New Van, and experiences.

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

New Van, and experiences.

Postby ALPO [OP] » December 8th 2009, 12:00am

Well my first few days with the Astro have gone better than expected, for an auction vehicle anyway. There are a few scapes on the outside (minor, not dents) and the interior looks new. My first tank of gas revealed good mileage (~20 MPG average driving) and what appears to be great range on a tank. I will try to list the issues one by one, maybe there is some knowledge out there that can help me.

The Rear Heater is not functioning, although the Rear Air is. Seems odd to have two separate blowers, one for Heating and another for cooling. The rear Wiper and Washers are not working, I checked Fuse 23 and it looked good. The front tires are 215/70/15’s (one being close to bald) and the rears are 215/75/15’s. The Rear is not a Limited Slip as I had hoped either. More on the lighter more curious side, I have “D42” as a optioned code which I believe was for a Luggage Shade but I do not even think these came with that (must be something else). I also have a “YD5” code which might indicate a locking Rear using the site referenced in another thread – but I doubt I got that one right either.

The only thing I have done so far was replace the Idler and Tensioner Pulleys, man they are loud when they are failing! Next I will be getting two new tires to match two of the better ones already mounted (Cooper Discovery H/T’s) to compete the set. I will pursue the Heater and Wiper Issues as I have the time, not absolutely required, but nice to have (electrical problems are difficult to diagnose). The vehicle has just over 100K miles so I priced a Tune-up, prices started about ~$350 replacing the Plugs, Cap, and Wires – a little expensive for now and it seems to be running if not just a little rough at ide. I will get the oil changed as I have no idea when that was last done. As for the Tranny, I have heard of issues being created when changing the fluid/filter being this high in mileage if it has not been done before, and I do not know that history either. I will look at replacing the bad Dash Lighting (Wiper Switch bulb and one of the two Heater/Air Switch bulbs) but I have heard on this site that they are a ***** to replace – but I am persistant. I will be looking for a Class III hitch for my towing my Boat (3500# Boat/Motor/Trailer). In the future I might even try to find a Limited Slip Rear to ensure Boat Loading goes with more confidence (those ramps can get slippery). Boating will not rear its head until spring at the earliest.

If there is any help for any of my issues out there, or a cheap limited Slip Rear, please feel free to chime in. I have been part of other forums of this nature and they have yielded much help in my endeavors. Looking forward to being part of this one. Thanks.
Original Poster [OP]
ALPO
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: ALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full yearsALPO has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro