Hydra-Boost help... brass can?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Hydra-Boost help... brass can?

Postby nopaybob [OP] » September 11th 2009, 5:25pm

I am in need of repair or replacement knowledge / assistance
This is what happens when you let your wife take your van!
When I went to rescue her and my van I found this along with a huge puddle under the van

As you can see the brass thingy is not positioned correctly anymore. I grabbed it and applied slight pressure and it did not appear to want to move it felt like it was solid in that position.
Is there a way to repair this malfuction or do you have to replace the whole thing?
1998 4.3 safari 108000 miles
recent repairs, water pump , had a slow leak around the power steering pump so I took it apart and put new seals in it , replaced power steering pressure line.
new cap button and plugs and wires. have drivin 1000 miles since last repair.

I think the brass thing is related to the hydraboost system it is attached to the firewall and the master cylinder is attached to it.
I looked through my haynes manual but it states this item reqires special tools and is beyond the scope of the shade tree mechanic
Any help would be great
Original Poster [OP]
nopaybob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: nopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Can't find EGR valve location
    by mutable » June 1st 2020, 3:15am in Exhaust
    4 Replies
    Last post by mutable View the latest post
    June 7th 2020, 9:56pm
  • can anyone identify these components
    by markmitch » June 1st 2020, 8:38pm in Electrical
    1 Replies
    Last post by Astrofarian View the latest post
    June 2nd 2020, 2:13pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 5:49am

Re: Hydra-Boost help... brass can?

Postby $uperJoe » September 11th 2009, 5:53pm

i dont know if that is a repairable item without specialty tools. it is the reserve canister to hold pressure so if the motor dies you will have 2-3 pushes of the brake pedal before it resorts back to manual brakes. i have no idea about how this would happen in normal driving. maybe you should ask if there was a near accident or panic braking or something
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):

Postby ASTROJOE LT1 » September 11th 2009, 6:27pm

Looks like you tapped it pretty hard when you were doing your power steering repair. It is press fit in during the manufacturing of the unit so I don't think it will seal up and hold the pressure if you just try to tap it back in. New units are very expensive ($450.00) but the Junk yards around here have a few of the newer style like you need in them.I have not tried to buy one of these but I think they usually ask around $50.00 to $75.00 for them.
89 ASTRO CL Shorty,95 Corvette LT1 Engine,4L60E, 3.42 Gears with a Torsen Posi,Black on Gray ( Original Color )
ASTROJOE LT1
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: ASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full yearsASTROJOE  LT1 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 95 LT1 Engine

Postby nopaybob [OP] » September 11th 2009, 7:20pm

I guess I will see if I can remove the unit.

It looks as there are 4 studs that go through the firewall and i assume will have nuts to remove way up under the dash .

Does anyone have links for the removal and installation, since my haynes manual is lacking the info?
If I can get this out without tearing anything up I will be going to the junkyard to find a replacement.
Original Poster [OP]
nopaybob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: nopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full yearsnopaybob has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby $uperJoe » September 11th 2009, 10:24pm

go to the junk yard first. that way if you mess something up you will have another van to practice on right next to that one. then when you get home to do yours you will be a pro
Don't explain it poorly 5 times. Take the 15 seconds to go out and take a picture of it!!
Please do not confuse idle conversation with technical advise

Check out my Van build
$uperJoe
Years of Membership: $uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years$uperJoe has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 59
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » September 12th 2009, 12:23am

$uperJoe wrote:go to the junk yard first. that way if you mess something up you will have another van to practice on right next to that one. then when you get home to do yours you will be a pro

:goodpost:
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby nopaybob [OP] » September 30th 2009, 5:57pm

I went to the junkyard and i found a 99 with the same setup the hydraboost only cost me 20 bucks! vs 400 for a remanufactured
Removal of the hydraboost is easy
1. remove the upper radiater hose
2. remove the 2 brake lines from the master cylinder
3. remove the master clylinder 2 nuts connect it to the hydra boost
4. remove high pressure line, return line and the power steering fluid supply hose from the top of the hydra boost unit
5. after you have your master cylinder off and hoses detached and pushed out of the way get a flash light and a small screwdriver
6. open up your drivers side door and look at your brake pedal follow the pedal up to where it connects to your brake switch and pushrod for the hydraboost.
7. there is a small metal clip that holds everything together the clip will partially rotate so you can get a good look on how to use your screwdriver to pop it off
8. remove the clip now you can separate the brake switch brake pedal and hydraboost rod
9. follow the rod that goes to the firewall there are 4 nuts in a square around the rod remove these
10. now go back under your hood you should be able to grab the hydraboost and pull it free from the firewall

install your new or used hydraboost system and the rest of the stuff above in the reverse order of removing them
check all your fluids antifreeze, brake fluid and power steering fluid.
I had to bleed the power steering by turning the wheel back and forth adding power steering fluid while running
i did not have to bleed the brake system but you may not be so lucky so check your brakes to be safe!

Take special care with the metal clip that holds your brake pedal, brake switch and hydraboost/brake rod together make sure its seated properly if you break it , bend it just get a new one remember if it comes off you have no brakes!

PLEASE NOTE i am only offering a replacement help guide and will not be responsible for any errors or idiots!
Last edited by nopaybob on October 1st 2009, 4:41pm, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
nopaybob
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby rev_les » October 1st 2009, 12:05am

PLEASE NOTE i am only offering a replacement help guide and will not be responsible for any errors or idiots!
:clap:

AA oughta put a disclaimer up on the site somewhere like that, lol
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby tommckay » October 1st 2009, 1:31am

Didn't have to bleed the brakes? Wow, I didn't think that was possible after this:
2. remove the 2 brake lines to the master cylinder

Odd.
Why do it if it ain't fun?
95 Astro Cargo (for winter and RC hauling)
90 Honda Goldwing (Ridden as much as possible)
07 Kia Rondo (Wife's car)
tommckay
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full yearstommckay has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 RWD Cargo

Postby astro355 » October 2nd 2009, 5:21am

tommckay wrote:Didn't have to bleed the brakes? Wow, I didn't think that was possible after this:
2. remove the 2 brake lines to the master cylinder

Odd.

Yeah, I would still bleed the brakes, especially anytime you remove the lines from the master cylinder. :shrug:
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4