What have you done to/with your van today?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Re: What have you done to/with your van today?

Postby Rod's Trucks » November 9th 2020, 6:38am

I just finished installing some inexpensive 'Americus" brand LT235/75R15 10ply rated tires.
The tires that can with my van about three years ago, were 215/75's and were worn unevenly on the inside edges when I bought the van. The PO had rotated the fronts to the rear, and then done a lot of front end work and had it aligned, so that accounted for most of the uneven wear. I subsequently replaced the steering gear, and had another alignment done.
I decided to take a chance on these because I liked the 10ply rating, the price ( less than $100 each from an E-bay seller with free shipping), and the fairly aggressive tread pattern. They have a 40K tread wear warranty, but I will probably tear them up or they will rot before that many miles.
I do not put a lot of miles on this van. I only average about 2K per year, but what I do is with a lot of it off pavement; logging and forest roads and gravel county roads, which can be hard on tires.
I have done the 2inch body lift with pucks and JOR shackles, and I am getting some minor rubbing with the front wheels turned to near full lock. The rubbing is on the pinch weld, which can be fairly easily ''adjusted'.
I had already removed the front bumper and side cladding so that is not a rub issue, and the replacement 'cargo' lower wheel well trims are not showing any signs of rubbing, but I have not stressed the suspension yet.
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • roof rack I got today
    by markmitch » October 31st 2020, 2:07am in Exterior
    9 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 2nd 2020, 2:39am
  • Adding a Maxi-fused Appliance to your Factory Fuse Box
    by WinnieVan » August 25th 2020, 2:17am in Electrical
    10 Replies
    Last post by Sailing_Faith View the latest post
    September 9th 2020, 6:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    November 25th 2020, 9:29am

Postby icebrrg3rd » November 9th 2020, 9:57pm

Well, found the wire that was "broken". The PO had just wrapped the two wires together and taped them, so when I was moving the wiring harnesses around I must have pulled it loose. One crimp connector later and my radio now has a memory. I also got some pics of the "new" dash in, I don't have the doghouse cover on because I'm waiting on some new plug wires to be delivered. I put new plugs in when I did the swap a few years ago but just reused the wires because they looked good. But on Sat when I was doing the fuel pressure regulator, I leaned over from the passenger side floor and blipped the throttle cable while leaning on the dizzy and touching a metal bracket and I felt it thru my sleeve. Tingly! Guess I should replace them. Whatever, here's the pics.

2020-11-09_NewDash01.jpg

2020-11-09_NewDash02.jpg

I do have the grey speaker covers, but I put my red ones back in just to go with the two-tone look. But overall, it looks great, and now I need to make the rest of the van look this nice.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 49
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby Rod's Trucks » November 9th 2020, 10:20pm

iceberg...
It looks good.
Maybe the next rip to the P' n' P you might look for a better windshield, or is what looks like a long crack, just an optical illusion?
Rod J
Rod's Trucks

Postby Leeann_93 » November 9th 2020, 11:41pm

Looks great, Andrew - and yeah, get those plug wires replaced.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby icebrrg3rd » November 10th 2020, 12:14am

Rod's Trucks wrote:iceberg...
It looks good.
Maybe the next rip to the P' n' P you might look for a better windshield, or is what looks like a long crack, just an optical illusion?
Rod J

Yeah, it's ben cracked for years. Looking at the frame around the windshield there is some rust, and I've been told most likely the windshield was replaced and they scratched the paint removing it, leaving it to rust. And with that rust, most windshield places won't repair unless it's fixed, and not with bondo. I wanted to do it this year but this year just didn't go like planned. Maybe next year...

-Andrew

icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years

Postby 90safari » November 10th 2020, 7:32pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:
Rod's Trucks wrote:iceberg...
It looks good.
Rod J

Yeah, it's ben cracked for years. Looking at the frame around the windshield there is some rust, and I've been told most likely the windshield was replaced and they scratched the paint removing it, leaving it to rust. And with that rust, most windshield places won't repair unless it's fixed, and not with bondo. I wanted to do it this year but this year just didn't go like planned. Maybe next year...

-Andrew

My 88 had a long crack like that, and a newer one coming from the other side of the van. I had a new windshield put in it, and was very happy to see that there was NO rust on the framework. None at all. The glass guy was doing 2 windshields for me that day, and found some rust under the glass in my wife's 2000 Accord. He told me his company couldn't warranty that one due to the rust, but my van was covered (no rust). His company also did my 99 Accord, and found no rust under it.

Andy, the dash looks good. :D
Bob 88 Astro cs and Sue 90 Safari
90safari
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: 90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years90safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1990
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: plus an 88 Astro

Postby AstroWill » November 10th 2020, 8:32pm

icebrrg3rd wrote:I also got some pics of the "new" dash in

Looks good! Bet you are glad that is over with, they can be a real PITA.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore them & go about your business.
What has two thumbs and is living in your head rent-free? We hereby claim that it's this guy! Image
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense

Postby Rod's Trucks » November 11th 2020, 7:27am

HAPPY HAPPY DAY! :D
I found a matching green fender!
I've been halfhearted watching for a straight Forest Green Metallic right front fenders since I bought the van three years ago.
The van came with a soft crease up high, and crunched a bit on the wheel well lip down near the bumper end.
I spotted a new listing for a late model green van in a P' n' P, and made the 60 mile journey that day.
SCORE!
The timing was poor, because day before was a 50% off day that I missed, and the next day I received a flyer in the mail for "$25 Bumpers, Fenders and Doors". Oh well, but I snagged a pristine fender with paint that matches for $50. It is difficult to complain about that deal.
This gallery picture shows fender crease and crunch:

I will show the replacement next week or so, when I get it installed
I am going to be out in the woods trying out the new treads and doing radio stuff all this weekend, so it will be a few days before I put it on.

Rod J
Rod's Trucks

Postby icebrrg3rd » November 11th 2020, 9:32pm

Great find Rod! Not having to paint is worth the wait and trip, too bad you missed the sales. I've found out that if you wait for a sale, sometimes you miss out on the part.

-Andrew

icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Leeann_93 » November 11th 2020, 10:36pm

Sorry you missed the sales, but a perfect match, perfect condition fender for $50 is nothing to sneeze at.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » November 11th 2020, 10:56pm

Dang, Andy - That looks really nice.

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “May be hard to believe... President Trump should rest easy and concede what was in fact a foregone conclusion: Another OLD MAN won with only about 50% of the Change Believers/Fools showing up."

sixsix
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Big_kid » November 12th 2020, 12:17am

That dash... NICE!!! I picked all the foam off mine and left it as is. I'll do a V8 swap, but I don't think I'd tackle that job. Looks awesome!

Matching fender from PNP? SCORE!!!
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby vangogo » November 12th 2020, 6:13pm

Its been 10 years, so I decided to do a tune-up (cap, rotor, pugs wires). So much easier accessing the plugs with the 2" body lift!
PASTAFARI
vangogo
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: vangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full yearsvangogo has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): VanGoGo
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: LS 4.3 V6 AWD

Postby Mmusicman » November 12th 2020, 7:53pm

vangogo wrote:So much easier accessing the plugs with the 2" body lift!

DAMN STRAIGHT!

Here's how my spark plug change looks (I don't even pull the tire either)...
Both sides wide open..

20200920_091502 copy.jpg
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Big_kid » November 13th 2020, 1:39am

I got it back today! It's been my daughter's DD again for a month or two, It wasn't here when I left home at 6:00 this morning, but it was here when I got back at 6:00 this evening. It was rainy and windy when I got home, and after driving all day I really didn't feel like looking at it. Hopefully there's not another pile of Cocoa Puffs, but I'm not holding my breath. I know how it is with a toddler and a preschooler. Maybe now I can get it in for an inspection and hopefully a driveway alignment. When I did the Colorado I got it well within tolerance, .05* total toe before, 0* after. I know, but the guy under the rack doesn't work for free. The printout says the wheel was crooked by .2*. I hadn't noticed.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby backinabox » November 13th 2020, 3:37am

You are a bigger man than I am my friend and a lucky one cause I don't know anyone I would entrust my Van to...glad it made it home, hopefully not too Toddler Terrorized....
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
backinabox
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Deano
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby backinabox » November 13th 2020, 4:01am

icebrrg3rd wrote:Well, found the wire that was "broken". The PO had just wrapped the two wires together and taped them, so when I was moving the wiring harnesses around I must have pulled it loose. One crimp connector later and my radio now has a memory. I also got some pics of the "new" dash in, I don't have the doghouse cover on because I'm waiting on some new plug wires to be delivered. I put new plugs in when I did the swap a few years ago but just reused the wires because they looked good. But on Sat when I was doing the fuel pressure regulator, I leaned over from the passenger side floor and blipped the throttle cable while leaning on the dizzy and touching a metal bracket and I felt it thru my sleeve. Tingly! Guess I should replace them. Whatever, here's the pics.

2020-11-09_NewDash01.jpg

2020-11-09_NewDash02.jpg

I do have the grey speaker covers, but I put my red ones back in just to go with the two-tone look. But overall, it looks great, and now I need to make the rest of the van look this nice.

-Andrew

Reconditioning the dash is one of those things that brings a lot of satisfaction... hell it's what we see the whole time we are driving..it should please us
I like the two tone and it's in excellent shape...the two colors look at home together... real nice. :thumbup:
If you should ever want to go back to all burgundy you can have it painted. The paint I got from our supplier was a perfect match to the newer interior parts and seats I had already installed in my 78 G-Van. After 40 years in the AZ sun It went a from crappy 70's baby turd brown to the same Beautiful 90's burgundy as what's in your van and could pass as new
2004 Astro Rwd Cargo work in progress
2009 Colorado ext. Z71 4x4 5.3 V8 hotrod - Daily driver
1978 G20 Shorty Van -SOLD
1998 Astro AWD Cargo - MagnaFlow exhaust,Volant Cold Intake,Hellwig rear sway bar, 93 SS454 rims -SOLD
backinabox
Years of Membership: backinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full yearsbackinabox has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Deano
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: Cargo

Postby Mmusicman » November 13th 2020, 6:19pm

Yesterday I drove on a flooded road that was still under water.
Hurricane Eta dumped a lot of water in South Florida last weekend.

This was the extent of my involvement (don't get your hopes up.. it's not that exciting)
(video taken 4 days after water levels have subsided)

Here it is.... (drum roll)

2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby MechBob » November 14th 2020, 1:42am

Took winter van for a drive.To pick up a package,mail and a brew.It rewarded me by the dash lights not working,on the way home,in the dark.Not good to piss off your van,by letting it sit too much.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby Leeann_93 » November 14th 2020, 6:17pm

MechBob wrote:Took winter van for a drive. To pick up a package, mail and a brew. It rewarded me by the dash lights not working, on the way home, in the dark.Not good to piss off your van, by letting it sit too much.

Nope, they tend to get a little miffed if you let them sit. You have to be nicer to your vans, even in off-season, and drive them once in a while ;-)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext