What have you done to/with your van today?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done to/with your van today?

Postby AstroSurf » May 29th 2021, 4:19pm

sixsix wrote:

AstroSurf wrote:I think I’m going to fill the inside with spray foam once I paint the inside.

May want to rethink surrounding all your work in...
- "Impregnable-Wish I had never used that-What was I thinking-Never thought I would have to chop thru this F---'g Foam".

Might Batting, blown in or Wool, what not, do the same, but fussier ?

UPDATE - N. Kentucky...
Yet Another Post of Boring Old Year(s)long Door Rebuild And Gravel ( aka - YAP BOY(s) DRAG )

see here in our "Build Thread":
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 2#p1586612

PREVIEW ALERT!!
2092 PS Dr Panel & Parts cleanup

Gratuitous Build Thread Promotional Data...
You have to go there to get bored.

I think you may be right about the spray foam…gotta rethink that. :confused:

And, I need to check out that build thread, for sure. :rockon:
AstroSurf
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): AstroSurf
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Mmusicman » May 30th 2021, 5:51pm

My 92 finally let me down. Driving along a local street I hear a bang.. then suddenly lose power-steering and see my alternator light is on. I'm hoping it's just a belt because I always carry a spare. Quickly pull into a church parking lot under a huge shade tree, in case I have to fix it, or wait on a tow truck.

Open hood to see a sight I've never seen before, a crooked pulley and loose belt. Upon further inspection I discover water-pump shaft snapped. Good news is that the pulley is SO close to the electric fan, that it trapped the pulley and prevented it from being ejected. That at least, was VERY good to see.

The other good news is that it happened on the way home AFTER a gig.. and not while on the way to it, or I would not have made it to the gig which would have cost me a lot.

It's also VERY disappointing now to learn this pump that broke is the Tuff Stuff high-performance high-volume pump I just installed new last year, with very low mileage. I will be on the phone with them Tuesday...

Here's a photo of me earlier at some small warehouse show in Boca Raton,
just an hour before I broke my water-pump...

20210529_103027.jpg

194509910_2903812453170182_.jpg

The AAA tow home was un-eventful.. young tow guy was super nice and really liked the van too. Got me home in time to get on the bike for an awesome car show down on Fort Lauderdale beach...

20210529_142138.jpg

Looks like my 2000 is now going to be my gig van again, for a short little while... :D

-----------------------------

On a separate note: my 2000 has suddenly just developed some new issues...
(it's been doing SO well)

* Lifter starting ticking on startup. At least that's what it sounds like, and hoping it's not cracked flexplate. The sound soon goes away.

* Suddenly also starting rough, on 5 cylinders (not related to tick)... after about 30 seconds the 6th cylinder sputters and kicks in, and it runs perfect for the rest of the day. Baffling, because new distro, new ACDeclo cap and rotor, new plugs, new wires.

* Here's the worse one: On the highway last week see temp suddenly shooting up, and I immediately pull over. Everything looks fine under hood, cool down and continue driving. Temp keeps spiking up and down. Thinking it might be a sticking thermostat, which would be an easy fix. When I get home I discover more than a gallon low on coolant. Now it's slowly drinking coolant (no leaks that I've found yet) which leads me to believe it might possibly be a bad intake gasket. Not looking forward to that! With 240K, this probably wouldn't be surprising.

I'm off this week for vacation, and for the first time in my life I had planned on staying home and doing projects. I can see it's going to be a work vacation, with a few added jobs I hadn't planned on.

Cheers!

PS: Here's a couple quick "unrelated photos" from our Great American Beach Party car show today..
I hope you don't mind. (click any photo to zoom)
Despite the little problems, life is pretty good!
After being towed home.. here was the rest of my afternoon...
(sorry no bikini shots... but there were plenty of eye-candy!)

20210529_165302.jpg

New high-end mid-engine Vette.. (waiting list to get these..lol)
20210529_165324.jpg

20210529_165117_04.jpg

20210529_155839.jpg

Some big stage national entertainment coming in later in the day..
20210529_155527.jpg

This was my ride to the show parked under the DJ booth, with a buddy I work with...
20210529_154058a.jpg

20210529_155337.jpg

Personal friends and their Model-A's
Parked in front of the world famous Elbo Room on corner Las Olas/A1A Fort Lauderdale Beach..
20210529_155312.jpg

This was our last year's show...
BeachBlast2019.jpg

Normally show directly on A1A beach, but downscaled this year due to covid.. lol
And finally a pretty cool aerial shot of this year's show, from Elbo Room 2nd floor...
20210529_155013.jpg

Hope you're enjoying your Memorial Day holiday weekend!
I'm off to another gig here today shortly..

Quick 2 minute video of my afternoon...

Last edited by Mmusicman on May 30th 2021, 7:24pm, edited 2 times in total.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L6)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 75
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby LumaWJ » May 30th 2021, 7:05pm

Your Van looks super clean, very nice!!!
just to have a fun!
Jeeping is my life
LumaWJ
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Luma
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3l AWD 1GNEL19W8SB

Postby Leeann_93 » May 31st 2021, 4:38am

Dang…who’d you make mad???

Drove mine over to the Eastern Shore to visit family and play with a couple toys. In the 53° weather with 15-20 mph winds and driving mist. Not a pleasant day, but the van performed perfectly.

And got 16.8 mpg despite me having a heavy foot ;-)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Mmusicman » June 2nd 2021, 8:23pm

UPDATE ON BROKEN WATER-PUMP:
Holiday weekend is finally over, and I finally got some time to tackle this project, and see what happened.

Here's how it looked when I first opened the hood.
As you can see, the pulley is trapped between the pump and the fan.
Surprisingly, no damage to anything, and my pulley was not ejected...
20210531_181247.jpg

Turns out the shaft did NOT snap (as I had surmised), but rather the press-on hub slid off the shaft...
20210531_182712.jpg

The hub still tightly attached inside the pulley...
20210531_182647.jpg

My vintage Gatorback belt was not damaged either... :D
Gatorback Belt.jpg

This is my work space.. (only 2 brace/bolts and 1 connector to unhook the electric fan)
20210531_182832a.jpg

Remove alternator and bracket for additional easy access.. (two easily accessible nuts on studs)
20210601_170412.jpg

Remove pump.. scrape and clean water-ports (I always install my gaskets dry)..
20210601_173432.jpg

So far, a pretty easy job.
All cleaned up and ready for new pump.

While things are apart and accessible, I wanted to be sure there were no issues that I might not be seeing. All the accy pulleys are fine. Took measurements with dial-indicator to be sure crank-pulley and harmonic-balancer were also good, and/or not damaged when the situation occurred. Both seem to be ok, although I found no specific spec info (just typical website stuff)...
20210601_175052.jpg

While rummaging through the garage, I found a nice ($300) #64266 Summit Racing high-performance balancer I had bought for my 400sb many years back. The counter-weight is removable for use with 350 small-block (even says 350 on the balancer). I've decided to replace the stock 50-year-old harmonic balancer (even though it measures and seem fine) with something a little newer and hopefully better...
20210602_131432.jpg

So... what caused the water-pump hub failure? Million dollar question!
Turns out it's not totally uncommon on the internet.
But in all my years however, it has never happened to me!
They are pressed on with a lot of force, and I've never seen one come apart.

I've previously run GMB pumps on this engine for years however, without issue.
I've also never had an issue with any of these accys when they were on the V6.

There is NO mechanical fan attached to the pump... the pulleys, accys, stock tensioner, and belt all turn nice a smooth.
Nothing out of the ordinary when this happened.. and luckily I wasn't on the interstate highway yet.

My luck, the Tuff Stuff high-volume water pump 1 year warranty ran out 2 month ago. But I contacted the Tuff Stuff Performance company and explained my story and situation, and they said they'd be more than happy to take care of me and send me a replacement. Typically, they said, there can often be other factors that can often cause a pump to be damaged or fail.. most common would be bad or out of balance mechanical fan, which I don't have. Since this uses the serpentine belt system with factory tensioner, there is no way to adjust anything wrong either. My pulleys and belt all turn smooth. I also have less than 1000 miles on this engine since pump installation.

The company rep was very adamant and proud about their dedication to the quality of their USA built performance products. Looking at their product you can tell too. But rather than inconvenience me boxing a return, they merely asked for a couple photos so they might be able see what might have gone wrong. We all know it's not a perfect world, and even the best products can have a failure. Failure can happen, but how you deal with them says a lot. I was VERY pleased when I got off the phone.

So I'm cleaned up and ready, and waiting for the new pump to arrive...
(slow day I'm on vacation doing home/auto projects this time)
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Rustbelt_mVan » June 2nd 2021, 8:54pm

Excellent write-up and another WIN for the Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elite. Greatest Serpentine Belt in the history of Serpentine Belts, maybe ever
Rustbelt_mVan
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: LT RWD

Postby sixsix » June 2nd 2021, 9:55pm

Nice save Scott...

Mmusicman wrote:Surprisingly, no damage to anything, and my pulley was not ejected...
"1 Nautilus died, BLM spawned, Antifa runs amok
- CRT & unions have taken schools by storm
THEN:
Not a single "Black" "Leader" condemns Black Crime
- White Supremacists get blamed for it all - they sure do get around"
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 39
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Big_kid » June 2nd 2021, 10:53pm

Im glad to see they stood by their product!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Mmusicman » June 10th 2021, 8:26pm

My TUFF-STUFF Hi-Volume 1675N warranty replacement water pump
(for my 92) quickly arrived last week. They took care of me...

Painted:
20210606_123859.jpg

Installed:
20210606_131528.jpg

Nothing special..
Job for this one was simple.

-----------------------------------------------

My 2000 has me a little concerned (with almost 250K)

* Sticking lifter stopped sticking (haven't done oil flush and change yet)
* Read code showing #5 cylinder misfires (new plugs wires cap rotor distro)
* Still suddenly drinking coolant, but not leaking it. Oddly, holds pressure for days

I suspect some coolant might be getting into #5, causing the morning rough start.
Like I said, it clears up very quickly, and runs great rest of day.

I purchased a leak-down tester, and I'm expecting the worse. Nothing unusual happened, other than it started running rough on initial startup, then quickly clears up. I pulled #5 plug and it looks perfect. I am currently temporarily running a no-pressure cap (center removed) which seems to be helping in a few different ways (massive performance radiator and 180 stat keep it nice and cool). I will probably do the leak-down test this weekend...

This van has been SO trouble-free for me this past year... I knew something had to happen

The issue is minor, I may have to live with it. I drive it daily and it does well, expect now for this inconvenience. I might attempt a chemical solution. It's not time for the V8 upgrade yet! lol
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Mmusicman » June 14th 2021, 6:12pm

My 2000:
* Tested and discovered minor blown head-gasket #5 (245K miles)
* Oil flush and change (hoping to fix random sticking lifter)
* Dead battery this morning (possible bad alternator)

My 92:
* Replaced warranty water-pump (see post above)

Head-gasket post: https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=146818
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » June 14th 2021, 9:52pm

Forgot - took her down Saturday and filled up the tank, then got her a quickie wash & wax.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Dead Roman » June 15th 2021, 2:39am

Found some nice little oil puddles and blown CV boots underneath our 2week since purchase 05 toyota sienna minivan
Dead Roman
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Dead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full yearsDead Roman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):

Postby WildBorego » June 15th 2021, 3:43am

Finally replaced my broken windshield of course there is rust on the front but the installer added extra urethane to the glass so I should be good to go.
Next thing is limo tint all the way around.
WildBorego
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): George
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 4.3L SLX RWD

Postby Big_kid » June 15th 2021, 6:51pm

It wasn't today, but recently I've added some outlets to the panel above the radio. I've not had a chance to try them out yet, but there are now 2 2.1 amp USB charging ports, a 12 volt receptacle, and a voltmeter where the blank plates used to be.

:text-worthless:

Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » June 15th 2021, 10:05pm

Very Manly Power Dash there now, Big.
"1 Nautilus died, BLM spawned, Antifa runs amok
- CRT & unions have taken schools by storm
THEN:
Not a single "Black" "Leader" condemns Black Crime
- White Supremacists get blamed for it all - they sure do get around"
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full yearssixsix has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 39
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Mmusicman » June 15th 2021, 11:31pm

Mmusicman wrote:My 2000:

Turns out NO issue with the alternator, it is performing perfectly and charging to full capacity.
What was odd is that with the key off, it was the same red light I get when accy is on (which is kind of funky on my ignition). I don't know if the ignition switch can have an issue or not. It's now a mystery...
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Big_kid » June 16th 2021, 2:30am

Similar to my issue- I tend to leave the radio on so when I turn off the ignition I KNOW the accessory position is off. I've killed the battery more than once (and I'm sure it happened while the van was my daughter's DD). I've even seen it settle overnight and make connection. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment on the linkage from the key to the switch. There's a LOT of play in my shift linkage too, has been since I got the van. I've not looked into it yet, it's only been 13 years.

In other news, the phone charger port seems to work really well. my phone went up by 10% over a 3 mile ride tonight. I know, pics...

Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » June 16th 2021, 3:17am

Mmusicman wrote:
Mmusicman wrote:My 2000:

Turns out NO issue with the alternator, it is performing perfectly and charging to full capacity.
What was odd is that with the key off, it was the same red light I get when accy is on (which is kind of funky on my ignition). I don't know if the ignition switch can have an issue or not. It's now a mystery...

The '97 ign switch was a serious problem in Blazer/Jimmy/Bravada/S10, but it can be an issue in all vans. They do chafe and otherwise wear out. Key cylinders will wear out, as well. The one on my '99 and on my '05 both wore out.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby Rod's Trucks » June 16th 2021, 3:54am

Poor ignition switch quality is a known GM thing.
The Saturns also had issues with the ignition switches becoming intermittent. I think a lot of starters were replaced prematurely due to that failure mode ( ignition switch starter contacts failing).
GM said it was because people hung too many trinkets, on the rings along with the necessary keys.
I used to see ladies come in with a pound of odd stuff on the key rings when they dropped off their car, and they usually needed help getting just the one key loose for us to service the vehicle.
Rod J
Issaquah, WA
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rod's Trucks has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby elusivepastry » June 16th 2021, 6:56am

Today I ripped out the old ratty, playa dust-encrusted carpet from my Astro Tiger RV, getting some new vinyl flooring tomorrow to install :)
Attachments
IMG_1976.jpeg
IMG_1979.jpeg
elusivepastry
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: Provan Tiger XL

PreviousNext