Chevy Astro vs. Blazer comparison...

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Chevy Astro vs. Blazer comparison...

Postby allman [OP] » April 3rd 2013, 6:46pm

Hello people,

I keep looking at Blazers passing by on the road wondering how they are compared to the Astro. I'm sure people here have driven/owned both vehicles. If you have time and mood, please share your experiences/thoughts.

How is the Blazer compared to the Astro?

Pros/cons? Anything REALLY bad I should know about?

By the way I checked an unofficial Blazer forum and it's nowhere near the quality/coolness of https://www.astrosafari.com, hah! 8-)

I love the Astro 'cause it's huge, feels like sitting on a throne with traffic overview unmatched by most other/smaller cars. What I'm truly missing is proper 4x4 during winter (my van is only 2WD).

The Astro is indeed very practical but sometimes also impractical, for example too big and heavy for quick / lightweight city roaming (can be tiring/tricky to handle on narrow streets/places) --- so the thought of having a "smaller Astro" / Blazer as second vehicle crossed my mind.

I looked at a '98 Blazer but it had the shifter in the middle (between the driver and passenger seats), I prefer having it close to the steering wheel like on the Astro (that kind of pushed me away). Oh yeah, in addition, it had some weird grandma-bathtub-like-handle sticking out from the front/top of the dash on the passenger side (what were they thinking?), it's probably practical but to me it just looked wrong, could get used to it though... :roll:

I reckon the Blazer has similar engine, transmission and other (GM) parts so it's probably known/similar territory tech/repair-wise. I guess it's easier/quicker to fix since everything seems to be laid out nicely under the hood (at least, from what I saw on pictures: air filter, plugs, wires, distributor, fuel pump, generator, water pump, etc.) - I'm sure we all know how much FUN it is to remove the doghouse-cover and squeeze yourself in there, specially in winter. ;)

Any serious/known Blazer issues / weaknesses?
Reliable? Unreliable? Too plastic-fantastic-ish interior? Uncomfortable seats?

Thanks.

Allman

[Let me know if I posted this in the wrong forum/category.]
Original Poster [OP]
allman
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: allman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full yearsallman has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Engine Mount Comparison
    by tonydobbs » July 29th 2020, 5:41pm in Engines
    11 Replies
    Last post by pmou View the latest post
    December 3rd 2020, 4:15am
  • ACDelco 45H0087 vs. MOOG 9012
    by nickpboeuf » January 18th 2021, 11:20pm in Lifted Suspension
    3 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 2:31am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 22nd 2021, 4:07am

Re: Chevy Astro vs. Blazer comparison...

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » April 3rd 2013, 8:35pm

I work on blazers all the time. They the exact same thing as the astros. Engine and trans wise. My opinion they are equal to the vans wear wise. Just a different vehicle.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby Leeann_93 » April 3rd 2013, 10:31pm

Blazer/Jimmy is exactly the same engine/transmission/rear as the Astro. Bravada has the exact same engine/transmission/transfer case/rear.

I have a '93 Bravada and a '93 Astro. Exactly the same. Bravada's just lower and smaller. Capable little truck, emphasis on little. Great tow vehicle, great turn radius, just little. Really no better gas mileage. Oh, and smaller gas tank (20 vs 25 or 27). The Bravada (leather) seats are really comfortable, but I think the Astro seats are better.

Guy on here somewhere installed a 4x4 transfer case from a Blazer into his Astro, the one without the mechanical lever (I think it's the NP236 as opposed to our NP136) and installed the button/switch where the optional rear hatch button goes, the right side of the gauge cluster at the bottom.

Some things are easier on the Bravada, some things are easier on the Astro. Plugs/wires are easier on the Bravada (but still through the wheel wells). Cap & rotor are easier on the Astro as it's against the firewall in the Bravada.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby garypely » April 4th 2013, 12:01am

I had a 91 S10 Blazer and loved it. The only reason I junked it was that it was starting to have major issues. The drivers door wouldn't latch anymore. Brake line leak, needed tires, and a complete exhaust and a few other issues. The final deciding factor was when it blew a spark plug and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. If I knew I was going to be getting a Safari van so fast I would have kept the blazer for parts. But it was a great vehicle in the 2 years I had it. Gas mileage wasn't the best I think I got around 17.
garypely
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: garypely has been a member for 7 full yearsgarypely has been a member for 7 full yearsgarypely has been a member for 7 full yearsgarypely has been a member for 7 full yearsgarypely has been a member for 7 full yearsgarypely has been a member for 7 full yearsgarypely has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: awd

Postby justsomeguy » April 4th 2013, 3:39am

But most importantly of all... don't forget the coolness factor! The Astro/Safari is in a class all its own in so many ways. Not only is it practical, well built and stylish (in my opinion, anyway), I can see Astros and Safaris gaining cult status as time goes on. Kind of like in Japan. Sort of a modern day hippie/VW type van. Well, maybe it will never gain that kind of status, but I've had people call my Astro a hippie van. I guess it helps that I have long hair & beard and listen to classic rock nice and loud. Some people have said the Astro is boxy and hideous looking. Yeah, but that's the fun of it! :obscene-birdiedoublered:

For example, check out the picture below. You can see that only cool people drive Astros and Safaris. Yah mon! And No, that's NOT ME, or my van. Note the custom fender dents and rocker panel cladding that's falling off. This dude must have been off roading in his beige Astro.
Attachments
flowing-dreadlocks1.jpg
No, that's NOT ME, or my van. But see, cool people drive Astros and Safaris. Yah mon!
2005 Astro RWD, Base model passenger, ex-cop van, rust free, cadet blue, X Code, Front A/C

Compustar Alarm/Starter, XM Sat. Bluetooth, TransCooler, blackout grille, orange turn signals, pop-open barn door windows, 4 note Cadillac horn. Otherwise stock.
justsomeguy
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: justsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full yearsjustsomeguy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: Base 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie » April 4th 2013, 5:54am

I like them both! Perfer my Van over the Blazer for everyday use, but the Blazer is nice too. Just can't beat the room of the Astro.
Attachments
2013-02-27 08.40.16.jpg
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby icebrrg3rdicebrrg3rd is online! » April 4th 2013, 2:47pm

I had a '91 S10 pickup, 2.8L w/ 5 speed. Loved that little truck, just no room for passengers.

Lots of similar things done to both. Slide in a V-8. Lift a 4x4. Drop a RWD to the ground. Sound systems, paint jobs, rims & wheels, they just beg to be modified. Or be used as reliable work trucks or family haulers. Main difference between the Blazers & the Astros is that the Blazers have a full frame to the Astros half/sub frame. And the wheel bolt patterns are 4 3/4" x 5 vs 5" x 5. I know there's more, but that gets into the nitty gritty stuff. But any way you stack it, the Astro wins (in my book) any comparison.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rdicebrrg3rd is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » April 4th 2013, 2:58pm

Speaking of blazers. One getting towed here now. The one I slowly restoring for a guy.It is getting a transmission now. It already got a motor.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser