looking for 454

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

looking for 454

Postby Cburg [OP] » September 15th 2013, 3:45am

I hope this post does not upset anyone as it is not about my Safari but rather my old 86 Georgie-Boy RV

I am posting here because you guys know a lot about a lot of things and I need some help finding a replacement Motor.

I have begun to pull the old (1986) 454 from the beast. It is no small undertaking. I have well over 20hours into it so far and I am only about 75% ready to pull. I spent 5 hours today just getting the radiator out.

I need help to find just what engine to put back in once I get it out. I am going to pull the tranny too, so I may either get it rebuild or change that out as well. This is a big beast as it weighs in at 10500lb. but I am not sure I need a 454. Here are some questions I would like you input on....

1) my engine is carburetored. Could I go to fuel injected?
1b) how what needs done to go fuel infected?
2) what size engine would you use?
3) what would be a good engine/tranny combo?
4) what is a good source for engines and or trannies?
5) Since there is 2in hole in the side of the oil pan I am thinking this block is shot for I am starting from the beginng so rebuilding what I have is out.

Thanks for all your input ....

Cburg
Original Poster [OP]
Cburg
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Cburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: AWD High Top

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: looking for 454

Postby crusader1xxx » September 15th 2013, 3:58am

5) Since there is 2in hole in the side of the oil pan I am thinking this block is shot for I am starting from the beginng so rebuilding what I have is out.

1. I would stay away from trying to convert to fuel injection, because you need the ecm and all that goes with it. Unless you can find a good donor vehicle that has everything... stick to the carb, going to be way easier to swap motors

2. for more size if the vehicle ran well with the 454 stick with that anything smaller will feel underpowered...

4. I would start at your local wrecking yard and see what they have. A good low mileage motor is usually pretty cheap. Failing that if you have the funds a good create motor can work as well, but be prepared to spend $$$ on it

5. Only way to tell for sure is to take it apart and have a look. With two holes, sounds like something went catastrophically wrong :doh:

Hope this helps
crusader1xxx
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: crusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full yearscrusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full yearscrusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full yearscrusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full yearscrusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full yearscrusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full yearscrusader1xxx has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Andy
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: RwD

Postby AstroWill » September 15th 2013, 4:14am

Cburg wrote:

Thanks for all your input ....

Cburg

How much do you want to spend is the question that comes to mind.

Usually the easiest is to replace with the same. Fuel injection can be fun, but if you are asking, you probably want to stay with a carb.

Junkyard, local PNP are the best place for cheap parts.

Wait until you have it out as you will have to take a look at the block to see if it is destroyed. Might be best to rebuild what you have.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Postby Cburg [OP] » September 15th 2013, 5:11am

Well the RV is a 1986 so I do not want to put o whole lot into it. But the frame is good and inside is in good shape and I love this old thing. So if I put 2 grand in it and I know I will have it for awhile then that is what I will do.
Original Poster [OP]
Cburg
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: Cburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full yearsCburg has been a member for 8 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » September 16th 2013, 4:07am

See if you can find a 454/tranny combo from a delivery truck or another RV - they're generally the heavier-duty versions that will deal with the weight of the RV better and, if your Georgie Boy is anything like the 70s versions, it's heavy.

Stay carbureted, as advised above. Going to fuel injection will cause another nightmare in wiring and computer control.

And don't get a smaller engine. Not only will it wear out faster and annoy you by being underpowered, it'll get lower fuel mileage because it'll be straining all the time.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby chevymaher » September 16th 2013, 11:07am

Leeann_93 wrote:
Stay carbureted, as advised above. Going to fuel injection will cause another nightmare in wiring and computer control.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
And not just if it is a RV.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:poke: :poke: :poke:
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby astroracer » September 16th 2013, 11:31am

Unless you fall face first into a kickazz deal 2 grand is not going to go far... Sorry. Do a search for 454 crate motors. You will also want to rebuild the trans while it is out. Is there an Over Drive unit? If not that would be an option to replace the current TH400. A 4L80e (the only option for a vehicle this heavy other then a Gear Vendors unit) with a controller, will cost around 4 grand...
As much work as it is to change this out you probably don't want to go cheap.
If you find a rebuildable BBC, build it for lowend torque. Put in a stroker kit, take it out to 496 and use a good RV cam and torque converter.
Mark
1994 Astro with an LT1 350 (Ron Burgundy)
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby Mmusicman » September 16th 2013, 3:49pm

Gas mileage with BIG blocks is always a concern (especially when traveling) ... however it will take a certain amount of fuel to push you down the road... regardless of engine size. I completely agree with the others suggesting to stay with a big block.

For starters, everything already fits and bolts up. Secondly as mentioned, a smaller engine will strain to do the same work. Torque is essential for moving larger vehicles.

Fuel injection is the ultimate setup... and you could go with an aftermarket system. The biggest advantage would be fuel mileage, and a little more power if needed. The problem is that it would take years of any mileage gains to offset the heafty pricetag.

Carberuation would be my preference, is simple, reliable, inexpensive, and you're already setup for it. A big block can be optimized for proper fuel consumption with carburetors and proper camming. A low rpm torque cam is essential! You want your torque peak within your cruizing RPM range. Near stock will be best.

Next, proper jetting of carbs is also essential! Optimum fuel/air mixture can be monitored with an inexpensive O2 sensor/gauge setup and easily installed. I'd highly recommend headers (improved performance & mileage)... then tap the O2 sensor at the collector, or shortly after.

I ran a supercharged 502 BB chevy and got 13-14mpg in the mountains! I had to jet 10 sizes down to get proper A?F mixture. This is better gas mileage than I'm currently getting in my Astro with an engine a fraction of the size.

Big block sizes are interchangeable too (396,427,454,502) for the most part. But I say... the bigger the better.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 72
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Cburg [OP] » September 17th 2013, 4:20pm

Well I do not have the 454 out yet but the weekend is coming up and It should be out then. I sort of guessed about the fuel-injection being expensive and a pain so most likely will stay the way I am now.
I am not sure if I have overdrive on the tranny or not. I am guessing not. So I will look into the cost.
Someone said go with an RV combo but my concern is that I would be back in the same boat later on.
I am thinking now about a short block, doing the heads and rebuilding the carb. Headers? have to look at the budget.

I want to at least rebuild the Tranny so it may be awhile before things go back together.
So now it is a case between time and coins to get ready for spring.

I will post a few pic if to let you see the big cave I am carving out.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Original Poster [OP]
Cburg
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):