Chevy Dealers - Your opinions...?

Forum rules
This is NOT the place to post topics that could be better classified in another category. Please make every attempt to post in an appropriate category before posting here.

Please help us keep topics organized by making an effort to find an appropriate category before posting here. More often than not the posts in this forum could be moved to a better suited category.

Chevy Dealers - Your opinions...?

Postby doyoulikeithere [OP] » February 23rd 2010, 6:24am

Hi There.
I was just reading what I felt was a horror story, here in the forum about a fellow who took his Astro to Wheaton GM.
It really sounded like Wheaton GM was trying to talk him into thinking he needed a whole new engine instead of a new distributor and an oil change. (6500 vs 450).

Recently, I was mailed a card from Baljet GM saying I needed to schedule a campain 94001 repair to my 87 Astro, at thier service centre.
I looked it up and its a recall for a faulty bolt in the reclining seat.
I was impressed that they recalled me after only just recently getting my VIN, So I called them up and scheduled a time for the recall work the next weekend.
The next W/E, I showed up and had to wait about a half hour to finish signing the van in with the guy, and then was told to come back in about an hour and a half.
I came back after about an hour to check up on it. I saw that it was only just getting pulled into the shop now!
Then the guy who signed it in spoke up and called me over to tell me that they did not have the bolt in stock, and that as soon as they were done washing the van I could leave.
It would have been nice if they could have checked on that before I wasted a few hours of my Saturday, but....Now I have to go back again and waste another Saturday morning.

As a rule I avoid the dealer at all cost, unless its free or someone else's insurance!

What sort of experiences have y'all had with the Chevy dealers in your neighborhood ?
:twisted:
Original Poster [OP]
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Chevy Dealers - Your opinions...?

Postby ihatemybike » February 23rd 2010, 12:41pm

No dealer service lays a wrench on my vans, but Al Piemonte Chevrolet's parts department has seen my face a few times. For the most part, they'll price match.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86
ihatemybike
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » February 23rd 2010, 1:29pm

The only time I go to a dealership is when no one else sells the part. Thank god for my commercial account. Those retail prices are just nuts.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Mr_Bowtie » February 23rd 2010, 3:38pm

Stealerships don't get my business! :snooty:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby tedanderson » February 23rd 2010, 6:08pm

^X2 on the stealerships!

My only major problem with those guys is that for what they charge you, they only offer mediocre service. I once went to the stealership to get some keys made. I purposely went there thinking that I was going to get one cut from a factory key blank but instead, they had one of those Ilco setups like you see in the drug store. :(

What I like about the stealership that is associated with my German made car is that at least they kiss you and give you flowers and candy on your way out the door. :lol: But in all seriousness, there is a perception that the dealership provides the best service from factory-trained technicians. But if you could see what was behind the curtain, you would discover that they are just like any other repair shop that wants to turn a profit. I can't begin to tell you how often I see the Advance Auto Parts or the Autozone delivery truck dropping something off at my local neighborhood Chevy dealer.
tedanderson
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 76
Alias (AKA): 2Big4aMiniVan
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

Postby ihatemybike » February 23rd 2010, 6:23pm

tedanderson wrote:I purposely went there thinking that I was going to get one cut from a factory key blank but instead, they had one of those Ilco setups like you see in the drug store.

You need to tell them you want a fresh key cut from the VIN. I do this with every used van.
Aaron

1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
ihatemybike
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » February 23rd 2010, 7:39pm

Thanks! So if I use those exact words, they'll know what I'm talking about?
tedanderson
Years of Membership: tedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full yearstedanderson has been a member for 11 full years

Postby ihatemybike » February 23rd 2010, 8:51pm

Every dealer I've gone to for this did. Most likely will need to bring in your registration and ID.
Aaron

ihatemybike
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » February 24th 2010, 1:53am

Mr_Bowtie wrote:Stealerships don't get my business! :snooty:

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby doyoulikeithere [OP] » February 24th 2010, 4:01am

Thanks for some great response folks.

I do have to go get the recall part installed, and I'm glad the stealership let me know about it.
The got my VIN when some one was kind enough to plow into my rear bumper, and therefore buy me a new one, installed at the dealer of course.
6 months later I got the recall notice in the mail.

I must say as I wandered around wasting my saturday morning, expecting installation of a part they didnt have in stock, I noticed the price tags on some new vehicles and almost had a coronary!

New Sierra 2500 Duramax diesels are virtually seventy grand before tax !
Stealership, I love it. And we all bailed them out !!
Original Poster [OP]
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: doyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full yearsdoyoulikeithere has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » February 24th 2010, 5:44am

Thinking more about this. I wonder why you would let them touch your van. I mean it has only been twenty three years since they built that seat. I would not waste any more time with them. Obtain a copy of the recall, the bolt, and do it yourself. I suspect that in the process of replacing a bolt that they may discover that your headlight fluid is low. Good Luck. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tedanderson » February 24th 2010, 6:26am

I must say as I wandered around wasting my saturday morning, expecting installation of a part they didnt have in stock

The mission of the service department is to keep you in there long enough to have you browsing for a new vehicle. They knew that they didn't have the part. They just needed to get you in there at any cost.
tedanderson

Postby rev_les » February 24th 2010, 6:29am

When I worked for Cadillac/Hummer, we were expected to properly diagnose and fix problems and provide excellent service to the customer. We were also encouraged to find legitimate problems the customer was unaware of that needed to be addressed. I deal with all makes of dealerships daily, and I can say, some are good,with a totally professional group of auto techs, and some I wonder how they stay in business. A service department IS there to make money, otherwise there wouldn't BE a service department, parts and service are the backbone of a dealership, new car sales just feed the service department warranty and service work.
Figure out the problem before buying parts
NRA Lifetime Member
2'nd amendment supporter
'13 Jeep Patriot
'01 Safari 150K 4.3 "W" 3.42's
'87 Monte Carlo SS
'79 Avco 32' RV
rev_les
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: rev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full yearsrev_les has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Les
Extra Info: LS 4.3 RWD

Postby astroturf » February 28th 2010, 2:58pm

doyoulikeithere, How did this turn out for you? Thanks, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Jasen » February 28th 2010, 5:12pm

I took mine in a few years back. It kept making an odd noise in the front end and I couldn't find it. I left it for a couple hours and they couldn't find it either. I did get a wash out of it. I ended up spraying WD40 around and haven't heard the noise sense.

As far as Key's. all I got when I bought it was one el cheapo spare key which kind of cut into your fingers when starting the van.. I took it to a real lock smith and had a GM key cut for it, with the plastic GM logo.
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby 01safari » February 28th 2010, 6:12pm

I got one of those recall notices for the turn signal switch overloading with additional trailer lighting. I tow maybe twice a year to home depot. But I got tired of all mail coming, so I took it in. The recall was to inspect and replace as neccesary. They replaced the switch and now about 1 on every 20 turns, the signal will not cancel. No, I'm not going back to leave my van there only to be disappointed again. :screaming:
01safari
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: 01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years01safari has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: RWD

Postby doyoulikeithere [OP] » March 1st 2010, 1:28am

I was and still am pissed that they sent me the "Invite", then took my appointment, and then waited for me to arrive, 50 kilometers round trip and all they could say to me for basically wasting and messing up my entire Saturday morning, is : sorry but we aren't allowed to check stock on recalls beforehand until we know what we will need.
The whole time I was there I felt like i did at an overpriced eye doctor's office once. They tried to sell me glasses for 1250 bucks!! GM wants seventy grand for a pickup!
The waiting room carpet cost more than my van. The big screen tv in there was way nicer than any of my friends own. Anyways, I haven't gone or called back yet. I' F'n tempted to make the appointment and then not show a couple of times though. The ONLY thing that would make me really go get it done is the sticky ICBC insurance adjusters that would love to blame my van that didnt do the recall on something unrelated, and gouch me with a bad claim at some point. Better to be able to say, no that was not the cause! Maybe I will book an appointment for next weekend. lol.
Original Poster [OP]
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » March 1st 2010, 1:36am

Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to a happy ending. Hope you get it worked out. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby doyoulikeithere [OP] » March 1st 2010, 4:03am

i will let you know ho they do next round.
Original Poster [OP]
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby doyoulikeithere [OP] » April 16th 2010, 3:03am

Well, I have been in to have this done now to my 2 oldest vans.
They were friendly and gave me a ride anywhere, and a ride back when they were done. The coffee was good too.

When I made the appointment to get the second van done, I questioned the guy about if the parts would be in stock, and good thing too, or I would been sent home again.
Seems on recal jobs, they dont check stock until the vehicle arrives and they look at it. GM Policy I was told.
Original Poster [OP]
doyoulikeithere
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Next