Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

2000 vs 1998 differences

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  CDGsafari98 
#1 ·
Ok all in the world of astros and safaris, My 98 Safari AWD died on me, it was my daily driver, and it reduced my house to one car no good, problem solved today as I purchased a 2000 awd astro. As i was under the 2000 astro I noticed the Gas tank was repositioned, also the interior is slightly different. I am curious to know if there are any other differences I should be aware of that would make a difference in me using my 1998 as a donor vehicle for the 2000?

I am glad to have a running van again (not so happy about the cost) but hey maybe I wont have so many problems with this one. Got a warranty with it just to be safe also. :chevy:

#2 ·
your 2000 will have AWD "on demand" where the '98 was full time. In '99 GM changed the ohm rating on the fuel gauge so they don't interchange and the whole gauge cluster while looking the same is '96-'98 and '99-05. The 2000 probably has non adjustable roller piviot rockerarms and the '98 still used the old 1955 ball setup. The 2000 light systems are a little different. I can't remember just how now but until I got a owners manual for my 2000 I thought something was screwed up. After I got used to it, I wish my '98 was that way. There well may be other differences but that is what comes to mind right now. The fuel tanks on both my '98s and my 2000 were the same so I'm not sure what you have there. Good luck with your new ride.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I will be under the 98 in the next week or so so I will have a better ide as to whats up under there. The lights I think automatically come on in the 2000. I will learn some as i go i am sure.

#4 ·
I had a 1999 AWD Astro. Our friends have a 2000 Astro.

Fuel tank is larger on the 2000... I think 25 vs 20 gallons...
2000 has tow/haul button on shifter
2000 has automatic headlights
to turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRLs), press the override button next to the light switch 4 or five times

1999 has different inserts in the cup holders... They will fit the '96-up vans, too. There are different part numbers for the right and left. The last time I bought 8 or 10 of them, they were quite inexpensive.

#5 ·
"in the way back" there was two different sizes of fuel tanks. The larger one is 27 US gallons and that has been standard for years. The filler neck is S O O O baddly designed that you can rarely ever get the full 27 in there and GM has even advertized smaller sizes on the same tank because of that.

#6 ·
Ok nice. I thought the gas tank was bigger but wasnt sure and with the 98 not running no way to test! I can turn the DRL's off? nice. Can i turn them back on?

I dont think i like the bucket bench seats with the center armrest! They dont fold down flat???? what is that about??? anyway may switch to the fold flat seats more convenient.

#7 ·
CDGsafari98 said:
I dont think i like the bucket bench seats with the center armrest! They dont fold down flat???? what is that about??? anyway may switch to the fold flat seats more convenient.
The seats with the built-in armrests are from the LT trim level. That isn't a year-specific thing.

I always wanted those LT seats. That armrest can prevent a lot of the "he's on my side" arguments from the children :lol:

#8 ·
97TurboAstro said:
The seats with the built-in armrests are from the LT trim level. That isn't a year-specific thing.

I always wanted those LT seats. That armrest can prevent a lot of the "he's on my side" arguments from the children :lol:
No lie there. I hate it when my kids make me feel like my dad.

Anyways, is that trim level specific to 2nd generation vans only?

#9 ·
astro355 said:
97TurboAstro said:
Anyways, is that trim level specific to 2nd generation vans only?
I don't think so. I've seen pre-96 Astro LTs with the center armrest.

I think the front seats of the LT vans have fancy cloth on the lower sides of the seats, too. I know the two LS vans i've owned both had vinyl on the sides of the seats.

LT vans also have flux capacitors and can time-travel :rolling:

#11 ·
97TurboAstro said:
CDGsafari98 said:
That armrest can prevent a lot of the "he's on my side" arguments from the children :lol:
Well My son is 15 and my daughter is three so I am good! In three years he is out the door! LOL

The ability to flod flat allows me to keep the rows in and if I have to carry something large I can. now I would have to go drop the seats off and come back! Yuck. Maybe I will just swap the third row out?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.