A lil update on my Safari

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

A lil update on my Safari

Postby ianjpage [OP] » July 20th 2009, 5:00pm

Been a while since i posted on here since asking for help re all the issues i had!!

OK well in no particular order:

"Vauge Steering"
Spent some time with a mate checking it all out and we worked out what needed replacing so have just spent a shed load of money on:
New Inner & Outer Track rod ends (totally shot!)
Moog Idler Arms (both are worn and loose)
Plus other brake parts (Rear drums, Shoes & springs and front pads)
Hopefully means once it all fitted it be a bit better!

"Fluid Change Query"
Well its been several weeks and lots of mixed miles (normal town driving, cruising and towing) and it all seems good, nice and smooth changes, no hesitation and no slippage, will prob give it another change the end of this year just to keep ontop of it and try to prevent any further damage from happening.

"Driver Side Mirror"
Managed to find one that fitted over here so all good again now :)

"Engine Flat"
This was an interesting one - wayed up the options of breaking the cat up vs the cost of a new one and cos im so skint lately we decided to break the innnards of the cat up - that was a fun job - who the heck decided the CAT and "Y" pipe should be one bit AND have to come out BACKWARDS!!
When we broke he innards up - you couldn't see through it at all - was really chocked up.....
Have to say the van sounded sweeeeeeeeet running with just the "Y" pipe and cat on it (well come on we had to!) bit too noisy to use daily bt nice anyhow!
Got the cat punchyed through and back together - all wokring perfectly - the engine is back to full power, goes like a bullet now and as an added bonus it sounds a little bit better with no cat restricting it hehe - oh and uber bonues - not a single error code!!!!!!!!!!

So finally getting ontop of the problems with the van - the next few purchases are going to be
Rear Shocks
Wheel bearings
Ignition barrel

Anyone have recommendations, both good and bad for shocks please??

Cheers all
MKB - My home on the internet

Now Sold as it Died....1997 GMC Safari SLX, 4.3 V6, 210,000 miles and (just) still going!
Image <- Click for bigger version

Replaced with 1996 Chevy astro <- FOR SALE!
Original Poster [OP]
ianjpage
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): Ian
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: A lil update on my Safari

Postby Mr_Bowtie » July 20th 2009, 8:16pm

Sounds like you have been as busy with your Van as I have with mine. At least your getting things figured out and getting her running good again. My rear shocks are so bad they leaked out their fluid. So, I wouldn't mind hearing some recommendations too. Good work!!! :mrgreen:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby astro355 » July 20th 2009, 9:28pm

I use Monroe Sensatracs on mine. But...

The problem with our rearends is the design that GM used. GM alternated the shocks (one in front of the rear while the other behind it) to help control the roll of the axle during acceleration and help maintain proper pinion angles. Unfortunately, my sensatracs, which are 6 months old, are done because I have a heavy foot. I had to make some customs ladder bars (traction bars) just to keep the movement of the rearend from ruining the shocks. And then once the 9" goes in, I will fix everything.

But in all honesty, I would have to suggest a coilover. I just don't know which ones are better than others.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Leeann_93 » July 20th 2009, 11:55pm

I put the Monroe Load Adjusting (coilover) shocks on mine - and they're really, really nice. A little firm, but better cornering and anytime I've got a load or am towing.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby Matrixx » July 21st 2009, 8:08am

Hi ianjpage

You have been a busy bee for sure. I will have to get caught up with my front end stuff as well.

As for shocks, it really depends on your driving habits and the loads you carry. I use mine for long drives with light loads up very windy roads.

I have been using the Sensa-Tracs for about 8 or 9 years now, and I am very pleased (personally) with the comfort level and handling capabilities they have to them.

When I travel, I get down to business, so I don't "baby" it through corners (actually, I'm very pleased with them).

Just my opinions and comments on the subject. I'm sure others will chime in to help answer your question as well.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby ianjpage [OP] » September 29th 2009, 9:55am

ianjpage wrote:Been a while since i posted on here since asking for help re all the issues i had!!

OK well in no particular order:

"Vauge Steering"
Spent some time with a mate checking it all out and we worked out what needed replacing so have just spent a shed load of money on:
New Inner & Outer Track rod ends (totally shot!)
Moog Idler Arms (both are worn and loose)
Plus other brake parts (Rear drums, Shoes & springs and front pads)
Hopefully means once it all fitted it be a bit better!

"Fluid Change Query"
Well its been several weeks and lots of mixed miles (normal town driving, cruising and towing) and it all seems good, nice and smooth changes, no hesitation and no slippage, will prob give it another change the end of this year just to keep ontop of it and try to prevent any further damage from happening.

"Driver Side Mirror"
Managed to find one that fitted over here so all good again now :)

"Engine Flat"
This was an interesting one - wayed up the options of breaking the cat up vs the cost of a new one and cos im so skint lately we decided to break the innnards of the cat up - that was a fun job - who the heck decided the CAT and "Y" pipe should be one bit AND have to come out BACKWARDS!!
When we broke he innards up - you couldn't see through it at all - was really chocked up.....
Have to say the van sounded sweeeeeeeeet running with just the "Y" pipe and cat on it (well come on we had to!) bit too noisy to use daily bt nice anyhow!
Got the cat punchyed through and back together - all wokring perfectly - the engine is back to full power, goes like a bullet now and as an added bonus it sounds a little bit better with no cat restricting it hehe - oh and uber bonues - not a single error code!!!!!!!!!!

So finally getting ontop of the problems with the van - the next few purchases are going to be
Rear Shocks
Wheel bearings
Ignition barrel

Anyone have recommendations, both good and bad for shocks please??

Cheers all

Wow didn't realise it soooo long since i been on here....well further update....

Steering is all now sorted - fitted all the new parts and it now feels soooo much better - less slack and clunking - ended up replacing the lower ball joints as well as they were totally worn and shot - they were grinding away !!!

Fitted all the brake parts but still been having issues with the rear brakes rubbing on one side and binding on the other - have just this weekend fitted a new pair of slave cylinders so hopefully that resolve that (we belive the old ones were so coroded they were not sliding in/out properly).

Gearbox still seems to be fine (touch wood!) - changes no problems, no slippage or odd noises so hopefully all ok for a few moer miles now :D

Engine flat - well this is still a bit of an issue - its now not flat persay but is really not happy again - started misfiring etc - what i am planning on doing now is changing out the coil (already bought), fitting a new cat back in, changing all the O2 and Lambda sensors, clean the plugs (they are sub 4 months old platinum ones!) and see whats what then...

Ignition barrel - still to sort.
Shocks - same, still got to sort these
Wheel bearings - fronts were fine (checked when doing the other bits), rears ... not sure think they OK.

The only MAJOR problem i have now is my diff -- just going to post yup about that...

Now Sold as it Died....1997 GMC Safari SLX, 4.3 V6, 210,000 miles and (just) still going!

Original Poster [OP]
ianjpage
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: ianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full yearsianjpage has been a member for 11 full years

Postby ianjpage [OP] » April 14th 2010, 12:53pm

Well it had to end - the gearbox seems to be dead now - 215k aint bad though as i am pretty sure it's the original one!

will post a thread in the trans section re that now, other than that - the rest of the van aint changed much - just been driving it around a lot!!

Original Poster [OP]
ianjpage
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)

Postby astroturf » April 14th 2010, 1:21pm

ianjpage wrote:Well it had to end - the gearbox seems to be dead now - 215k aint bad though as i am pretty sure it's the original one!

will post a thread in the trans section re that now, other than that - the rest of the van aint changed much - just been driving it around a lot!!

Thanks for the update Ian. Good to hear from OLE members every now and again. How has your flat motor turned out? Thanks again, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby ianjpage [OP] » April 14th 2010, 2:10pm

astroturf wrote:
ianjpage wrote:Well it had to end - the gearbox seems to be dead now - 215k aint bad though as i am pretty sure it's the original one!

Thanks for the update Ian. Good to hear from OLE members every now and again. How has your flat motor turned out? Thanks again, Jim

Hi Jim

Yeah must post more regular :slapped hands for me lol:

Hmm well it was 'better' than it had been but recently (last few months) it been getting worse again...i'm very much in the mindset of 1 of 2 things will happen:

1 - the van gets sold as is..

2 - i repair the trans, axle, engine etc etc and do a mini (or not so mini lol) restoration on it..

Not sure which way to go yet...gunna depend on cost and timeframe...

cheers

ian

Original Poster [OP]
ianjpage
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)