Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Is it booster or pump

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Astroplane 
#1 ·
Ok wasn't sure where to post this as I'm not sure how to tell the cause.

My new to me 2001 astro has no power steering and brake peddal is hard to push. is this the brake booster or power steering pump? How can i tell. Guy I bought it from said it was the booster but I prefer to find out before i swap the part to only find out he was wrong.

Van info:
2001 Astro Cargo RWD

Neither one is cheap so i'll be getting my replacement part from one of the yards around here.

#4 ·
Astroplane said:
Simple stuff first: Fluid level, make sure belt is not slipping on power steering pump pulley. Are there wires on the back of the power steering pump?
It's kinda dark here right now, was doing most of this by "flashlight app" on my touch, but i couldn't see any wires on the steering pump, when I pulled the dip stick for it i didn't see any mark from fluid either though so my guess is its empty. Should I just throw some fluid at it and see what it does or is it too late for the pump with no fluid in it?

#5 ·
First of all...I have no idea if the two systems are connected...I don't think they are, but I don't know for sure on your model yr.

The power steering pump, absolutely....go ahead and fill up the power steering pump. Fire it up and you'll either be fine or a leak will show itself. To really make a leak show it's secrets(if needed) have someone turn and hold the steering wheel(builds pressure) while you look for the leak location.

#6 ·
loopie said:
First of all...I have no idea if the two systems are connected...I don't think they are, but I don't know for sure on your model yr.

The power steering pump, absolutely....go ahead and fill up the power steering pump. Fire it up and you'll either be fine or a leak will show itself. To really make a leak show it's secrets(if needed) have someone turn and hold the steering wheel(builds pressure) while you look for the leak location.
Everything I have found online indicates the 2001 came with a hydrobooster. I'll throw some fluid in it after work and see where I stand. Who knows maybe its just a leak that ran it empty and the PO just assumed it was the booster. The powersteering reservoir was covered in a black oil, but it seemed to be the only really dirty section of the engine bay. so maybe it is some sort of leak up near the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.