!
My tool fit the return line fitting, but not the supply line...Bummer!
An evening trip to FLAPS yielded an appropriate tool. I hope it works.
Tomorrow is another day, and I hope to be able to at least get the pump back in the tank, even if the tank does not get hoisted back into place.
Rod J
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby Zebediah III » April 16th 2020, 5:18pm

Next time, maybe take the torx bolts out of the bed and get a few freinds to help you lift it off. You may not have to go all the way off, but often you can move the bed far back enough (like set it on the tyres) to get the sender/pump out. If you do this, make sure you get the fuel neck unbolted and unplug the wiring for the lights.
Zebediah III
Years of Membership: Zebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full yearsZebediah III has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 6
Extra Info: 383 Crate Motor

Postby Leeann_93 » April 19th 2020, 9:00pm

Changed the oil in the Jeep. Only 3000 miles since the last change, but most of the driving is 2 mile trips and the oil was black. The seats aren't comfortable, plus it's just smaller in every way than the Astro and doesn't get better gas mileage.

Aired up the tires and changed the spark plugs on the Tercel, then used the blower tip on the air hose to blow all the pine needle crap out of every crevice on the poor thing. Its parking place is next to the only pine tree near the driveway.

Vacuumed out the Jeep, Astro and Tercel with the shop vac.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 40
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby Rod's Trucks » April 19th 2020, 9:54pm

Zebediah,
Thanks for the note.
Yes, that option was considered, but I have a 5th Wheel hitch base securely bolted through the bed and frame, and a camper shell on top.
I thought removing all that might be more work; but after getting this far, it might not have been a viable option anyway. .
Removing all hat would have required an extra person to help. Dropping the tank was much more time consuming, but not that bad for me, by myself. I sure missed my old vehicle hoist!
I was never able to get the fuel discharge line to come apart, even with the correct tool, so I got the pump out of the tank and disconnected that discharge line at the fuel filter. I was able to un-clip if from the frame and snake it back out of the frame in one piece, while still connected with the tank pump and float assembly. The junk that came out of the inlet side of the fuel filter was GROSS! It obviously was more in need of replacement than I had expected, although the new filter was to be installed before the new pump was run.
Rod
Rod's Trucks

Postby icebrrg3rd » April 20th 2020, 4:37am

One of the bummers of renting is not having off-street parking. Sometime late Thurs night/early Fri morning my wife's van got tapped by a hit & run driver.

2020-04-17_VanHit.jpg

So today I went to the j/y to grab a new taillight. Yard was picked almost clean, only lights left were cracked/broken except for one, and it happened to be the side I needed. Yay! Too bad I couldn't find a bumper cover too, that would take care of a lot of the damage. One interesting thing, that spot had been bondo'd, and rust was under it. I wonder if it had been "fixed" before we got it, and I wonder if there are more spots like it hiding elsewhere, with rust bubbling under the paint/bondo.

-Andrew

p.s. yeah, no pic of the new taillight. It's just a boring Chrysler taillight anyways, nothing to see here, move along.
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby sixsix » April 20th 2020, 12:50pm

If you had not already thought of it... check the neighbor's car/trucks/etc for paint transfer.
Just sayin'. We love our neighbors too... ;) ;)
Build Progress: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1547820

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ? "I wish Tweety wasn't already taken"
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby icebrrg3rd » April 20th 2020, 3:29pm

Oh, I walked the dog up and down our block looking at silver vehicles. Nothing matched tho.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 261k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 213k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 180k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Rod's Trucks » April 21st 2020, 5:29pm

I finally finished getting the in-tank fuel pump installed on the Ford ranger.
Being a 4x4 added some extra work ( skid plate on the bottom of the tank and some other minor clearance issues).
I came out from under the truck looking like I had survived a coal mine collapse. The fuel filler hose seemed to shed black 'soot' every time I got near it with a tool or body part, and it took a lot of manipulation to get it back into the correct orientation to hook up to the filler pipe.
Truck started and ran just fine after some priming....I hope I never have to do that job again.

Now, back to the regularly scheduled priorities.... a big list of Honey Do's, and the Astro Van....and Yes, probably in that order.
Rod's Trucks

Postby Mr_Roboto » April 22nd 2020, 7:29am

pontiac_head_filled.jpg

Not really the vehicle its self but I filled some Pontiac heads with aluminum. I am kind of lazy and don't want to have to make a heat riser block off for my modified intake. Ready for porting now though.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby Mr_Roboto » May 2nd 2020, 7:27am

manifold.jpg

Started building this for the Lemans. Not really sure why I'm doing it but I'm doing it. I have a set of long tubes I can run it N/A but I just don't see it making any power that way honestly. I lost the last piece so I need to clean up downstairs and see if I can find it. Hopefully.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby Big_kid » May 3rd 2020, 12:45am

Technically not mine, but it is my daughter's Blazer- Today I helped my SIL replace the rest of the ignition system, we replaced the coil a few nights ago. Last night he and a friend removed the old distributor- without setting it @ #1 first. Thanks for that, huh? Lucky for us we got it right-ish on the first try. I looked in the #1 plug hole with my borescope camera, but I couldn't see the valves. I was NOT going to risk dropping the mirror attachment inside, resetting the distributor had it been off would have been less work than fishing an errant mirror. Got it installed a tooth off, wrapped my head around which way it needed to go without looking at it directly, then got it set. It ran much better, but later on he called me, the engine light was flashing and he said the RPMs were up and fuel mileage was about half what it had been. I've not seen it since, no idea what that's all about.

We took off the LF wheel to get to the D/S plugs, the blazer still needs an alignment and tires. I had to get creative to get to the # 3 plug, there was no room for a ratchet. I should have taken a picture, but I was more concentrating on getting it replaced than I was of documenting my Rube Goldberg setup to do it. I had a plug socket on the plug, one leg of the open end side of a 19mm wrench wedged into the drive end of the socket, and a tire iron through the box end to turn it. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't even that stable, but it did break it loose. I was able to use a flathead screwdriver to finagle it the rest of the way out.

Here's hoping they get the rest of it taken care of soon...
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 184
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Big_kid » May 3rd 2020, 1:52am

And the blazer is now sitting in my driveway again. Rotten egg smell from the exhaust, sometimes it runs smoothly sometimes it doesn't, and I have no idea what codes it has. I've not driven it, SIL is talking about bringing it to a dealer sometime Monday. Meanwhile the Astro is on loan again. I have a suspicion the injectors are leaking, who knows.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 184
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Leeann_93 » May 3rd 2020, 2:08am

Yeah, it's dumping fuel (hence the rotten egg). Ugh.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 40
Van Model Year: 2005

Postby M_a_t_t » May 4th 2020, 12:48am

I need some advice for my car (95 Mercury Tracer), but it's kind of a general question. There is some type of hard coating (like a ceramic maybe?) on the floor (under the carpet) and underneath the back seat. I noticed it seems like its starting to collect rust around it. If Its there for noise cancellation and nothing really important I'd like to remove it. Does anyone know what its there for? The second picture is behind the back seat where it broke. I think thats a fuel tank strap bolt if it matters.

TIA,
Matt
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby Rod's Trucks » May 4th 2020, 3:37am

I have no idea what that may be, but I would drive by a large auto body shop....or two or three, and ask questions about it, as though you were planning on fixing it.
You just might find out the answer to your question, and get some idea what might be involved in the repair.

Good luck.
Rod's Trucks

Postby 90safari » May 5th 2020, 9:27pm

M_a_t_t wrote:I need some advice for my car (95 Mercury Tracer), but it's kind of a general question. There is some type of hard coating (like a ceramic maybe?) on the floor (under the carpet) and underneath the back seat. I noticed it seems like its starting to collect rust around it. If Its there for noise cancellation and nothing really important I'd like to remove it. Does anyone know what its there for? The second picture is behind the back seat where it broke. I think thats a fuel tank strap bolt if it matters.

TIA,
Matt

It's a sound deadening mat, that's stuck/glued to the floor. You'll probably have to warm it up with a torch, so you can peel it off.

Not sure if that's a tank strap bolt or not. I don't work on fords, so I have no idea.
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years90safari has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 5
Van Model Year: 1990
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby M_a_t_t » May 5th 2020, 10:39pm

That's what I said before I bought it. So far there hasn't been many issues. I do have a suzuki engine and trans (out of a GM rebadge) I'm putting in though so it will be a hybrid :D. My other response that I say when someone says that is: it's not a ford, it's a mercury. Yes, I know they are the same. I just say it to mess with people.

I'm pretty sure it is a tank strap bolt because I replaced them (the bolts) and the tank is under the seat.

Different question (not calling 90 safari out, he just brought it up): Why do people see things like that? I can understand specific things like engine work and specs, etc. But tanks in cars are typically under the back seat so even if you are a diehard GM it still applies. After working at Autozone people seem like they think the opposite brand has alien parts.

"I'm not getting fuel to the engine, what do you think that might be?"
"Idk, I don't work on fords."
Testing procedures are the same. Fuel pump have power? Fuel pump running? Fuel filter clogged? C'mon people its a car with pretty much the same technology as everything else. The windshield wipers go on the same way! Bolts use the same threads and you don't need a 3rd set of wrenches to work on it.

Rant over.
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 24
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby sixsix » May 5th 2020, 11:22pm

M_a_t_t wrote: ... Different question (not calling 90 safari out, he just brought it up): Why do people see things like that?
"I'm not getting fuel to the engine, what do you think that might be?"
"Idk, I don't work on fords."
Rant over.

Priceless - so - so wrong, as well as, so - so right.

Can't help but say this - I know my way sorta' around the 4.3 and it's systems and would feel comfy in ANY chevy prod of the same era.
But would not have any idea where the Ford **** is or even what the parts or knobs look like.
Might as well be from Saturn. The planet...

On the other hand - if I was a certified mechanic, I would pop off with the 5X "Did you and it do such and such" routine as you say.
But where and what size is the Bumper sheet metal and fastener spec... uhh, IDK, I don't recognize it... what brand ?

Also foolish rant over and the orig ranter is correct. LOL

Oh, and by the way... it looks like a fuel tank strap to me - did not take too long to find it. Just sayin.
Build Progress: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1547820

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ? "I wish Tweety wasn't already taken"
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 35
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

PreviousNext