Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What have you done to/with your van today?

1M views 17K replies 709 participants last post by  bryancraftyhands 
#1 ·
The Jeep forum I'm on has this thread. Thought I'd bring it here. The idea is to post quick little things that really aren't special enough to have their own thread.

I go first.

Seven (my new parts van): Removed the rear drive shaft and mounted two donuts in the front. Then towed it to my brothers house.

Loaded up nicely, once Grumpy was used to shove it up the ramps.

Uhaul thinks we're moving a Dodge Neon. They won't rent tow dollies to move an Astro, they are supposed to be too wide.

The only good reason to use donuts on an Astro.

Plenty of room now.

We didn't bring Grumpy to the unload point and couldn't push Seven off the dolly. Our solution, set it's parking brake and pull the dolly out from under it. Worked beautifully. Unfortunately I didn't take pics or video of that.

See less See more
#4 ·
Great pictures ihatemybike, thanks. I just don't understand why you didn't just upload them here like AstroAustin suggested to you. Those links may become obsolete or deleted in time. Great pictures none the less, thanks.:)

#5 ·
webcat said:
nice rear window , was somebody shooting at you?
Haha yeah, that window is interesting. It was like that when I bought it, guess the PO didn't like the thought of paying to have it really replaced.

#9 ·
Thats a pretty nice looking parts Van or at least whats left. :cool:
Drove it today(running awesome!) and wished my window motors were working..........hopefully in the next week! I was wishing it wasn't so damn rusty, so I could justify putting a lift on it. (Really wanna know if I can fit 235/75/r15's on there without a lift? And without damaging anything?)

#10 ·
Got the pneumatic/hydraulic jack and regular ol' jack stands out of it this morning to help drop the tank on my Bravada - 'cause I had to replace the fuel pump. What a chore...

Then put 'em back in ;)

#11 ·
P71CVMAN said:
Thats a pretty nice looking parts Van or at least whats left.
Yeah, the guy that bought it for the front sheet metal before me should have fixed what was wrong with the engine instead. I've seen the before pictures and I think he would have made a decent return on the flip.

#13 ·
ihatemybike said:
The Jeep forum I'm on has this thread. Thought I'd bring it here. The idea is to post quick little things that really aren't special enough to have their own thread.
Going along with this idea, this weekend's tasks are:

-replace rear brake line (master cylinder to axle)
-finishing the side pipe install
-fixing transmission leak
-starting ram air hood

Sorry, no pics.

#17 ·
well, it wasnt today, but it was close enough.

sat, i pulled apart the insides of my slide door, the conversion (champion coach or something like that) company used some cheapo plastic to hide the white metal underneath, the plastic had the miniblinds attached to it (otherwise i would have just pulled the entire window frame plastic out!) up top and do make the slide door look aesthetically pleasing. the plastic creaks and croaks when driving, esp in hotter weather. ive tried alot of things, painted antiseze on the entire plastic back side that touches the paint/door, but this time was the winner. i fig that the leading edges around the window could be a cuplrit, so i went to wallymart and picked up some 3$ rools of closed cell foam weatherstripping. 3/16 wide, i took a sharpie and trace around the frame, then cleaned surface on the paint/door, applied foam the entire circle around where the plastic frame could even come close to touching the door. re assemble, and :banana: yay. no creaks, or plastic sounds!! i was so happy, that i washed the van (to have it storm a few hours later). but my hockey team won (both games) and it evened out the karma. all ends well.

#18 ·
astro355 said:
P71CVMAN said:
New rule..........can't speak of sidepipes or custom hood scoop unless you have pics! :naughty:
Sorry, I either have time to do the work or take pictures, which do you prefer?
You do the work first..........but eventually we are going to die without pics here....
:lol:

Dropped the Van off at my buddies house who is replacing the power window motors for me. Nicest guy ever! :rockon:

#21 ·
ugh, let an employer use the van to transport supplies. she steered into a wooden post and messed up the trim on the sliding door. !*@&!!! another battle for another day.

changed both idler arms, rotated tires, greased steering, reglued rear lift hatch weatherstripping and cleaned the crap out of her.

#22 ·
Let's see... back wheel froze up on the Neon so at the last minute I had to drive the van to class. I hadn't driven the Neon since sunday morning and didn't know about the wheel until I had to leave for class. Anyway, hopped in the van, drove to school. No big deal right? WRONG. Stepped out during class break to find my drivers-side pop-out window GONE.... at least not in one piece like I'd left it. :screaming: :screaming: The guy was looking for me and told me what had happened (wind caught his door as he was opening it. Believable since mine slammed as I shut it) and apologized so I mellowed out some. Cleaned up the glass and finished the class, so once I got home I put the old sideglass back in, now it looks all jacked up. :crying: So I guess the agenda after class tomorrow is to get the glass swept out of the van and finish the brakes on the Neon. Damn chryslers. If it weren't for that the glass wouldn't have gotten smashed. :banghead: Anyone have a spare factory tinted first-gen side pop-out laying around? :chevy:

#26 ·
Black89cs said:
Indeed... I failed to mention that when we had the said Neons wheel off I found a nail in the tire. I think I should've stayed in bed today.. :|
I wanted to change one brake hose that turned into replacing all brake hoses and lines. :banana: And then I looked at the rust under there, so much for wanting to do anything else.