Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Random Astro Questions and Observations

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Johnny Freedom 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, first post here.

So, basically, I've had my '03 Astro for a bit over a year now and I've noticed a few things that I either don't really understand or just kinda find funny and wanted to see if these things were specific to my van alone or the whole family.

OBSERVATIONS:
My van is picky as to which pumps we like and choose to use, some pumps(and some entire stations) only pump for a few seconds before clicking off and I have to try and find some balance of how much to squeeze the damn pump...

When Driving in neutral down a mountain if I hit the brakes or make a turn(basically anything changing my momentum while going downhill in neutral) my fuel gauge will go down to empty and back and forth. (I get it, it just seems odd that it only happens in neutral)

I can slip my key out of the ignition at any time, on or off.

QUESTIONS:
Umm... what is that thing underneath the drivers seat?

When should one use/not use tow/haul?

Is there a most efficient MPH to drive?

When I drive up my mountain road, I feel it is more gas efficient when I'm flying up the road at 70 than when I'm stuck behind someone going 55(just feels so sluggish and wasteful) Is this me having a heavy foot or does this seem legit?

Typically, where do your needles sit on your temp/oil/battery gauges?

Welp, that's all that comes to mind for now, but don't worry, I'll bug you all again when I think of more...

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
I will do my best for you although others may have different answers

The pump problems have nothing to do with the vehicle, it is a sign that the station is slack on their pump maintenance or the pump technician is lazy. The fume/evap recovery system is not set properly causing the handle to click off.

I have not seen the fuel gauge problem you are having but there are issues with the needle moving wildly on many vehicles here, just do a search.

My key will not come out, I have a 1999. Some one with a 2003 or higher my be able to speak to this situation.

From reading other post I believe the Airbag mod is under the seat?

I think when to use the tow/haul mode is kind of self explanatory.

I can't speak to the most efficient speed to drive but I do like to get over 38mph to kick on the overdrive.

The sluggishness difference of 55 vs 70 is because the overdrive has an easier time keeping the vehicle at 70mpg than it does at 55mph. You have to step into it a little to get it out of over drive for acceleration. As is with most vehicles with an overdrive.

I have found most OEM gauges not to be so accurate. I use them as more of a trend. My temp sits around 180, volts 13.8, oil above 38psi once warmed. These readings may not be accurate but the trend is valid so if I observe a major change in these then I will investigate.

#4 ·
Woodbutcher said what I was going to - the key issue is simply a worn key. Get a new one - problem solved. Mine's a '96 and I had that happened to me a couple years after I got mine and it was an easy fix.

While you're getting that key made, have a spare made to keep in your wallet like I do - you will be very, very thankful if you ever need it. I've kept a spare in my wallet since I started driving and it has paid off a couple times over the years, LOL!

As for fuel efficiency, I drive a cargo version with the 4.3L and when time/schedule allows I drive in the slow lane and get (far) behind a semi - in California they are limited to 55 and I tail way behind (so I don't pick up a rock off their tire or something) but I can tell you that this practice teamed with conservative driving gave me 21.9 mpg last time I calculated my milage. I've taken many long trips and the same exact trips driving 70 (some highways here have a 70 limit) and the next time driving 55/60 and over a 200 mile trip there is a very significant difference in milage by going 55/60. The faster you drive, of course your gas milage decreases exponentially. I won't ever drive mine near 80 because it's not safe and the gas milage is horrible. I've never had an issue holding at 55.
That's my personal experience with mpg but others may have something else a little different to offer.

#5 ·
Speed limit is 75 in parts around here. I do 80 on trips. I get 21.5 MPH or so at that speed. I would probably do a little better if I didn't nail it up the hills. I got the same mileage with the stock engine and the one I got now.

I don't check mileage all the time. I gotta drive it.
A watched pot never boils kinda thing.
But I checked overall mileage when I put the first tank in the new engine. Just to see what it was doing. 16.9 MPG.

Trips are just to easy to check. Got to fill it to go and when I get off the freeway. I don't know why I always check on trips.

#6 ·
I use tow/haul when off road, towing/hauling up steep hills, and whenever. Want a little more throttle response.
One of my keys for my 03, can be pulled out same as yours, the one I use does not. So I guess I'm using the previous owners spare as my regular key. I also carry a third spare hidden underneath in a spot that is hard to get too. I used to have a lockable container that slides into the hitch receiver. Worked nice

Off topic, when I worked at Midas I was amazed at how many people have hide a keys under they're car, I commented on the good placement of one such key to the owner and he had no idea it was there. Which was funny because he was the original owner.

Anyway.
I try not to think about milage, because mine is terrible and makes me sad
But the faster you go, more fuel gets burned, and vehicles are geared to have peak efficacy at 30 and 50 mph.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.